The Student Room Group

Counselling. A good career?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
HiI qualified last year with a BA in Counselling, happy to help with any questions :smile:
Hi Timi97, I'm doing a counselling concepts course in Preston, Lancashire. I would like to continue my studies but a) I'm old, 62 in September and b) I'm not looking to get a full time job but something where I can do maybe 4 to 5 hours a week to supplement my income. I thought there would be a rise in demand due to vivid but I don't know how true that is. Do you think that I could make a go of it? I'm sure I've got the brain power and a good attitude but I would hate to do all the studying, and then set up a self employed business, and have it fall over. What do you think?
I was looking into this too at 42 years of age but after alot of research realise its all a rip off as per usual, therfore will keep my current employment and volunteer at the samaritains or the like to be helpful to society.
Studying is lovely, but not for what's being charged on top and if you find it hard go make ends meet as alot of counsellors seem to do, how helpful are you really going to be
Reply 23
Original post by Zestylemons
Hiya, I know this is an old thread but I wanted to give my 2 cents on the subject.. I'm about to embark on my level 3 and I absolutely love it! Like you, I am also nervous about finding (paid) work. However, although there are many volunteer counsellors it doesn't mean that everyone can access them.

Volunteer counsellors often work within a charity organisation which means they are often swamped with people that need help so a waiting list happens, and they have a limited time frame to see them. Furthermore, volunteering is often used by counsellor to gain more experience or because they want to supplement their actual work, so it isn't a "be all end all".

In the NHS the counselling is provided for free by counsellors who are paid, however yet again the sessions are cut short unless it is for a "major serious" reason.

I personally look forward to going self employed one day because I know there are people out there that desperately want longer than the 6 sessions often provided, and there are many people willing to pay for counselling. My current counsellor and many others I know are swamped with clients! So don't worry :smile: x

Hi! I would love to know if this all worked out? I am at University studying Forensic Psychology right now, but counselling does appeal to me. I am unsure of what the best ways to get into it is, and once i have obtained qualifications, whether it would be better to gain experience through companies who offer counselling services, or to go through the root of private practice straight away. This thread is 7 years old so by this time if all worked well you could be a counsellor right now! But if not, what was it that lead you down another path?
Thanks😊
Reply 24
Original post by Chloefaye9
Original post by jenny07
Hi,

Hi, just seen your post but I think I can offer some advice! To become certified by counselling organisations like the BACP you more often than not need to have completed an accredited postgraduate degree. In my case I’ve applied for the undergraduate counselling and psychotherapy degree at UCLAN (in Preston) with the intent to then progress onto their integrative postgraduate degree and become certified. This is the least convoluted way I could find and although time consuming it should be worth the time. Hope this helps!

Hi I know this is five years later, I want to see what you are doing now. I can’t make my mind up about what degree I want to do. Do you regret doing ur degree. Can you find employment easily? Thank you
Reply 25
I work part time as UKCP registered Counsellor. Unfortunately counselling/psychotherapy is not profitable job and very few can make career out of it. Usually by delivering training, not by an actual therapy.
The fees of full clinical membership is comparable with membership of well paid medical profession but income from counselling is low. After cost of supervision, every six client hours and costs of CPDs, one is lucky if they are not out of pocket. If an employer reimburses cost of supervision, even partly, it is good. Employed counsellors get paid significantly less than private ones, but income for the freelance counsellors is unpredictable. It depends on client"s commitment and their financial viablility. There are many therapists on the market. There's a preconception amongst the therapists that by asking clients to pay, we may victimise them twice, clients suffered already by how life treated them. It is meaningful job but due to uncertain therapeutic outcome E.g. client's unrealistic expectations, it is not always rewarding.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending