The Student Room Group

Doctoral Loan eligibility

Hi,I am considering studying for a PhD in England, likely commencing summer '24.To support my studies, I have began researching the various funding modalities available. Among the available options is a Postdoctoral Loan, however, I am currently a Scottish resident until my wife completes her University degree at the end of the current academic year.Enrolment onto an English PhD programme would result in us residing, and my wife working, in England for the foreseeable future.What is the likelihood I would be accepted for a Doctoral Loan from SFE?Many thanks.
Original post by Michael 91
Hi,I am considering studying for a PhD in England, likely commencing summer '24.To support my studies, I have began researching the various funding modalities available. Among the available options is a Postdoctoral Loan, however, I am currently a Scottish resident until my wife completes her University degree at the end of the current academic year.Enrolment onto an English PhD programme would result in us residing, and my wife working, in England for the foreseeable future.What is the likelihood I would be accepted for a Doctoral Loan from SFE?Many thanks.

Hi Michael,

Just to confirm have you studied a Doctoral course before and would you still be classing Scotland as home or are you looking to permanently move to England outwith the purpose of study? Thanks, Jason
Reply 2
Hi Jason,

Many thanks for your reply.

I have not studied at Doctorate level yet, only Master's, which I completed in England during 21-22 academic year.

My wife and I would be seeking to move permanently, likely once she has completed her degree in Primary Education, which would enable her to gain employment as a teacher.

Thanks, Michael
Original post by Michael 91
Hi Jason,

Many thanks for your reply.

I have not studied at Doctorate level yet, only Master's, which I completed in England during 21-22 academic year.

My wife and I would be seeking to move permanently, likely once she has completed her degree in Primary Education, which would enable her to gain employment as a teacher.

Thanks, Michael

Hi Michael,

Thank you for confirming. In that case, you may be eligible if you are able to provide your evidence that shows you are permanently residing in England that is not for the purpose of study. You would need to post a paper application along with a cover letter explaining the situation.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1159458/sfe_pgl_application_form_2324_o.pdf

Postgraduate Loans (SFE)
Student Finance England
PO Box 210
Darlington
DL1 9HJ

Thanks, Clare

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending