The Student Room Group

How to get into counselling with a sociology and criminology degree

I am currently unemployed but would like to get into counselling using my sociology degree I don't necessarily want to go back to university to do another course is it possible to do this without having to study again
Original post by Nafisa_786
I am currently unemployed but would like to get into counselling using my sociology degree I don't necessarily want to go back to university to do another course is it possible to do this without having to study again

This is a good place to start your research:

https://www.bacp.co.uk/careers/careers-in-counselling/training/

:smile:
Hi there :hello: Many people who go to University begin careers in sectors not directly related to their degree, so I think it's definitely a possibility! Besides, during your sociology degree, you will have developed relevant knowledge and many skills that would make you a great counsellor! You could also consider doing a short, online course relevant to counselling as this won't be as overwhelming as a degree. At Wrexham University, we allow our students to have access to our Careers and Employability team after graduation, is this something that your University offered? If so, it may be worth booking a one-to-one appointment with them for additional support and advice... they may even be able to point you in the direction of local counselling firms. Hope this helps.

Best of luck in your counselling endeavours!

Lauren
WrexhamUniReps

Quick Reply

Latest