The Student Room Group

Year 10 english speaking exam

Ok so it's your fellow northern Irish Geordie again :smile: I was wondering about hat happens durin ga year 10 English speaking exam (speech) and tips on how to get a high grade.
Also if anyone has any ideas on how to not have a panic attack before/during/after I would appreciate them.
Basically you stand in front of the class, someone starts recording, the teacher says your name, and then you start your speech. Then people ask you questions about it after.

I ****ing hated it, but it wasn't that bad lmao.

As for getting a high grade (I didn't) but looking at the audience, making hand gestures, not just standing completely still at the front, etc would help. Also, use ambitious vocabulary and articulate your voice.

I only got a pass lmao oops

But the grade you get in this literally means nothing so yeah
Reply 2
'But the grade you get in this literally means nothing so yeah'

I wouldn't say that. The post-16 institutions are as aware of the Spoken Language certification as much as anything else. It's a useful indicator of what an individual is capable of producing when it comes to public speaking and formal presentations. There's a big discursive element to most post-16 qualifications; I'd find it a bit rum if a student never said anything in class but supposedly had a 'Distinction' in Spoken English. I'd use it as a foundation for discussion with parents, carers and colleagues.
Original post by Davy611
I'd find it a bit rum if a student never said anything in class but supposedly had a 'Distinction' in Spoken English.

hmm but I do that, and I achieved a distinction. Tbh I only rarely participate if I find the lesson interesting, otherwise I'd perfectly be happy getting on with my own work.
It's not that bad, just don't think about it beforehand. I made a presentation so I didn't have to read notes. Just project your voice and look around to simulate speaking to the entire class as you speak. Remember, most people are nervous and you might start involuntarily shaking - it's normal and you'll notice lots of people do it. After like 10 seconds you get used to it and you'll be fine :smile:

What pissed me off is that people who were pussies did it with just the teacher there and achieved a distinction. I got a distinction, but my friend didn't despite having a good speech. They're testing your ability to communicate so the subject you do the speech/presentation on doesn't matter.
Reply 5
Interesting. Thanks for the honest reply. I think that contributing your opinions more regularly might help more lessons be more interesting. I don't mean incessantly (like we know some people do and they don't make a lot of sense) but thoughtful and reasoned contributions really help your teacher assess your understanding (and they appreciate you being involved too). Otherwise, it's just the teacher....
Original post by mez_merising
hmm but I do that, and I achieved a distinction. Tbh I only rarely participate if I find the lesson interesting, otherwise I'd perfectly be happy getting on with my own work.
Original post by Davy611
Interesting. Thanks for the honest reply. I think that contributing your opinions more regularly might help more lessons be more interesting. I don't mean incessantly (like we know some people do and they don't make a lot of sense) but thoughtful and reasoned contributions really help your teacher assess your understanding (and they appreciate you being involved too). Otherwise, it's just the teacher....

ah true true, my teachers had a talent for droning on for hours straight😂😂
ive got mine on tuesday oof i just wrote a speech about the significance of music and i wrote a load of Que cards. Im looking for a distinction so i can use it for college interviews
i got a distinction when i did mine. I just talked about the digestive system based on what i was learning in science. If you talk about a seemingly complex topic, when you already learn it in class, it makes you look like you spent a lot of time condensing that topic from lots of research.
Hi. I did this as a Year 9 student 2 years ago (I’m about to start Y11) and I got a distinction.The most important thing to remember is that overall, exam boards do not determine your overall grade because of how well you do but I would honestly recommend you try for the highest grade that challenges you the most as it will help you feel more confident going in to your GCSE Language exam, where, in one question in Paper 2 (AQA), you may be required to write a speech on a specific topic, so it’s important that you have the practise now whilst it doesn’t matter as much. You can quickly learn from your mistakes before the exam.
I'm writing about if electric chairs should be banned , i don't think we are doing presentations but are just talking about our topic so I will just use my notes and that's basically what i was wondering if i can use my notes during it?

Quick Reply

Latest