The Student Room Group

Bsc psychology with counselling

. .
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by martaserrao_
Does anyone study Bsc psychology with counselling at uni? What kind of modules do you learn about? Is it easier to get a masters after because it’s specific compared to just Bsc psychology? I’m torn between the two

I did this degree with the Open University. It was mostly psychology modules, as it needs to be the get the BPS accreditation. There were only 2 counselling specific modules, but I really enjoyed them. I chose it because I was interested in going into counselling. It doesn't matter which you choose, as long as it is accredited by the BPS.
Original post by Nerol
I did this degree with the Open University. It was mostly psychology modules, as it needs to be the get the BPS accreditation. There were only 2 counselling specific modules, but I really enjoyed them. I chose it because I was interested in going into counselling. It doesn't matter which you choose, as long as it is accredited by the BPS.

My teacher did say that Bsc Psychology “opens more doors” in terms of future career paths, but surely it’s the same? Can you please elaborate more on the counselling modules ? What stuff did you learn about ?
(edited 4 months ago)
My teacher did say that Bsc Psychology “opens more doors” in terms of future career paths, but surely it’s the same? Can you please elaborate more on the counselling modules ? What stuff did you learn about ?

Hi @martaserrao_ ,

I am currently in my final year of BSc Psychology. Usually courses will have their own webpages with information about modules and what is thigh in each module specifically. These are quite easy to find if you google the course and different universities (if you are not sure which university you want to look at, have a look at a few to get an idea of what is taught in each module as they will likely be similar).

I hope this helps and good luck!

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 4

Honestly, they open the same doors. The counselling module covered an overview of different therapeutic approaches, like CBT, person centred therapy, psychodynamic therapy etc. There was also a module about counselling in forensic settings, which covered things like working in forensic contexts, links between mental health and criminality etc. I enjoyed it and, for me, it confirmed my interest in counselling and psychotherapy.

Quick Reply

Latest