The Student Room Group

The Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ew296
Just out of interest, do S&M instantly reject people who don't do the short cover letter style? I haven't personally applied there yet but wondered if they do that.

I actually have no idea, I doubt they'll reject for it, providing the letter is well written (obviously if it was waffly they can reject for that), and I bet loads of great candidates do write a cover letter not realising that they prefer it almost as a formality... anyone who knows it only needs to be brief may as well stick with that though :smile:
Reply 981
Original post by ew296
Just out of interest, do S&M instantly reject people who don't do the short cover letter style? I haven't personally applied there yet but wondered if they do that.

Original post by TykeDragon
I actually have no idea, I doubt they'll reject for it, providing the letter is well written (obviously if it was waffly they can reject for that), and I bet loads of great candidates do write a cover letter not realising that they prefer it almost as a formality... anyone who knows it only needs to be brief may as well stick with that though :smile:

Slaughter's doesn't automatically reject you if you do a whole page cover letter. I should know, did one saying why law, why them and why me and still got a direct TC interview. I also got a 2:2 in my first year at law and a mid 2:1 in my second year, so grades are important and the firm is academic but its not the be-all-and-end-all, from what my experience tells me anyway (I ended up graduating with a strong First so that might be the reason why I got through though...)

Hope that helps and good luck :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by cmpl
Hey, when did you hear back from BLP?

Hey, I had applied for their winter scheme but places were full so they offered me an interview for their spring/summer scheme. I received the invite a few weeks after I applied for the winter scheme.
Original post by natbee77
I am sorry to hear that ( my heart is now racing) and I hope you have an amazing time at links. All the best for the future

Have you heard from Shearman?
Anyone heard from Linklaters for the summer scheme recently? I sent my application on the 26th October, and have yet to hear anything.
Reply 985
Original post by iano101
Anyone heard from Linklaters for the summer scheme recently? I sent my application on the 26th October, and have yet to hear anything.

I applied in mid Nov, did the test a week after, and got the AC invitation last week
The people who applied to Wragges were you able to choose between spring or summer? I've sent mine but it just says vacation scheme. I can only do the spring one as I still have exams during the summer one and I'm worried the spring places might already be gone.

Also has anyone heard from:
CMS - summer
Shearman & Sterling - summer
Hogan Lovells TC
Norton Rose Fulbright TC ???
Original post by MillieXYZ
If this is for Jones Day, friends felt that you're advised to work for as many people as possible, and partners in particular. Go to all the events and mingle with the lawyers. If they don't have work at that moment, they'll bear you in mind. Don't take on more than you can handle, some people end up with too much work and some with too little. I have heard that the scheme has a 'competitive' vibe to it, due to its non-rotational nature, which probably makes some students more perceptive about what others are doing.

The people that I know who did the scheme felt that there was a fair amount of emphasis on your ability to build relationships during your two week scheme. A big part of deciding if you got a TC boiled down to whether there was a partner willing to put their neck on the line for you.

If you use the search function, J-SP has made some very good posts in the past with regards to general advice for vacation schemes.

Thanks a lot! Very useful. I'll be keeping that in mind.
Guys just wondering - What is defined as a low 2:1, a middle 2:1 and a high 2:1?

Low 2:1 - 60 - 63
Middle 2:1 64 - 66
High 2:1 - 67-69

Or,

Low 2:1 - 60 - 64
Middle 2:1 - 65
High 2:1 - 66 - 69
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Senecaa
Guys just wondering - What is defined as a low 2:1, and middle 2:1 and a high 2:1?

Low 2:1 - 60 - 63
Middle 2:1 64 - 66
High 2:1 - 67-69

Or,

Low 2:1 - 60 - 64
Middle 2:1 - 65
High 2:1 - 66 - 69

I'd say the first one

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd say the first one too but I wouldn't be put off applying to firms who look for 'high 2.1's with a 66 either.
Original post by M.E
Slaughter's doesn't automatically reject you if you do a whole page cover letter. I should know, did one saying why law, why them and why me and still got a direct TC interview. I also got a 2:2 in my first year at law and a mid 2:1 in my second year, so grades are important and the firm is academic but its not the be-all-and-end-all, from what my experience tells me anyway (I ended up graduating with a strong First so that might be the reason why I got through though...)

Hope that helps and good luck :smile:

Cheers for sharing your experiences!! Were you successful at interview?
Hello, please help! So far I've had pretty poor grades at uni (didn't realise how much the non-honours years mattered): first year: 2:2, second year: 2:1, third year: 2:2, fourth year: in progress. I am on track to receive at least an overall 2:1 because I have Bs in the grades that count towards my final classification and will obviously try much harder. I am from a Russell Group uni in Scotland, I have done almost 10 months in total of relevant work experience during holidays, I volunteer and I'm involved in sports teams/in law society committee/play music and in a choir etc.Is there no hope for me because of my poor grades? I feel like I'm wasting my time by applying with this kind of academic record and I should maybe try a different career path. :frown:
Has anyone heard back from Slaughter and May for the summer vacation scheme?
I got the Clifford Chance non-law insight scheme! So progress is being made. Now come the applications for Spring and Summer.

Berwin Leighton Paisner is the only firm I'm applying for in Spring

But for Summer I'll apply to:
- Simmons
- Travers
- Macfarlanes
- Ashurst
- Allen and Overy
- Jones Day
- Gibson Dunn

Then again, I might get a TC off the back of the CC scheme so... fingers crossed!
Reply 995
Original post by iano101
The wait post-interview is so stressful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you heard from Freshfields yet after your Thursday interview? Good luck!
Original post by threebackedbeast
I got the Clifford Chance non-law insight scheme! So progress is being made. Now come the applications for Spring and Summer.

Berwin Leighton Paisner is the only firm I'm applying for in Spring

But for Summer I'll apply to:
- Simmons
- Travers
- Macfarlanes
- Ashurst
- Allen and Overy
- Jones Day
- Gibson Dunn

Then again, I might get a TC off the back of the CC scheme so... fingers crossed!

Congratulations & best of luck
Original post by Beanzie
Have you heard from Freshfields yet after your Thursday interview? Good luck!

Na not yet - I've heard one of the people in my group of 4 was given an offer next day so slightly worried that it's going to be a rejection..
Is anyone available to read through an application form for me? Not sure if I'm on the right track
Reply 999
Original post by iano101
Na not yet - I've heard one of the people in my group of 4 was given an offer next day so slightly worried that it's going to be a rejection..

No one from my group and others I know who interviewed have heard back yet so don't worry - I think those who receive offers really soon after must have impressed a lot and the rest of us are maybe's

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending