The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
John Paul Jones
i'm looking forward to tomorrow - i'm gonna get this done :biggrin:

omg...how r u calm? tell me sumthing.....teach me sumthing
Reply 41
i am totally panicked.

i am doing britian 1918 - 51 , and today i found out that my teacher told me labour won an election when they didnt!!!!!!!! arghhhhhhhhh........................ ok, calm down...

i do american 1877 - 1980 too. its tough, i know the civil rights stuff but the dometsic stuff is a bit hazy. oh well, too late now!!
Reply 42
Gah, none of this Italian Unification stuff is sinking in!
kokopops
omg...how r u calm? tell me sumthing.....teach me sumthing

lol - if they ask about liberalism - talk about how Gladstonian Liberalism is different to that of generic Liberalism of that period, as written about by John Stuart Mill, you'll get a few brownie points for that,

the truth is i've been revising history loads - far too much as i've hardly done any english, oh well
Reply 44
John Paul Jones
lol - if they ask about liberalism - talk about how Gladstonian Liberalism is different to that of generic Liberalism of that period, as written about by John Stuart Mill, you'll get a few brownie points for that,

the truth is i've been revising history loads - far too much as i've hardly done any english, oh well

ive neglected hist a bit...with AS hist resits and eng and german .... oops!! hopefully the brit questions i want will come up and the italy will eb quite straight fwd and the european will tackle the church!
Reply 45
loadsa luck u guys
-x-
Yaaak!

It's less than 4 hours before the real exams! :frown: I've just blanked out and forgotten everything I've studied about British History in particular!!
so how did you find it??? the Irish question was a bit of a pain, but ok - the peel one was fine
I did the Dictatorships Paper.
Hmmm.... the source was tolerable.
The essay questions, I chose 2: Stalin and the Power Struggle as that was about the only thing I know about Stalin :smile: and it was good IMHO.

Britain 1918-1951..
The source was okay too. I wrote everything that my textbook said.. but I don't know how good that is.
The essay question, I looked at number 1 and had a laughing fit. For that module, that was the only essay my class wrote the entire year. ALL we know is Lloyd George, nothing else. So when we saw Lloyd George it was home run for all of us.

How was everyone elses?
lilsunflower
I did the Dictatorships Paper.
Hmmm.... the source was tolerable.
The essay questions, I chose 2: Stalin and the Power Struggle as that was about the only thing I know about Stalin :smile: and it was good IMHO.

Britain 1918-1951..
The source was okay too. I wrote everything that my textbook said.. but I don't know how good that is.
The essay question, I looked at number 1 and had a laughing fit. For that module, that was the only essay my class wrote the entire year. ALL we know is Lloyd George, nothing else. So when we saw Lloyd George it was home run for all of us.

How was everyone elses?

lol -sounds good - what do you need to get?

i did Russian 1885-1985 and Britaih 1841-1885

i did question A in the second section on the Purges

i also did question A in the second section of British oh Peel

only problem is i ran out of time on the synoptic so my Stalin essay was rather short
Reply 50
I did Britain 1918 -1951 too. I didn't really like the source question because in part b) i couldn't really refer to them much. I did the Lloyd George question too as did nearly everyone because it was the easiest and we'd done questions on him loads.

Totalitarian regimes: Source was ok although i don't know much about Marx or Stalin. I did the question on Hitler's foreign policy which wasn't too hard.

Overall probably got what i need if i do ok in the Appeasement paper on Friday.
Reply 51
i did the 1918 - 51 too.

i thought the british source was ok, but i bullsh*tted a lot!!

i did question 6, on appeasment, i wanted to do l.george but i started planning it and everything just left my head!!!
and to think... i'd been praying for a q on decline of the liberals!! oh well, appeasment was quite an easy q too..

the questions we got for u.s history were good!!
hester
i did the 1918 - 51 too.

i thought the british source was ok, but i bullsh*tted a lot!!

i did question 6, on appeasment, i wanted to do l.george but i started planning it and everything just left my head!!!
and to think... i'd been praying for a q on decline of the liberals!! oh well, appeasment was quite an easy q too..

the questions we got for u.s history were good!!

I found the source weird. In fact, I found both sources weird. Just not sure if I answered the question!

What did you guys write for the British source? Or even the Dictatorships paper? I feel that it was "good" considering how badly prepared I was, but not "good" in the sense I may not get my A.. not sure.
Reply 53
ARGH! This is the third time my message hasn't posted!

Overall I thought the exam went well, I wrote 10 sides for France/Italy and 8 for British - Economic and Social (got bored, couldn't be arsed).

No-one expected education to come up as the compulsory question in the British paper, even the teacher was surprised afterwards. I could remember various things so wrote a load down. I did the other question on the Poor Law Amendment Act as I knew quite a lot about that.

Italian Unification wasn't too bad as I wrote about Austrian weakness contributing to the risorgimento and France was about the Catholic Church where thankfully I had spent a lot of time revising that. I went in to details with dates, using any that I could remember and extra details to show I know the material.
Reply 54
Yay, my message posted!

As long as I revise for Public (I'd better not write Pubic in the exam, the B key on this keyoard is messed up at times) Health on Friday I should be fine *fingers crossed*

Celebrated by getting a Chicken Vindaloo and Rice and as I knew the guy at the meat counter he only charged me for the rice! England game tonight, but for now I'm going to play Xbox and sleep (possibly followed by cerimonial burning of books).
Reply 55
lilsunflower
I found the source weird. In fact, I found both sources weird. Just not sure if I answered the question!

What did you guys write for the British source? Or even the Dictatorships paper? I feel that it was "good" considering how badly prepared I was, but not "good" in the sense I may not get my A.. not sure.

for the source thing i found a really hard.

i basically said that both agree.. because.. um.. they just did! i said they didnt really go into enough details to disagree but i'm sure they would if they did.

then for b.. i wrote about how it was the changing times not the mistakes of the tories. I said the tories didnt really do much wrong, but they didnt make much change either. and that after ww2, the w/c were more aware and ppl wanted change and better things. they wanted to concentrate of rebuilding the country an thats what labour said they would do.
and then i said tories made the mistake of just thinking they would be elected after the war bcos l.george had after ww1, therfore they didnt try as much as they should.
but basically i said it wasnt that labour did anything right, or the tories did anything wrong, but that the war changed ppl's opinions and attitudes. i found it hard to put the sources into it too.. they were weak sources, no real content!
hester
for the source thing i found a really hard.

For a I just talked about how they agreed on the "ingratitude" etc. But because I always try to give another view, I talked about how they disagreed on their focal points. e.g. B said "think they don't have much experience" and how she felt they would mess up. And C talked about the "clever" Tories and their "tricks".... Hence they didn't altogether agree in that B pointed out Labour's weakness while C pointed out Tories' strength.

For b I just came up with lots of weird guesstimates.
I went back to the "appeal" of the Labour Party.. how they hadn't shown much in government from 1924 and 1928. How they didn't have the chance to pursue independent policy after 1931 due to Tory dominated Nat Govt. Also the belief that if not for WWII, it is highly unlikely that Labour would have won an election in 1940.

However, I also talked about how the Nat. Govt was "uninspiring" according to Martin Pugh... and how they put forward few reforms and in fact pursued protectionism and were more about Treasury Orthodoxy etc. Ummm.. also how they weren't prepared for the elections, how during the war they had been too absorbed in foreign policy to concentrate on domestic issues. How Churchill said "let me finish the job" compared to Labour's "Let Us Face the Future". Umm.. Beveridge Report and the changing times.... how war changed people etc.

Also, I added bits about Labour's "recovery" from the split in 1931. How they managed to get their act together and publish "Labour's Industrial Future" in 1937 and they were gradually embarking upon independent policy although they were hindered by the strengthened Conservative Nat. Govt in which they were a minority.

ARGH I felt so weird after writing all of that. I didn't say anything I felt comfortable with and I just quoted lots of historians and their studies. I didn't study this period so I found it hard and confusing.
Reply 57
lilsunflower

ARGH I felt so weird after writing all of that. I didn't say anything I felt comfortable with and I just quoted lots of historians and their studies. I didn't study this period so I found it hard and confusing.

i know.. i hadnt studied it either! it was hard. we all thought it might be foreign policy for the source paper.. o wwell.

at leaast the essay q's were easy enough to write about!!
hester
i know.. i hadnt studied it either! it was hard. we all thought it might be foreign policy for the source paper.. o wwell.

at leaast the essay q's were easy enough to write about!!

Same here. My hist teacher told us to study India and Palestine well. I think most people did Lloyd George though. Everyone in my class did Lloyd George.

:confused: I hope grade boundaries are low!
Reply 59
grade boundaries are never that high for history it's just the fact that they are all really close together (A=32 B=27) Hope i haven't done badly though. I need a B.

For the source question i wrote about how they both thought that the Conservatives would automatically win because they got through the war but that they disagreed on other things such as source B said that Labour were inexperienced and source C said about the Conservatives playing tricks and being clever or something.

part b) i wrote about the fact that the National Government pursuaded a policy of protection and about the devil's decade making loads of people unemployed and things. Also the fact that in foreign policy they eventually appeased Hitler which maybe made the war worse and that they concentrated too much on foreign policy and not enough on domestic policy even though there were a lot of problems at home.

However Labour actually said that they would try and improve housing and education after the Beveridge report which the Conservatives didn't say anything about. People also no longer trusted Churchill after the war and blamed him for unemployment and for following a policy of appesement so Attlee seemed like a better choice of leader for many.

I can't remember what else i wrote. Although i'm starting to realise what else i should have written

Latest

Trending

Trending