The Student Room Group

The Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Hi everyone,

Some of you might have seen my post in the TC2017 thread. I promised that I'd set up a website offering free applications feedback where people can submit apps and get tailored feedback free of charge.

I have some friends who are happy to help and have had kind offers from people on here too.

www.tcsmashers.com

I imagine this will be useful for you guys who will now be starting to apply for vac schemes.
Original post by TCchaser
Hi everyone,

Some of you might have seen my post in the TC2017 thread. I promised that I'd set up a website offering free applications feedback where people can submit apps and get tailored feedback free of charge.

I have some friends who are happy to help and have had kind offers from people on here too.

www.tcsmashers.com

I imagine this will be useful for you guys who will now be starting to apply for vac schemes.

http://www.tcsmashers.com/submit-my-application.html

There's a typo on point 3 - "tghat".

Otherwise, I am sure many people will appreciate what you're doing!

I have difficulty on telephone interviews; not application forms. Can you help me?
Original post by tehforum
http://www.tcsmashers.com/submit-my-application.html

There's a typo on point 3 - "tghat".

Otherwise, I am sure many people will appreciate what you're doing!

I have difficulty on telephone interviews; not application forms. Can you help me?

Thanks for pointing that out! I thought I had corrected that.

In relation to your query, it's something I've thought about - helping out with telephone interview and assessment centre advice. Although it's not something I'm offering on the website at the moment for various reasons, I'm happy for you to contact us via the website with further details. What I will then try to do is call you (either myself or one of the team), and give you written feedback afterwards. Please make sure you include a contact number and rough times/days of availability.
Reply 183
Just wondered if anyone had some advice on the following situation. Did two vacation schems this summer, at US/SC firms, but did not get a TC. My problem is that I'm currently sitting on a low 2.1 (62%) So I'm not overly optismistic about getting a place on winter vacation schemes/summer vacation schemes, so I'm unsure whether it's worth applying and potentially 'blackmarking' myself for the TC cycle in the summer.

Considering that I've already done two schemes, I'm considering focusing on my final year in an attempt to boost it to at a least a mid 2.1, before just applying for straight TCs. What do people think? I will be focusing on firms with a large intake.

PS: Word of warning guys, do not get complacent after getting a few vacation schemes!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 184
Original post by Tchelp
Just wondered if anyone had some advice on the following situation. Did two vacation schems this summer, at US/SC firms, but did not get a TC. My problem is that I'm currently sitting on a low 2.1 (62%) So I'm not overly optismistic about getting a place on winter vacation schemes/summer vacation schemes, so I'm unsure whether it's worth applying and potentially 'blackmarking' myself for the TC cycle in the summer.

Considering that I've already done two schemes, I'm considering focusing on my final year in an attempt to boost it to at a least a mid 2.1, before just applying for straight TCs. What do people think? I will be focusing on firms with a large intake.

PS: Word of warning guys, do not get complacent after getting a few vacation schemes!

I doubt it's your grades that were the cause of you not getting offered a TC, otherwise they wouldn't have bothered taking you on the vac scheme.

As you've now got commercial legal work exp I would suggest applying for TCs directly. Having said that, if you're unsure of the culture of your chosen firms then applying for a vac scheme would be better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 185
Original post by pp93
I doubt it's your grades that were the cause of you not getting offered a TC, otherwise they wouldn't have bothered taking you on the vac scheme.

As you've now got commercial legal work exp I would suggest applying for TCs directly. Having said that, if you're unsure of the culture of your chosen firms then applying for a vac scheme would be better.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't say my grades stopped me getting the TC..

I was referring to the fact that if I had a solid 2.1 or first for second year, I would be in a far stronger position when it comes down to applying for winter/summer vacation schemes again, or I could apply for TCs before the summer window.

As things stand, my low 2.1 in second year won't make me as competitive as I'd like for the sort of firms that I'm interested in. That's why I'm unsure if I'm best of focusing on finals, and applying straight for TCs, as you mentioned.
Reply 186
Original post by Tchelp

I was referring to the fact that if I had a solid 2.1 or first for second year, I would be in a far stronger position when it comes down to applying for winter/summer vacation schemes again, or I could apply for TCs before the summer window.

As things stand, my low 2.1 in second year won't make me as competitive as I'd like for the sort of firms that I'm interested in. That's why I'm unsure if I'm best of focusing on finals, and applying straight for TCs, as you mentioned.

Ah okay, apologies for misunderstanding you. I had a 63 average going into final year and I still managed to get VS interviews at SC and international city firms and subsequently got my TC.

So as long as the rest of your form is good I think you'll be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tchelp

Admittedly it will vary from firm to firm, but my hunch is that your mark probably won't be as important as you perhaps think it is right now. As long as you do end up with a decent 2:1, the rest of the application/experience will be far more important.
Original post by Tchelp

I think you;d be best of focusing on your final year exams and then re-applying for TCs in the summer. Boost your mark to a solid 2.1 (65%+)and work on the areas where you think hindered you on the vacation schemes. People get TCs with no vacation schemes, so having done two, I wouldn't bother with anymore except at maybe firms with small intakes.

It's not that uncommon to do a couple of VS' and not get a TC, however if you do a couple more and don't have much joy, it'll be harder to go down the straight TC route.

People might not agree, but I'd argue that at some firms, applying straight for the TC can be an easier route to getting the TC, than undertaking a 2/3/4 week scheme.
Hello everyone!

Average of 64.95 % in my first year of law with all modules above 60% at Queen Mary, UOL (RG if unknown). A-Levels are A*A*a and average GCSE's.

Highlights of my experience include 3 months volunteering at a charity as a sales assistant and presently have been working so far for 4 months with the witness service at my local Magistrates' and Family court which heavily involves liaising with court personal and the Crown Prosecution. I have attended a legal workshop with white and case as well as shadowed a DLA Piper tax solicitor for a day. Also participated at a writing clinic at Reed Smith which involved drafting a letter of advice to a client with a trainee.

Extra curricular are fairly thin, but include the obvious mooting, contributing to a student journal as well as being a former FA coach. I may be missing out some information, but do the odds of a VS atleast at a SC firm stand?

I will be very grateful of any feedback as usual, thanks!
Original post by zammy92
Hello everyone!

Average of 64.95 % in my first year of law with all modules above 60% at Queen Mary, UOL (RG if unknown). A-Levels are A*A*a and average GCSE's.

Highlights of my experience include 3 months volunteering at a charity as a sales assistant and presently have been working so far for 4 months with the witness service at my local Magistrates' and Family court which heavily involves liaising with court personal and the Crown Prosecution. I have attended a legal workshop with white and case as well as shadowed a DLA Piper tax solicitor for a day. Also participated at a writing clinic at Reed Smith which involved drafting a letter of advice to a client with a trainee.

Extra curricular are fairly thin, but include the obvious mooting, contributing to a student journal as well as being a former FA coach. I may be missing out some information, but do the odds of a VS atleast at a SC firm stand?

If that's not good enough (assuming good forms), the rest of us are ****ed.
Original post by zammy92
Hello everyone!

Academics are fine. Your work experience is good, but slightly one-dimensional. Have you had a paid job?. The work experience at the local magistrates imay prompt questioning about why commerical law. The events at White & Case and Reed Smith are more for your benefit, so I wouldn't dedicate too many words to them on the application.

I think you need place a little more emphasis on the non-related stuff, so your extra curriculars. That forms a big part of whether you get invited to interviews/get a place on vacation schemes, and so on.
Original post by zammy92
Hello everyone!

Are those two A2s and one AS or did you forget to capitalise the "a"? If it's not three A-Levels you may have a problem with firms requiring AAA/AAB/ABB... (J-SP please confirm :biggrin:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by J-SP
If you can write a good application (and demonstrate your motivation) and look to take on responsibility in your extra curriculars in your second year, I can't see why you wouldn't have a good chance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers for the advice, I'll aim to obtain a few solid extra-curriculars.

Original post by MillieXYZ
Academics are fine. Your work experience is good, but slightly one-dimensional. Have you had a paid job?. The work experience at the local magistrates imay prompt questioning about why commerical law. The events at White & Case and Reed Smith are more for your benefit, so I wouldn't dedicate too many words to them on the application.

I think you need place a little more emphasis on the non-related stuff, so your extra curriculars. That forms a big part of whether you get invited to interviews/get a place on vacation schemes, and so on.

Unfortunately I have not obtained a paid job due to my current commitments, I know if I do it will heavily benefit me. Would bar/restaurant work be a good way to start? Also, in relation to the Magistrates' work, would it be helpful to point out that such experience highlighted my distaste of pursuing a career in the Bar which subsequently helped fuel my desire to instead work in commercial law?

Original post by *Stefan*
Are those two A2s and one AS or did you forget to capitalise the "a"? If it's not three A-Levels you may have a problem with firms requiring AAA/AAB/ABB... (J-SP please confirm :biggrin:)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I forgot to capitalise the a, so it is indeed an A at A2.
Does anyone know of a website/resource which lists which firms recruit on a rolling basis for their vacation schemes? Just trying to sort out some form of timetable at the minute...
Original post by Conzy210
Does anyone know of a website/resource which lists which firms recruit on a rolling basis for their vacation schemes? Just trying to sort out some form of timetable at the minute...

Basically most operate some form of rolling. Notable ones that don't that I know of are Davis Polk and CC.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by J-SP
There isn't one as far as I am aware. You will have to make the list from your own research.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Presumed as much, but was hoping someone had done the work for me.

Original post by iano101
Basically most operate some form of rolling. Notable ones that don't that I know of are Davis Polk and CC.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Brilliant, thank you.
Reply 197
Original post by zammy92
Cheers for the advice, I'll aim to obtain a few solid extra-curriculars.

Unfortunately I have not obtained a paid job due to my current commitments, I know if I do it will heavily benefit me. Would bar/restaurant work be a good way to start? Also, in relation to the Magistrates' work, would it be helpful to point out that such experience highlighted my distaste of pursuing a career in the Bar which subsequently helped fuel my desire to instead work in commercial law?

I forgot to capitalise the a, so it is indeed an A at A2.

I haven't had a paid job other than summer jobs doing admin so don't think it's the be all and end all! Although you are correct in saying that having one will give you a lot of skills.

Also I would disagree that days at court are not a good thing. It's just how you frame them - you learnt how legal principles are applied in practice (hopefully). Not everyone is fortunate enough to have experience in commercial law.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are any graduates applying for winter vacation schemes? What are you doing in the meantime?
One thing that consistently surprises me, especially in this day and age, is the lack of entrepreneurial spirit in TC/VS applicants. In my opinion, this shows a real active interest in the world of business and that you can understand the firm's clients. For me, it was always a talking point at interviews, they were always very interested in it.

Remember to send us your application at www.tcsmashers.com for free, tailored advice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending