The Student Room Group

P1 Unofficial Markscheme (with questions) ^-^

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rosie_xxxoo
Do youve got a foundation markscheme too??😊😊

Awh no sorry :frown: Maybe look on this thread

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3393511&page=37&p=56941651#post56941651

and ask other people who did foundation if they can remember their answers?
Original post by *SweaterWeather*
Awh no sorry :frown: Maybe look on this thread

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3393511&page=37&p=56941651#post56941651

and ask other people who did foundation if they can remember their answers?

Thankyou:smile:
P1 Unofficial Mark Scheme (ALL 60 MARKS)

1. (Fill in the gaps question)
Energy in a battery = Chemical [1]
Energy from the motor = Kinetic [1]
Energy is wasted as heat and = Sound [1]

2. What was the efficiency of the leaf blower, shown on the Sankey Diagram [2]
The useful energy was 3 boxes high, out of the total energy which was 8 boxes. 3/8 x 100 =37.5% [2]

3. Payback Time Table [6]
a) Loft insulation was the best with a payback time of 2 years
Cavity wall insulation was second best with a payback time of 2.87(?) years
Energy efficient boiler was third best with a payback time of 6.25 years
Double glazed windows were worst with a payback time of 100 years
(im not sure about the order of the second and third though)
(bi) What is a U-Value? [1]
A U-Value is how fast heat transfers through a material (specifically, the amount of energy that passes though 1m² of material in 1 second when the temperature difference across it is 1°C)
(bii) When something is a better insulator, what will happen to the U-Value? [1]
It decreases

(4) Why could the data not be shown on a bar chart? [1]
The data is continuous
(bi) The newspaper said that 10% energy was saved when you heated the house to 1°C less, was it correct? [2]
Yes, because 7.2/8 = 0.9, and (1-0.9) x 100 = 10%, so they were correct
(bi) How long was the heater turned on for? [2]
30 minutes + 30 minutes = 60 minutes? ( unsure about this one)
(bii) Why does the the outside temperature have to be kept the same? [1]
It makes the test fairer, as on a hot day less energy would be required to heat the house to a given temperature
(biii) Why may the newspaper not be correct? [2]
If the outside temperature was warmer than the desired inside temperature, energy would be used to cool the house not warm it. Also, the rate of energy change would vary with the difference in temperature.
(biv) The resolution –0.5 or 1 or 5 [1]
(bv) At what temperature did the thermostat in the house turn on (shown on the weirdly shapedgraph)[1]
20.5°C
(5ai) What waves are used for communication with the satellite?[1]
Microwaves
(aii)What happens to the ray as it passes through the ionosphere? [1]
It is refracted
(b) Continue the line to the ionosphere, then connect it to the satellite, with arrows for direction! [2]
(bii) Draw the normal [1]
(biii) What are two things that are the same for all electromagnetic waves? [2]
-Travel at the same speed in a vacuum
- Are transverse waves
(6) What energy from the sun is absorbed by the solar panels?[1]
Infra red radiation
(bi) Why is the maximum capacity factor not always reached by the solar panels? [2]
- The sun is only shining part of the time (okay its always shining, but clouds and stuff)
- This means the solar panels are not always generating energy
(bii) Why are renewable sources of energy less reliable than renewable sources? [3]
- Renewable sources depend on the weather (eg sun for solar panels and wind for wind turbines)
- This means they are not always generating electricity and cannot be controlled when they do/don’t- So they have a lower capacity factor
(biii) Why does the specific heat capacity of the molten chemical have to be high? [1]
The thermal energy has to be retained so more energy can be stored, and therefore more energy released at the end.
(biii) Why is solar energy better than the other remewable sources of energy) [1]
- It releases more energy (or whatever was shown on the table - it had the highest value)
- The sun always shines, it just might generate less energy sometimes (eg solar panels still generate energy on dark/cloudy days, just a bit less)
(biv) How many days/hours (idk) can the town be supplied for?[3]
Forgotten the numbers, but it was 5.7 to 2 significant figures
(bv) How does the heated water generate electricity? [3]
The heated water turns into steam the drives the generator
The generator contains a magnet that turns inside a coil to generate electricity

(7) What is the effect called? [1]
The Doppler effect
(b) What happens to the wave coming back from the cricket ball? [3]
- Frequency increases
- Wavelength decreases
- Speed stays the same (as speed = wavelength x frequency so the change balances out)

(8) What was the specific heat capacity of the liquid in the jar thing? [4]
- E= mass x specific heat capacity x temperature change
- Specific heat capacity = Energy / Mass x temperature change
- J/kg°C
(b) Conduction of in the can-cooler? [4]
- The can-cooler makes the outside of the can cold
- Therefore there is a difference in temperature between the temperature of the liquid, and the outside
- Thermal energy moves by conduction from the liquid to the can-cooler
- Conduction is where the particles in the metal vibrate, and since they are arranged tightly in a regular structure, the vibrations are passed along the metal.
- Since thermal energy has transferred from the drink to the can-cooler, the drink is now chilled
(bii) How is a convection current created around the can-cooler/can?[3]
The particles that gained heat from the (relatively) warm drink move faster as they have more kinetic energy, so expand and cause the gas to rise. Then it cools as the warm air displacesthe cooler air, and the process repeats as cool air flows to fill the gap leftby the rising, heated air.
(biii) What adaptions can be made to emit more heat? [2]
- Black/matt surface
- Larger surface area
(there are probably a few others you can have for this too)

(Also, I keep editing it, so I might add in something if i'm proved wrong, i'm not trying to be sneaky and hide my mistakes xD)

Hiya,

For the conduction question I'm a bit scared. I described the process of conduction because I saw a mark scheme with a similar question. My 4 points are:

1 - Metal has free electrons
2 - They heat up and gain KE
3 - These collide with other particles
4 - Energy is transferred through the metal can

That would have gotten me 4/4 according to previous mark schemes but do you think that they will penalise me?
(edited 8 years ago)
You are supposed to connect the line from the ionosphere to the receiver, not the satellite.
Original post by Sarah78615
Hiya,

For the conduction question I'm a bit scared. I described the process of conduction because I saw a mark scheme with a similar question. My 4 points are:

1 - Metal has free electrons
2 - They heat up and gain KE
3 - These collide with other particles
4 - Energy is transferred through the metal can

That would have gotten me 4/4 according to previous mark schemes but do you think that they will penalise me?

P.S. How did you work out the"how many days can the town be provided for Q?"

I think that would get you 3/4 probably, as there was something about the question (unfortunately I cant remember it exactly) that made me think that something else was required? However, I may be wrong and that might get you 4! We can hope ^-^

For the days and town question:
The energy generated was 2,200,000 J, and the town used up 140,000 a day
So I did 2,200,000 divided by 140,000 to get 15.7, which I rounded up to 16 for the 2.s.f thing :biggrin:
Original post by sandvika
You are supposed to connect the line from the ionosphere to the receiver, not the satellite.

Ohhh yeah thanks :biggrin: Got the words mixed up, the satellite would be a weird line o.O (the receiver was the thing that looked like a pylon on the surface of the earth right?)
Ohhh yeah thanks :biggrin: Got the words mixed up, the satellite would be a weird line o.O (the receiver was the thing that looked like a pylon on the surface of the earth right?)

Posted from TSR Mobile

The receiver looked like a.. receiver but ye it was on the planet. To scale it was probably 30 miles tall
Original post by sandvika
Posted from TSR Mobile

The receiver looked like a.. receiver but ye it was on the planet. To scale it was probably 30 miles tall

Oh I didnt know what a receiver even looked like :colondollar: but good ^-^ haha
52/60 according to this. Happy with that considering I was winging it 90% of the time.
Original post by wannabe_lawyer
52/60 according to this. Happy with that considering I was winging it 90% of the time.

Congratulations that's great! :biggrin:
(though sorry if I got answers wrong and gave you false hope xD)
But yeah P1 is great as most of it's just bull****ing with some basic knowledge inserted occasionally ^-^
Congratulations that's great! :biggrin:
(though sorry if I got answers wrong and gave you false hope xD)
But yeah P1 is great as most of it's just bull****ing with some basic knowledge inserted occasionally ^-^

I tried to be harsh in giving myself marks so it shouldn't be too far off XD And I know right, I don't know why I even bothered revising -.- could have done this with zero revision
Wait a second...isnt the days and town question 16 hours???? because u had to round it to 2sf
got around 47 to 50? i think? Is that likely to be an A*? on P1 also what is the general feel of the exam? i found it to be good but what does everyone think about it? x
5 B (IV) it's 15.714
so would be 16 hours to 2 SF
Original post by ibrahim24
Wait a second...isnt the days and town question 16 hours???? because u had to round it to 2sf

Original post by duckasocks
5 B (IV) it's 15.714
so would be 16 hours to 2 SF

Yeah 16 hours is right I forgot the 1 before the 5.7, sorry for the confusion ^-^ (though I wasnt sure if it was days or hours that was asked in the question, I couldnt remember xD)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Callnitram
got around 47 to 50? i think? Is that likely to be an A*? on P1 also what is the general feel of the exam? i found it to be good but what does everyone think about it? x

That will be A* hopefully, ad the highest grade boundaries have been before is 46, and they are normally a bit lower than that, though it depends on your others too :biggrin:
That will be A* hopefully, ad the highest grade boundaries have been before is 46, and they are normally a bit lower than that, though it depends on your others too :biggrin:

So do you think it will be an A*? 46 marks

Also do you think the grade boundaries will lower or rise?
Thanks, got about 50 that paper was easy
Original post by Mynigga69
So do you think it will be an A*? 46 marks

Also do you think the grade boundaries will lower or rise?

I really don't know, as I have no idea how the general population found it :smile: Some people seem to have found it hard, whereas other have found it easy...

But seeing as they rose from about 43 to 46, I don't think they could go much higher, so hopefully that will be the boundary (or even lower :colone:)

We can't tell for sure until results day :redface: :h:
Original post by metrize
Thanks, got about 50 that paper was easy

Well doneeee :biggrin: :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending