The Student Room Group

The Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Any help with answering the question: "How does (insert law firm) remain competitive in the legal industry?" - basically a question centred around commercial awareness and whether or not you understand that, after all, law is a business and has to operate on a commercial basis in order to garner a big profit etc.

I am a 2nd year law student at Bristol, soon to be applying for vac schemes and know that this will be on a lot of applications and also the type of thing to be asked at interview, however, at the moment I don't feel as if I have enough business knowledge/feel comfortable talking about this topic
i.e.
- What do law firms ultimately aim for? profit?
- I feel like i don't really know but should know, ultimately, how does a businesses operate? what does it need to be successful?
- How does this relate to the law/practice of law?
- Which kind of things in the News/other sectors are relevant to the law firm and in how much detail are you expected to know these?

Any pointers or advice as to how I might answer/go about answering these questions would be greatly appreciated !!

Cheers
Reply 381
Original post by abdulmilad
Well could you help me?

If you're really keen, look at different firm profiles on targetjobs. Most firms have application questions and the interview process on it. There's also chambers and lawyer2b for your research.

Honestly though, there's a long time for any of this research to be relevant to you. Even if you start sometime during your first year, you'll be ahead of 85% of your course-mates.
I'm so stuck on a 'why do you want to be a lawyer?' question... I know it sounds simple, but I don't understand how i'm going to stand out from everyone else.

Any tips?
Reply 383
Original post by jgrimes
Any help with answering the question: "How does (insert law firm) remain competitive in the legal industry?" - basically a question centred around commercial awareness and whether or not you understand that, after all, law is a business and has to operate on a commercial basis in order to garner a big profit etc.

I am a 2nd year law student at Bristol, soon to be applying for vac schemes and know that this will be on a lot of applications and also the type of thing to be asked at interview, however, at the moment I don't feel as if I have enough business knowledge/feel comfortable talking about this topic
i.e.
- What do law firms ultimately aim for? profit?
- I feel like i don't really know but should know, ultimately, how does a businesses operate? what does it need to be successful?
- How does this relate to the law/practice of law?
- Which kind of things in the News/other sectors are relevant to the law firm and in how much detail are you expected to know these?

Any pointers or advice as to how I might answer/go about answering these questions would be greatly appreciated !!

Cheers

I suggest you read Know Commercial Awareness by Chris Stoakes. That will give you all the know how of how a business operates which you can then apply to a law firm.

Relevant stuff in the news: look at the industry sectors the firm works in, e.g. banking and look at what's been happening in that may affect the firm's clients and how in turn that might affect the firm. For example, increased regulation means that companies struggle with compliance which means more legal work for the firm (woohoo!).

Also with business stories try and see what legal issues might arise. It helps to think how each of the firm's departments may be involved.

I don't think you need to know absolutely everything and in technical detail but being able to talk at length and have an opinion about the main business stories will look very impressive as many people struggle with that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi all, do you think it is a bit late to apply for some of the winter schemes seeing as most people seem to have applied in early October?

I'm a graduate and currently working as a paralegal so in terms of being able to do my apps, I have the time. The trouble is just trying to find the motivation after work! Not sure if I should just do the spring and summer scheme apps instead given that I may find it hard to take the time off in December anyways. Thoughts?

Do S&M recruit for Easter/Summer VS on rolling basis?

Asked that at a recent event but the person I asked didn't seem to know the answer...
I went to a law fair and got a trainees card today. Is it worth sending a follow up email just to say thank you a helpful conversation or is will it not be viewed very well if i'm not actually asking a question? :smile:
Potentially a bit of a silly question:

If I'm asked about extra-curricular activities, do they have to be as part of a team, or within some formal structure? Or does that open the way for me to talk about things that are more like personal hobbies?
Original post by wanttobelawyer
I went to a law fair and got a trainees card today. Is it worth sending a follow up email just to say thank you a helpful conversation or is will it not be viewed very well if i'm not actually asking a question? :smile:

Following up is always recommended.

Posted from TSR Mobile
to my surprised I've advanced to an assessment day

there's an interview and case study awaiting me. this will be my first crack at both, can anyone with experience inform me about what to expect, please? more so in regards to the case study? would be much appreciated
Reply 390
Original post by Applicant2015
to my surprised I've advanced to an assessment day

there's an interview and case study awaiting me. this will be my first crack at both, can anyone with experience inform me about what to expect, please? more so in regards to the case study? would be much appreciated

What firm? And how soon after test/video interview
Thank you for that JSP, very useful info!

Omotee - it was for Mishcon's. Did the video interview Friday I think, heard back yesterday. Did you apply there?
Starting my first app this weekend *nervous gulp*:s-smilie: - just looking to clarify if there's nothing specifically stated on a firms website about it, can you apply for a vac scheme and TC in the same year even if you're unsuccessful for the former? This firm is one of my top picks for a TC but I'd rather apply for an open day and vac scheme first and apply for the TC later in the year? But its the same form for all three so I can't tell if you'd be restricted to just submitting it once- can someone with a bit more experience help me out? :redface:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 393
Original post by Applicant2015
Thank you for that JSP, very useful info!

Omotee - it was for Mishcon's. Did the video interview Friday I think, heard back yesterday. Did you apply there?

Fantastic! Yes this is my second attempt. Last time I got a PFO after AC. I was invited to vid interview on Tuesday, I plan to do it over the weekend.

PM for advice on what I experienced last year
Original post by J-SP
Call/email the firm and ask if it is not clear - no one on here will be able to give you a definitive answer, only the firm in question.

Will do, thanks JSP! :smile:
God I dislike video interviews. Not as bad as that awful Simmons logical reasoning test but I feel it's really tough to come up with precisely 1-3 minutes of content for an answer within a short space of time without either being cut short and missing key points, or blathering for a good space of it to avoid an awkward silence at the end.

Edit: Also, got a PFO from Jones Day after being sent the 'contacting references' email - can I infer from that that my references were unsatisfactory? I've had the same two referees on every application for 2017 TCs and 2016 VSs.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle
God I dislike video interviews. Not as bad as that awful Simmons logical reasoning test but I feel it's really tough to come up with precisely 1-3 minutes of content for an answer within a short space of time without either being cut short and missing key points, or blathering for a good space of it to avoid an awkward silence at the end.

Edit: Also, got a PFO from Jones Day after being sent the 'contacting references' email - can I infer from that that my references were unsatisfactory? I've had the same two referees on every application for 2017 TCs and 2016 VSs.

When did you apply and when did you get the contacting references email?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle

Yes, the reference may have just indicated that you were not right for their system.
I feel like its taking ages to hear back from a lot - are other people experiencing this and do we think its a good/bad sign...
How long has it taken Clifford Chance to respond after taking the online test? I took mine over a week ago and they still haven't responded...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending