The Student Room Group

The Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dlaiden
PFO from Freshfields :frown: Quite gutted not to have made it to interview; I think it was the verbal reasoning test which let me down. I'm still very keen on the firm though so I'll practice more and have a go at a TC next year

What did you apply for/what year are you in at uni ? Can you email them to find out if it was the test or other factors that let you down? Then you know what to improve 😃

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by annabalboa
During a Freshfields event we were told that they don't screen out candidates with the verbal reasoning test. A strong application form is very important to them and if you're able to convince them on the application form and have a lower test score you'll still be able to get through to the next round.

Good luck next time though!

Ah is that right? Well my app form must have been weaker than I thought then, which is a shame as I thought my grades + personal statement were the strongest parts of my app. Thanks though!

Original post by ew296
What did you apply for/what year are you in at uni ? Can you email them to find out if it was the test or other factors that let you down? Then you know what to improve 😃

Posted from TSR Mobile

Applied for a vac scheme, and I'm in my second year (non-law). I can't do that no, as they only give feedback if you've reached at least the interview stage. I'll just knuckle down and focus on my other apps atm; still waiting to hear from Slaughters, and I need to send off apps for NRF, BLP and CC still. I'll apply for the Freshfields workshop and TC next year I think, after I've had more practice at apps. Thanks though!
Original post by dlaiden
Ah is that right? Well my app form must have been weaker than I thought then, which is a shame as I thought my grades + personal statement were the strongest parts of my app. Thanks though!

Applied for a vac scheme, and I'm in my second year (non-law). I can't do that no, as they only give feedback if you've reached at least the interview stage. I'll just knuckle down and focus on my other apps atm; still waiting to hear from Slaughters, and I need to send off apps for NRF, BLP and CC still. I'll apply for the Freshfields workshop and TC next year I think, after I've had more practice at apps. Thanks though!

Bear in mind that you probably didn't get anywhere because you're second year non-law student. Usually non-law students are only allowed to apply for vac schemes and TCs in their final year!
Original post by dlaiden

Send me your personal statement if you like and I will have a look at it and if I can offer you any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by annabalboa
Bear in mind that you probably didn't get anywhere because you're second year non-law student. Usually non-law students are only allowed to apply for vac schemes and TCs in their final year!

Freshfields' vacation schemes are definitely open to all penultimate year students regardless of academic background, so I'm sure it's not that.

Original post by ew296
Send me your personal statement if you like and I will have a look at it and if I can offer you any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh thanks, I'll PM you now. :smile:
Has anyone heard back from Shearman & Sterling regarding their Winter Vacation Scheme application? Rejection or interview offer...?
Original post by Shruti2
No clue! I applied in early November. I guess we'll start hearing a couple of weeks after the deadline.

I just heard today so hopefully you should soon also. Good luck!
Original post by george.rowe
Has anyone heard back from Shearman & Sterling regarding their Winter Vacation Scheme application? Rejection or interview offer...?

I haven't heard anything yet but upthread there are at least 2 people who have interviews

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone heard back from Simmons & Simmons winter vac post video interview?
Or anyone heard anything from them in the last week?
I had to redo part of mine after an internet issue and since then all I've had from them is an apology saying that they may not be able to review the video interview before they fill the places....
I've since emailed asking for my application to be processed for the summer scheme but heard nothing yet. Very frustrating
Original post by BlueDuck
I just heard today so hopefully you should soon also. Good luck!

I heard today as well! Did you get an interview? I got a PFO.
Just finished a Jones Day Spring Scheme Interview. Got an interview with BLP for a Spring/Summer Scheme (places on Winter are full) and a PFO from Bristows.
Original post by Shruti2
Just finished a Jones Day Spring Scheme Interview. Got an interview with BLP for a Spring/Summer Scheme (places on Winter are full) and a PFO from Bristows.

How did you manage to get through the app form for BLP? It was so difficult.
Reply 792
interview from bristows!
Original post by Vinny Gambini
How did you manage to get through the app form for BLP? It was so difficult.

A friend of mine got through the app stage last year, so I asked her for her opinion on my answers. If you need any help with your apps, I'd be happy to read through them for you :smile:
Original post by sk88
interview from bristows!

Congratulations and good luck! :smile:

I have an interview this Thursday! I think they're doing it in batches, so hopefully you should hear soon! Good luck :smile:
Reply 796
Original post by Shruti2
Congratulations and good luck! :smile:

im very new to this thread, can ypu please explain what PFO means?
thank u!!
Original post by sk88
im very new to this thread, can ypu please explain what PFO means?
thank u!!

"please f*** off" - it's just a way of saying you've been rejected

Just got my rejection!
Reply 799
Original post by dlaiden
"please f*** off" - it's just a way of saying you've been rejected

:colondollar::colondollar: haha oh dear, im sorry i asked.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending