The Student Room Group

The official BTEC results discussion thread

Scroll to see replies

BTEC is also more stricter in some ways to require 70-80% of effort all the way through, while A-Level goes, 20%, 30%, 50% then 80% near exam.

They have exams now too.
Already at the moment there are more btecs being done compared to A levels in the past years, and I reckon there will be a lot more now becasue of the new GCSEs English exam being harder and it's this that allows you to do A levels or not in your sixth form.
Original post by MeMyselfand I
You mustn't forget everything's changed now. Btecs aren't like they were before, they now have exams. And if you look at the results you can see the exams are harder and they're not getting top marks for them, the coursework may help but it's a lot of work doing courserwork at the same time, with A levels you have all year to revise.
And I think it's just an old fashioned thing, just because they're so used to A levels they keep
Believing they're the best and nothing will change their minds, but I think it's time to wake up.

And if UCAS says it equivalent we should say so too.

Also I think A levels have better chance to get better grades because of the way it's marked, you have more ABCDEFG btecs only D*DMP

Hope that helps.

It did indeed, thank you sir. Unfortunately, I'm still on the NQF qualification and don't have any exams within my BTEC. No doubt its a challenge of workload week in week out (a lot like uni). Which is actually quite amusing to me, a course that's been at times less regarded by university but quite literally is a 100x better preparation for it, which as you stated is starting to come to light. The only thing with BTEC that slightly p1ssess me off is when I see teachers bending rules to get less ability students on a distinction, makes the ones who actually work seem less worthwhile. As in I would feel more accomplished with A-levels under me than a BTEC purely due to the way I've seen teachers approach it, f'ing annoying.
Original post by MusicalGenomes
It did indeed, thank you sir. Unfortunately, I'm still on the NQF qualification and don't have any exams within my BTEC. No doubt its a challenge of workload week in week out (a lot like uni). Which is actually quite amusing to me, a course that's been at times less regarded by university but quite literally is a 100x better preparation for it, which as you stated is starting to come to light. The only thing with BTEC that slightly p1ssess me off is when I see teachers bending rules to get less ability students on a distinction, makes the ones who actually work seem less worthwhile. As in I would feel more accomplished with A-levels under me than a BTEC purely due to the way I've seen teachers approach it, f'ing annoying.

even if teachers bend the rules and help out with coursework, the exam is there to stop that, and it's hard
Original post by MeMyselfand I
even if teachers bend the rules and help out with coursework, the exam is there to stop that, and it's hard

Again I have no idea, but its good to hear they're actually making it a challenge. Sounds like I was a year late to the party, still think I'm just gunna re do another year in intensive a levels and actually make myself a competitive application. Ta anyways.
has anyone done BTEC sport unit 1 anatomy and physiology?
Retaking in the summer hopefully get a merit or distinction, got a pass last time out...
I got a D*D* lasy year for my level 3 sub 90 credit and this year as i carried on i am predected to get a D*D*D* so im going to continue my hard work
Original post by GOI983
Guys hear me out...

I’m really worried about the outcome of my grades for my level 3 extended certificates in business, sport and IT. 2 units in each subject are coursework based (internally marked) and 2 are exam based (externally marked). I am fine with the coursework and can achieve distinction and have achieved distinction for some of the subjects. However, when it comes to the exams for the subjects I’m getting grades such as P or Near pass. I’m really trying to get DDD-DDM by the end of the year, what’s the lowest grade I could get for each unit for each subject to get a D or M in it? Someone please help... and do the exams outweigh the coursework? I just want DDD-DDM and I work hard.

I only know btec sport. If you get a distinction in both coursework units that has alot more weight compared to the exam and controlled assesmewnt. Id say get dd in the cw and then a merit in the exam and coontrolled assesment will give you an overall D
I know bro, you can get distinction in any extended certificates in both courseworks. In the exam you can get a minimum of a merit and a pass in controlled assement to get a D overall. I’m blessed tho, conditional to Leeds and York, might take Leeds. Course was originally DDM, did EPQ got an A and they offered me access to Leeds and dropped it to DMM. I’ll defo get that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending