The Student Room Group

The Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Also nothing from DWF post video interview for Manchester. Must be a PFO :frown: Didn't think it was that bad either!
me too

Original post by LawStudent57
Just received the same email. Definitely not good for the heart rate emails such as that!
Original post by dinolove
I have an AC with Mayer Brown tomorrow and will pm you about the AG interview 😊

Thank you!
DWF ac offer :smile:
Still nothing from KWM or CMS! Anybody heard?
any hints on how to prep for a (CMS) comp int? my first one... :afraid:
I had a question about submitting a cover letter through the apply4law application system. Does anyone know if I'm still meant to set it out like a cover letter with address at the top and date (because this takes up valuable word count!) or should I just start with Dear (name)?
Original post by vwalters94
I've always got about 65-70% on my practise tests and I've not failed a real one yet. Not sure if that's any help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks for answering, thats quite reassuring! hopefully they should expect less of a first year student too.
Original post by ULawAJ
My Pinsent Masons AC is for London

Ah congrats. For me...another one bites the dust
Original post by SirAlexFerguson
Screw this vac scheme stuff, I give up! These law firms want some superman candidates which I don't think I can ever be... I've got 500+UCAS points and solid grades from a great Uni and nobody gives me a chance :frown: Im gonna focus on the big 4 and banking because at least they give me a chance rather than writing me off. It has come to the point where it starts effecting my self worth... :frown:

#rant over

Hey,

Don't think like that ... I have 300 UCAS points and have had my fair share of knock backs! Keep trying and I am sure you'll get there in the end xxx
Rejected from fieldfisher after passing both tests gutted to say the least I spent days on the application spoke to Grad team and at one their events ive good results and 2 years mix of legal experience awards degree and masters all rounder. But clearly not super human enough😭
Original post by AnnaMay14
I had a question about submitting a cover letter through the apply4law application system. Does anyone know if I'm still meant to set it out like a cover letter with address at the top and date (because this takes up valuable word count!) or should I just start with Dear (name)?

I always just start Dear [name] and have had plenty of interviews off the back of them.
Original post by nonlawgrad
Were any of the Pinsent Masons ACs given out for London - think it's time I give up hope!

Also any news from Bristows after video interview?

No news post Bristows video-interview for me yet. They did say on or by Monday the 15th.
Anyone recently heard from Jones Day, I had a few problems with my reference but this wait is killing meeee D:
Original post by StudentLawyer
Two people on my course already have Holman Fenwick Willan VS offers! :K:

omg I really need to get my app done then. What uni /course are you on?
Original post by geesebewithyou
omg I really need to get my app done then. What uni /course are you on?

Bristol Law.

Nobody had posted anything on here so just assumed that they were still waiting before sending out AC invites. I sent my application in at the beginning of December and have heard nothing.
Original post by AnnaMay14

According to Target Jobs you should look up the name of the head of recruitment and adress it to them with Dear X X, but they'll understand if you dont have the word count left to sign it off with a 'yours sincerely + your name'. At the end of the day they do have your name at the top of the application form.

I don't actually know if this is solid advice or not but that's what I've been doing.
Bristol Law.

Nobody had posted anything on here so just assumed that they were still waiting before sending out AC invites. I sent my application in at the beginning of December and have heard nothing.

I'm still sitting on the app form which I started in December, and today they sent me an email reminding me to get it done and sent in. That might mean nothing or it might mean they aren't done giving out AC and VS offers yet - if you haven't been PFOed I think there's still hope for you!
Original post by cmpl
Does anyone who applied to 2Birds before know how long it takes them to get back to you post-WG test deadline?

They told me i had passed the test within 24 hours of the test deadline... but said they are reviewing apps now and will let me know about the video interview
Two people on my course already have Holman Fenwick Willan VS offers! :K:

Wow! :redface: I haven't even submitted my app yet, eek!
Reply 3999
Original post by SirAlexFerguson
Screw this vac scheme stuff, I give up! These law firms want some superman candidates which I don't think I can ever be... I've got 500+UCAS points and solid grades from a great Uni and nobody gives me a chance :frown: Im gonna focus on the big 4 and banking because at least they give me a chance rather than writing me off. It has come to the point where it starts effecting my self worth... :frown:

#rant over

Chill, there is a lot more to this than simply A level and University grades. Work experience, interests, extra curricular activities, your motivation, etc are all just as important.

Don't let it get to you like this though. You're going to face many set backs both professionally and in life generally you just simply have to pick yourself up and get on with it. Being able to deal with rejection is an incredibly important thing and you will need to get used to taking set backs like these if you are going to do well in any demanding career choice.

Don't assume that sending apps to a range of different industries will necessarily be the answer either, I know that the process at the investment banks is often far more gruelling and more competitive than at the top law firms. Have a think carefully over what you definitely want.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending