The Student Room Group

I work for the Scottish Government AMA.

As I summer job, I am currently working for the Scottish Government as a Arable Health Inspector.

Which involves; ensuring a good practise of health and safety is met in crops, grading crops for export/consumption and disinfecting equipment.

Info about me: I'm male, 19, Scottish and I am planning to study MENG Civil Engineering at the University of Strathclyde after the summer.

I'm considered a Junior, so I'm not very experienced. Appologies if I can't answer your question. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by SausageMan
As I summer job, I am currently working for the Scottish Government as a Arable Health

Interesting! Would you be able to tell me what an average workday looks like? (schedule) :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Furios
Interesting! Would you be able to tell me what an average workday looks like? (schedule) :smile:

We work in pairs and on an average day we visit 3 farms.

I wake up at 6:30am so I can make my lunch and clean my overalls. After that I meet up with my partner, around 7:30am and we go out to our first farm of the morning, which is assigned to us by head office.

Once we reach the farm, theres a small bit of paper work to fill out and we chat for a bit with the Farmer/Owner or who ever is their to greet us, to maintain good a good business Accumen. After that we just walk through the crops to check for disease/rogues and say to the farmer what our findings are. Then once we disinfect our overalls we go to the next farm and we usually finish around 1:00/2:00pm.

I hope this answers your question. :smile:
Reply 3
Bump.
As I summer job, I am currently working for the Scottish Government as a Arable Health Inspector.

Which involves; ensuring a good practise of health and safety is met in crops, grading crops for export/consumption and disinfecting equipment.

Info about me: I'm male, 19, Scottish and I am planning to study MENG Civil Engineering at the University of Strathclyde after the summer.

I'm considered a Junior, so I'm not very experienced. Appologies if I can't answer your question. :smile:

1. What was the process which led to you getting this job?

2. Did you have any prior knowledge or experience to do with your current work?
Reply 5
What do you think of the SNP?
Reply 6
Original post by simbasdragon
1. What was the process which led to you getting this job?

2. Did you have any prior knowledge or experience to do with your current work?

1. I saw the ad on this website: https://applications.work-for-scotland.org/pages/job_search_results.aspx?searchtype=all I applied and went to an interview down in Perth.

2. I didn't have any experience relevant to my current job apart from growing up on a farm during my childhood. They run a training course for new-comers down in Edinburgh, so you understand what to look for.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by flibber
What do you think of the SNP?

I quite like the SNP. I voted SNP in the general election and I voted yes in the referendum.

Pros:

Free university tuition, Free prescriptions, subsidized travel for students, Scottish Water hasn't been privatised (so that utility is pretty cheap) and local councils aren't mis-managed.

Cons:

Child Guardian Scheme seems a little bit Orwellian, the Curriculum for Excellence has been poorly executed and the Edinburgh Trams project was a disaster (however that was due to the Lib-Lab council).
Why are you working for those morons?
Reply 9
Original post by The_Mighty_Bush

He simply works for whichever party is in charge. It just happened that the SNP rode a wave of populism and anti-Labour and anti-Tory sentiment this year.

Perhaps you answered your own question
Original post by flibber
He simply works for whichever party is in charge. It just happened that the SNP rode a wave of populism and anti-Labour and anti-Tory sentiment this year.

I'm not referring to the SNP alone. I'd be perfectly happy if that monstrosity of a building was burnt to the ground with all the politicians still inside.
I'm not referring to the SNP alone. I'd be perfectly happy if that monstrosity of a building was burnt to the ground with all the politicians still inside.

Even the Conservative politicians?
Original post by flibber
Even the Conservative politicians?

I wouldn't enjoy it as much but I wouldn't care really. As long as that building is gone.
We work in pairs and on an average day we visit 3 farms.

I wake up at 6:30am so I can make my lunch and clean my overalls. After that I meet up with my partner, around 7:30am and we go out to our first farm of the morning, which is assigned to us by head office.

Once we reach the farm, theres a small bit of paper work to fill out and we chat for a bit with the Farmer/Owner or who ever is their to greet us, to maintain good a good business Accumen. After that we just walk through the crops to check for disease/rogues and say to the farmer what our findings are. Then once we disinfect our overalls we go to the next farm and we usually finish around 1:00/2:00pm.

I hope this answers your question. :smile:

Sounds like fun.

I quite like the SNP. I voted SNP in the general election and I voted yes in the referendum.

Pros:

Free university tuition, Free prescriptions, subsidized travel for students, Scottish Water hasn't been privatised (so that utility is pretty cheap) and local councils aren't mis-managed.

Cons:

Child Guardian Scheme seems a little bit Orwellian, the Curriculum for Excellence has been poorly executed and the Edinburgh Trams project was a disaster (however that was due to the Lib-Lab council).

You do realise England pays for your free univerities and perscriptions right? You get more money per person than any other UK member and you want to know what English think now instead of keeping Scottish in UK? We think they should **** off out of UK even my English teacher said that :biggrin: we'd be better off without scottish whinning for more money when they can't bring it up themselves as they already get more than they give anyway
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ckfeister
Sounds like fun.

You do realise England pays for your free univerities and perscriptions right? You get more money per person than any other UK member and you want to know what English think now instead of keeping Scottish in UK? We think they should **** off out of UK even my English teacher said that :biggrin: we'd be better off without scottish whinning for more money when they can't bring it up themselves as they already get more than they give anyway

I have responded to a similar rant before, so I shant feed another troll.

I am in support of full fiscal autonomy, which would mean that the Scottish Government would be in control of its own finances apart from monetary policy.
I wouldn't enjoy it as much but I wouldn't care really. As long as that building is gone.

I wouldn't go as far as burning that building. They're not exactly ISIS, nor are we.
I have responded to a similar rant before, so I shant feed another troll.

I am in support of full fiscal autonomy, which would mean that the Scottish Government would be in control of its own finances apart from monetary policy.

I'm no troll, they got 60% over taxing and spending why can't they use that instead of whinning for more power and money eh? They want more? Go independant and see the replay of 1700s when they were forced to unite with England when they was about to
collapse! My local area wants Scotland out and see how they will suffer without England backing them up then maybe they'll stop acting like the spoil brat.
Original post by ckfeister
I'm no troll, they got 60% over taxing and spending why can't they use that instead of whinning for more power and money eh? They want more? Go independant and see the replay of 1700s when they were forced to unite with England when they was about to
collapse! My local area wants Scotland out and see how they will suffer without England backing them up then maybe they'll stop acting like the spoil brat.

The findings from the Smith commission were not delivered in full. Meaning we don't control the majority of our fiscal policy.

I voted Yes in the referrendum so you don't need to convince me that Scotland should be an Independant country.
(edited 8 years ago)
The findings from the Smith commission were not delivered in full. Meaning we don't control the majority of our fiscal policy.

I voted Yes in the referrendum so you do need to convince me that Scotland should be an Independant country.

*Pine.

Quick Reply

Latest