The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

M303 Further Pure Mathematics

I was thinking about doing M303 Further Pure Maths. How difficult/enjoyable/rigourous etc has anyone who has done it found it to be?
Does anyone have a pdf of the notes they can email me?
How long is it before the teaching of a module officially starts that the lecture notes are sent out?
Reply 1
I didn't do it and don't have any pdfs, sorry.

There are three sample chapters here and a tutor has put up some resources here.

The stuff from previous courses that didn't make it into M303 is here if that's of any interest.

The M303 2014 FB group is probably the best place to find out how they fared.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
I completed this course in 2016 and achieved a grade 2 pass. It's a very tough course, in my opinion. You should have completed M208 (or its equivalent) recently prior to starting M303 in order to be properly prepared. Tutor support is excellent, but the textbooks don't do much to make the material accessible and sometimes they seem to make it deliberately obscure. Since you will spend most of your time slogging through the textbooks, this is unfortunate. The workload is relentless. I had no time for anything else and had to put the rest of my life on hold until the course was over. Preparing for the exam is difficult because of the lack of past papers. The online quizzes are good, but don't simulate exam conditions well. With hindsight I should have left more time for doing practice papers under exam conditions. However, having completed the course I'm glad I stuck it out. Think of it as climbing a mountain: painful at the time but earning a lifelong sense of achievement. Looking back, I feel I've gained something valuable which is partly a kind of mathematical maturity, and partly a kind of humility.
(edited 7 years ago)
I did the course and sat the exam in 2015, on its first presentation, and got a distinction, which surprised me, as the exam was very time-pressured, and some of the TMAs were challenging, to say the least. However, I think it is a brilliant course and took me to a new level of dealing with stuff you find nearly overwhelming, but, trusting your instincts and, having found a way through the fog, you also find you somehow emerge, miraculously, at the other side with a new awareness. It was all very interesting, and perhaps an introduction to working at a more advanced level. There were lots of errors in the original textbooks, but I think the OU will have rectified them. I completely recommend it if you are serious about advancing your ambitions in maths and, although I have to say it nearly killed me, as I have a massively full-on job, and was also caring for my elderly dad, i wouldn't have missed it. The stuff on Rings and Fields is amazing, as the topology, and cryptography. A lot of the material is really current and cutting-edge. God bless the OU for making the effort to create something at this level which you can do at home.
Could anyone send me some past papers for this module? I don't do the course but I've been using some of the lecture notes for a course at my university with similar content, so I was interested to see what the exam is like. It seems the only way of getting hold of a paper is to buy it from what I've seen so far...
Reply 5
Original post by peronius
I completed this course in 2016 and achieved a grade 2 pass. It's a very tough course, in my opinion. You should have completed M208 (or its equivalent) recently prior to starting M303 in order to be properly prepared. Tutor support is excellent, but the textbooks don't do much to make the material accessible and sometimes they seem to make it deliberately obscure. Since you will spend most of your time slogging through the textbooks, this is unfortunate. The workload is relentless. I had no time for anything else and had to put the rest of my life on hold until the course was over. Preparing for the exam is difficult because of the lack of past papers. The online quizzes are good, but don't simulate exam conditions well. With hindsight I should have left more time for doing practice papers under exam conditions. However, having completed the course I'm glad I stuck it out. Think of it as climbing a mountain: painful at the time but earning a lifelong sense of achievement. Looking back, I feel I've gained something valuable which is partly a kind of mathematical maturity, and partly a kind of humility.

Hi Peronius,

Please do you still have you M303 module books? If yes, please are you willing to sell?

I will very much appreciate a response or a referral.

Many Thanks...
Reply 6
Original post by malcuzynski
I did the course and sat the exam in 2015, on its first presentation, and got a distinction, which surprised me, as the exam was very time-pressured, and some of the TMAs were challenging, to say the least. However, I think it is a brilliant course and took me to a new level of dealing with stuff you find nearly overwhelming, but, trusting your instincts and, having found a way through the fog, you also find you somehow emerge, miraculously, at the other side with a new awareness. It was all very interesting, and perhaps an introduction to working at a more advanced level. There were lots of errors in the original textbooks, but I think the OU will have rectified them. I completely recommend it if you are serious about advancing your ambitions in maths and, although I have to say it nearly killed me, as I have a massively full-on job, and was also caring for my elderly dad, i wouldn't have missed it. The stuff on Rings and Fields is amazing, as the topology, and cryptography. A lot of the material is really current and cutting-edge. God bless the OU for making the effort to create something at this level which you can do at home.

malcuzynski,

Please do you still have you M303 module books? If yes, please are you willing to sell? Any referrals will be appreciated.

Many thanks..

I will very much appreciate a response or a referral.

Many Thanks...

Quick Reply

Latest