The Student Room Group

The Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Wondering if anyone can help me out, I am looking for firms to apply for who don't ask for GCSE grades so if you applied to any firms which don't ask for GCSE's let me know.

So far I only have Eversheds, surely they can't be the only sane firm who don't ask for exam results you did when you were 15/16 :tongue:
Original post by SirAlexFerguson
Wondering if anyone can help me out, I am looking for firms to apply for who don't ask for GCSE grades so if you applied to any firms which don't ask for GCSE's let me know.

So far I only have Eversheds, surely they can't be the only sane firm who don't ask for exam results you did when you were 15/16 :tongue:

I think Addelshaw Goddards only ask for your English and Maths grades if that helps?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aspiringlawyer20
I think Addelshaw Goddards only ask for your English and Maths grades if that helps?

Posted from TSR Mobile

All help is appreciated :h:
Reply 1183
I'm trying to decide whether to apply directly for training contracts or apply for vacation schemes first. I finished the GDL this summer and did one vacation scheme. I have some other legal experience. I have a job lined up in January but it's on contract so I won't get paid for any holidays I take so it'll cost me quite a lot of money to do the vacation schemes as I'll be using my holiday days. Any advice?
Reply 1184
Original post by Icarus.
Thank you! Would it be all right if I PMed you?

Sure.

Original post by kusb
Is anyone else confused about how to structure their Freshfields answer? or is it pretty straightforward and I'm just overthinking it? :tongue:

Why commercial law

Why Freshfields

Why you

Simples.
Original post by Disputes
Anyone have any experience with an Ashurst interview particularly the written exercise?

For obvious reasons, I cannot go into too much detail. However, I will say the following:

- Concise report in simple English (try and avoid legal jargon and flowery commercial terms, also, use punchy short sentences.

- Do not dwell on certain pages, read fast! There is a lot to get through. I would also encourage you to bring with you a few different coloured highlighters. I basically highlighted in yellow all the pros of the acquisition for the acquirer and in pink all the cons of the acquisitions as a result, it made it easy for me to identify all of these issues when I was writing the report.

- Make sure you have a view from the get go; as in don’t sit on the fence and then at the end decide whether it’s a good acquisition or not. From the get go, express your opinion i.e. Within this report I will evaluate the reasons why it is a good idea for the ‘Acquirer’ to takeover the ‘target company’. That way the reader/marker will not be confused as to where you stand.

- Finally, make sure it is a balanced answer i.e. pros and cons. Be critical.

***My case study was actually quite interesting so don’t overthink it.
Original post by J-SP
Most employers will want someone who is open to pursuing opportunities rather than automatically discounting them. Showing a very narrow approach or attitude (e.g. "I don't want to do a secondment" or "I would only want to do a secondment in New York" ) is unlikely to be a good idea on an application form.
This makes a lot of sense, thankyou! The question specifically mentions overseas offices, I have an idea of the work done in several of them so I think going down the route of relating to practice areas of the office rather than location would be my best bet

Original post by xblack
I'm trying to decide whether to apply directly for training contracts or apply for vacation schemes first. I finished the GDL this summer and did one vacation scheme. I have some other legal experience. I have a job lined up in January but it's on contract so I won't get paid for any holidays I take so it'll cost me quite a lot of money to do the vacation schemes as I'll be using my holiday days. Any advice?

I'm in a similar position in that I'm working full time and wouldn't be getting paid for taking time for a vac scheme (also a very limited holiday allowance). Remember that vac schemes often pay, depending on which firm you're with and often give you a chance to interview for a TC at the end or skip a significant part of the application process so I'd say it's probably still worthwhile applying for them - more experience can't hurt :smile:
Original post by dinolove
Just about finished my Clyde and Co app but there's a question about secondment - would you be at a disadvantage for not wanting to do an overseas placement (not that i'm ruling it out, there's just not a particular office that I would like to go to which is what the question is asking), should I put my reasons for this on the form or just leave it blank?

Tbh, the way I see it is that if there is absolutely nowhere else you would want to go you may find them questioning your commitment to international commercial law. That doesn't mean they would ever FORCE you to go anywhere (let alone the office you choose to mention) should you eventually wind up with a TC there.

I remember when I was applying last year I also had no particular offices that I desperately wanted to go to, but obviously I was open to the idea, so I just put in a little research and discussed one particular office (I think it may have been Dubai).

I (genuinely, because I am curious about other cultures and intend to travel) wrote about how I would choose to go there because there's a lot of work available in X department there which I am interested in, that I felt that office would be ideal as it has lots of links/shares work with the nearby offices by virtue of its location, and finally just how I would be fascinated to experience the law there as well as the culture of a country totally different to what I am used to.

So as you can see, even if there are no offices you have a burning desire to visit, it's easy to talk about how you would like to go somewhere! I think it would be a good idea to show some interest in their international aspect :smile:
Original post by TykeDragon
Tbh, the way I see it is that if there is absolutely nowhere else you would want to go you may find them questioning your commitment to international commercial law. That doesn't mean they would ever FORCE you to go anywhere (let alone the office you choose to mention) should you eventually wind up with a TC there.

I remember when I was applying last year I also had no particular offices that I desperately wanted to go to, but obviously I was open to the idea, so I just put in a little research and discussed one particular office (I think it may have been Dubai).

I (genuinely, because I am curious about other cultures and intend to travel) wrote about how I would choose to go there because there's a lot of work available in X department there which I am interested in, that I felt that office would be ideal as it has lots of links/shares work with the nearby offices by virtue of its location, and finally just how I would be fascinated to experience the law there as well as the culture of a country totally different to what I am used to.

So as you can see, even if there are no offices you have a burning desire to visit, it's easy to talk about how you would like to go somewhere! I think it would be a good idea to show some interest in their international aspect :smile:

This is exactly how I feel: I'm not dead set on any particular office, but I'm definitely open to the idea. My concern was just being able to show interest for a very specific question without coming across as unmotivated (as it's not my primary motivation for choosing the firm) or poorly researched. I've spoken about international work in the cover letter briefly so I'll just expand upon that. Thanks for your advice, very helpful :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
If I get a training contract offer from a law firm that I quite like, should I take it?

I am not sure whether it is the right career for me.
Reply 1190
Hi guys, I'm wanting make vac scheme apps. Just really worried I've left it all too late? I know they say deadlines are mid-late Jan but I was wondering if they're almost full?

Any help would be great- thank you.
Reply 1191
Original post by Vinny Gambini
If I get a training contract offer from a law firm that I quite like, should I take it?

Well have you explored other career options? What is your situation?

My initial thought is yes you should, however it depends how interested you really are in pursuing a career in law.
Original post by bicks
Hi guys, I'm wanting make vac scheme apps. Just really worried I've left it all too late? I know they say deadlines are mid-late Jan but I was wondering if they're almost full?

Any help would be great- thank you.

There are several firms out there who are non-rolling, so worth checking their websites :smile: I haven't heard of any firms who's spring schemes are full yet so definitely worth applying still if you can do it over the next couple of week
Original post by Vinny Gambini

I'm guessing the WLG vac scheme went well? :smile:
I think quite a lot of people have doubts, but that's kind of what the TC is for.
Reply 1194
Original post by dinolove
There are several firms out there who are non-rolling, so worth checking their websites :smile: I haven't heard of any firms who's spring schemes are full yet so definitely worth applying still if you can do it over the next couple of week

Oh great! I'm hoping to make apps for summer vacation schemes- so I'm assuming there's still a chance with some firms!

May I ask whether you'll be making apps? And if so, what method you'll be using to choose which firms to apply to? I'm no longer at uni so it's quite difficult for me to make a decision other than by looking at the sort of work firms do.
Getting inordinately angry at myself for missing a call from a private number, though it's probably not a firm 😫
Reply 1196
Original post by marchmain
Getting inordinately angry at myself for missing a call from a private number, though it's probably not a firm 😫

Ah hang in there! Set up your voice mail if you haven't already. I'm sure if it was a law firm they'll try contacting you via email or calling you back!
Original post by SJU1
I've got friends who have been rejected from both. I know that Links have given out offers already.

Hmm, hopefully the offers Links have made were to people who applied extremely early. Spent a week there over the summer and I know an associate has sung my praises to grad recruitment so I'll be disappointed to at very least not make the interview stage.
Reply 1198
Original post by marchmain

Chill, even if it was they will call you another time..
Original post by Conzy210
Hmm, hopefully the offers Links have made were to people who applied extremely early. Spent a week there over the summer and I know an associate has sung my praises to grad recruitment so I'll be disappointed to at very least not make the interview stage.

Have you done the WG test yet?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending