The Student Room Group

S_Wang's Summer Bucket List

Greetings from the United States! :smile:

I hope that my post is not late, because in the U.S. it is 6:35 pm on Friday July 10th.

My list:

1. Have a fabulous photo shoot with friends (why not preserve our youth?)
2. Create a ROCKIN' music playlist
3. Take sunrise photos with my awesome Nikon DSLR camera
4. Do a 30 day Yoga challenge
5. Make Teddy bears and donate them to a hospital
6. Dance on the beach
7. Get my first tattoo
8. Finish 1000 piece puzzle
9. Sketch someone's portrait
10. Read all the Harry Potter books
11. After reading all HP books, re-watch all the movies and marathon it!!!! >:biggrin:
12. Plan my trip to Europe and semester abroad at Scotland
13. Lose my concert virginity to Sam Smith :wink:
14. Make adorable, yummy macaroons with friends
15. Achieve my Emergency Technician License (The person who saves people in the back of the ambulance)

I will and can do it! I'm so excited. Please accept my thread! Also, I hope everyone has an awesome summer kickin' their bucket list!

Thank you so much and please watch my journey this summer. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Number 7 completed! I had been thinking about getting a tattoo for a while, but had been hesitant. A lot of times in America, it is really frowned upon to get a tattoo if you are wanting to enter a professional industry or career. As of now, I am wanting to go into science, perhaps medical school to be a radiologist or fuse Biology and Business together somehow. With the science field notorious for being strict in rules and expectations, I definitely weighed the pros and cons for a while.

But I got it.

The meaning? I'm an American born Chinese and often struggled with an identity crisis growing up in the U.S, a country that is wonderfully comprised of a myriad of races and cultures. However, being an American doesn't really have a "set" look or culture really. At least, I don't think it should. All the immigrants and generations who have moved to the country learn to cohabit this nation, making the "true" identity of an American less defined and more ambiguous.

Growing up, I struggled with having Chinese parents who freshly immigrated from China, while I was immersed into the American world from birth. Because there still are people who believe an American should be a certain way, I often experienced discrimination and unsavory behaviors because I wasn't "American-enough" or the ideal American type. I suppose I still am not. But despite the friction between growing up with two cultures, I finally learned that I don't have to choose. I am culturally fluid, neither American nor Chinese. I am easily able to weave in and out through both cultures, with an affinity toward my American side. Fusing the two cultures results in creating an individual culture--a third culture. I consider myself a third culture kid.

Anyways.....my mom always calls me "little bird" in Chinese, meaning that she predicts that I will soar and fly away from home toward hope and success. Also, I used to take classical voice lesson for 6 years and that was very song bird-like within itself. But ultimately, I got the a sparrow on my left shoulder for myself, a clever spot if I say so myself. Able to be covered by formal shirts and dresses, unless there are spaghetti straps. Everyday that I change clothes or shower, it's a reminder to myself of who I want to make proud (mom, God, and myself) as well as the great hope that I aspire to have for my future.
Reply 2
Going to bed as for now...but stay tuned on my incredible Sam Smith story! Also, recently finished the third, fourth, and fifth Harry Potter movies over the weekend. Will have proof and pictures coming soon!

You know, even though I'm not sure anyone sees this, it's nice to do this for me you know. :smile:
I like your tattoo! It's so cute and also it's awesome that it has meaning behind it too :smile: good luck with the rest of your list!
Reply 4
Awww, thank you so much! I hope to do well by honoring the meaning of my tattoo.
Reply 5
The Louisville Forecastle Music Festival crosses off number 13--losing my "concert virginity" to Sam Smith. Actually, it crosses off that, being able to see my favorite artist in my youth, and nearly dying in an "almost tornado" storm.

But not to fret, I didn't die. :smile:

Louisville, Kentucky is only about 3 hours driving from where I live during the summer away from my U.S. home university. I actually found out about the concert by chance a few months ago. Walking into a "higher end" fast-food/ casual service called Moe's Southwest Grill, I was waiting to have a chat with the manager about snagging a summer job to help pay for my study abroad. It was only in the moments waiting that I even happened to glance at the poster advertisement when I saw it: SAM SMITH. My heart stopped for a bit, and the only thought I had was how much, when, and what do I need to do to get to him?

I found my logic and breath in the moment after that when the manager broke me out of my trance. In the deep pit of my stomach was fear, because I'd never gone to an ACTUAL famous artist's concert before, especially not one that I liked so much. But deep excitement and longing was there was well. I knew that if I didn't go at this time in my life, when would I ever have a chance to hear my favorite artist (on an international tour) so close to me again.

How did I get so blessed to be able to witness so many other local, alternative, rock bands in addition to Sam Smith? Even better, I got to go to my first big music festival with one of my best friends--she's the gorgeous redhead.

More detail about Sam and the tornado later. :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
Great blog post! Glad you had fun at Sam Smith's concert:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Back to wonderful, wonderful Sam Smith and the mighty near-tornado.

After Cage the Elephant's dramatic, energized performance was over, my friend and I scurried our way to weasel our way into the front. Sam's time slot was from 9:45-11:00 pm. We were already 20 feet in front of his stage at 9:00.

Dedication. Yes.

The waiting time was probably one of the longest periods I had ever waited for anything. I am not one to line up in front of stores hoping to get the earliest products or camp out in front of a concert or anything. So, this was excruciating. I don't think it really helped that it was a sticky, hot day with more body heat because of the mass of people also waiting. However, once he came on, it was magic.

As mysterious as a magician, he marvelously appeared--dashing smile and radiant face and all. Starting with "I Know I'm Not the Only One," he stunned the crowd into a frenzy, me included. :smile: It was the first large performance 3 months exactly after his throat surgery, such an honor! What I probably appreciated the most was his explanation of the purpose and inspiration for each song. The epitome of honest, raw artistry, he relayed the background story behind "I've Told You Now." The unrequited love, the drunk phone call, and the downward spiral created an intimate conversation between the audience and him. He was unafraid of showing us the vulnerability, the pain, the awful human-ness of it all, and the fact that the song was the only way that could fully capture what he felt at that time. The most intriguing, touching point: he performs the song because it is vital to him to remember that pain, because it, too, was life and humanity. Most people would rather forget the pain rather than identify it as an enhancement to the individual he or she is now.

So we go along with a couple more songs and dynamic performances, when my friend pokes my arm. I glance away to see her point at the sky. The sky had a likeness that paralleled the Kansas setting before the tornado in The Wizard of Oz. Gray, swirling dark matter pervaded the already darkened night sky, and as soon as I refocus my gaze toward Sam, he, his fabulous backup singers, and band have disappeared. Magic.

A screen instructing the thousands of festival goers to exit the festival and find safety dominates the stage.Mass hysteria breaks out, you can literally feel it in the air. If there ever were a zombie apocalypse, this would be what it would feel like. My bestie and I link arms and weave our way in and out of scrambling festival goers while trying to see through the grit in our eyes while being pummeled by high winds throwing debris into our eyes and face. I don't think I've ever run that fast in my life, not because I was scared. But because the winds were so strong that they pushed against our hamstrings and forced us to run with high kicks! But the whole time, my best friend and I were laughing in nervous, hilarious disbelief at the thought of the severe weather.

Don't worry, I made it. We stayed the night at her cousin's beautiful house, laughed about the hilarious incident, and now live to tell the story.

P.S. Oh, and Sam's Instagram picture alludes to the storm in Louisville. Taken by storm, haha, nice one. :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
4. 30 day yoga challenge

Everyday I should actually post this. I feel I am pretty flexible, but I want to preserve it and incorporate into my daily routine. Flexibility not only through physical exervise and stretching, but also in how I handle life situations. As my mom says, "If there is a rock in your way, do not force your way against it. It only makes it harder to overcome it, and you might shatter. But if you are like water, you can easily flow over, around, or under the rock." Yoga is awesome, because it culminates emotional, physical, and spiritual aspects. Although I am not Hindu, I can still relate to many ideologies of the yoga practice, because it promotes positivity, relaxing, and connecting back to your true self.

And yes, that is my dog after his surgery. He likes to photobomb my pictures, hehe.
Reply 9
Day 2 of my yoga challenge!

Boy is it tough to do yoga when my dog gets playful. He is a 7 year old white husky mix. Stretching feels great after a long day of work!
Original post by S_Wang
Greetings from the United States! :smile:

I hope that my post is not late, because in the U.S. it is 6:35 pm on Friday July 10th.

My list:

Well, beauty can be eternal. :wink:

4. Do a 30 day Yoga challenge
6. Dance on the beach
7. Get my first tattoo
8. Finish 1000 piece puzzle
10. Read all the Harry Potter books
11. After reading all HP books, re-watch all the movies and marathon it!!!! >:biggrin:

Nice and ambitious!

Though that will probably take a while... I feel for you.

13. Lose my concert virginity to Sam Smith :wink:

Not that I know who Sam Smith is (I don't know many things), but I thought it said something else (for a moment)!
(Not that it would be wrong, just surprising to put it on a bucket list.)

15. Achieve my Emergency Technician License (The person who saves people in the back of the ambulance)

Nice! Go for it! (I had a lack for an apt description, like I feel like I want to say more, but I know not what.) I recently gained the habit of writing like "I know not what" so pardon the weirdness of my sentences.

I will and can do it! I'm so excited. Please accept my thread! Also, I hope everyone has an awesome summer kickin' their bucket list!

Kicking their bucket list! :eek::eek:

Only joking!

Thank you so much and please watch my journey this summer. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
10750351_10205293071979582_8024848191234240673_o(1).jpgFor a visual update on what I have accomplished on my original list:
4. Do a 30 day Yoga challenge* (in progress)
6. Dance on the beach
7. Get my first tattoo
8. Finish 1000 piece puzzle*(in progress)
10. Read all the Harry Potter books*(in progress)
11. After reading all HP books, re-watch all the movies and marathon it!!!! > *(in progress)
13. Lose my concert virginity to Sam Smith
15. Achieve my Emergency Technician License (The person who saves people in the back of the ambulance)*in progress

Number one crossed off!
So today was fantastic! It just feels good to be confident in yourself, glam up your best features and broadcast it on social media with your good friends. Again, Kristen(the beautiful redhead) and I are best friends, and we are very similar in our interests which include beauty, health, music, and Asian culture admiration. In high school, she and I started a Korean cultural club that celebrated the dances of Korean pop music...and no, not just "Oppa Gangnam Style." :P And from then, we've always had a steady indulgence in the Korean culture, whether it be food, music, or fashion. So our photoshoot with our friends was pretty inspired by korean culture and pop music. The guy in the red and black outfit ROCKED it! We were prepping for a fall season (you gotta to be ahead of the game for the fashion season, even though it's burning hot outside! But we were thankful for her fully air-conditioned home.
Reply 12
I guess this one also kind of connects to number 14, making macaroons. I have the pictures for that completion, but I made cookies with another friend who was leaving to go back to university soon. My friend Byjan and I made jelly/ jam filled butter cookie sandwiches! They took 3-4 hours! Only because we had to let the dough chill in the refrigerator and we had never used this recipe before. We were so excited to have finally made cookies, talk, and gossip before she left to go back. She has definitely been an interesting friend, because she and I were parallel on an intellectual level and connect with each other culturally. I am an American Chinese and she is Kurdish. She always feeds me so well!

In addition, I was able to watch Harry Potter Order of the Phoenix and the Death Hallow Part One and Part Two. So 3 more movies of the HP series down (in addition to the Chamber of Secrets and Sorcerer's Stone, which I've already watched.) Number 11 is nearly complete! Only 2 more movies to go I believe.
Reply 13
More additions to the summer bucket list! Since my friend Kristen is leaving to go return to university soon (she actually goes the same one as Byjan, the one I made cookies with), I have a couple of deadlines that would also fit my summer bucket list.

16. Make Byjan a gift (a drawing?) for her birthday (I'll give them to Kristen this upcoming Saturday so she can take to Byjan)

17. Create my First Year university photo book. (All the older students were all saying that they don't remember their first year, and I didn't want that to happen.)
(edited 8 years ago)
Loving your blog! Good luck with the rest:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
One photo of me is my disappointed face that I had not read the Harry Potter books sooner. I had already seen all the movies before, but now that I'm reading the true story, it's like I'm feeling the loss and ending of Harry Potter that all the true fans felt years before. Although I'm only on the third book, I already know there's an end, and it's so disheartening to read on and to know what happens already. But the works are so good that I have to see them through. *Scholarly fan tears*

Day 3 of yoga! And in addition to Yoga (I've been using Adrienne's 30 Day Yoga challenge on youtube), I'm a big fan of Cassie Ho's Blogilates program. She never fails to make me sore....which ultimately makes me stronger, hahah. My dog joins me every time I do anything on the floor.

Also, implicitly implied on my bucket list is always hanging out with cool people and making unforgettable experiences. Because although not every person we hang out with for the present will stay with us, but that memory of the time spent together still is able to influence us subconsciously. I believe that it is our memories and experiences that build upon the foundation of the person we were already born to be.
Reply 16
My previous couple of pictures included me and a lovely young lady named Olugbola. She is from Nigeria and is my coworker at my little grocery store job. We are both cashiers and I'm very glad to have met her. She has taught me so much about her culture, from clothing and Hijabs to a few words in Swahili. For instance:

-Jambo= Hello
-Hujambo= How are you?
-Sijambo= I'm doing fine
-Haribu= You're welcome
-Ninakupenda= I love you

That day, we hung out for ice cream and I showed her my neighborhood. My neighborhood is rather hipster and vibrant, while also containing charm and being quaint. There's fun little clothing shops as well as unique stores that sell international items. The people are nice and there are many young college students. We got to see a little bit of each other's souls that day, sharing our life stories and how we got to where we are now. I will always wish her the best after I leave for Scotland to go study soon!
Reply 17
Original post by melissadawson
Loving your blog! Good luck with the rest:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! I appreciate it! :smile:
Reply 18
As usual, Day 4 of my Yoga Challenge. I like the playful, relaxed approach Adriene takes when instructing her yoga videos. Very relaxing and freeing to not feel like there's an exact right way to do something other than what feels good to you. The stretches feel so delicious, there's not any other word to describe the feeling. Today the video was titled, Yoga For Your Back. I like her themes!

As per promised, number 14, making macaroons with friends was not a complete success. But we sincerely attempted! Our issue was that we could not get the egg whites and sugar to rise to stiff peaks, which is essential to form the rounded hard shells for macaroons. We ended up making them into pink crisps and cupcakes with chocolate pieces on top. Mmmh, the melted chocolate with the crispy contrast was still tasty. :smile: Next time we will get it right though!

Those two friends I made macaroons with, I've known them for 6 years or more. I went to primary and secondary school with them. They have both filled my life with laughter, understanding, odd and hilarious experiences, and joy. I'm so thankful to have had great influences around me, and I hope to continue to keep in touch with them. They are blessings in my life. Thank you Shu and Imani, sending out my love for you both!
Reply 19
I apologize for not keeping up with my own commitment to post everyday, but I've been in a rut lately that required me to take some time for myself. Two days ago, I was in a car accident of my own fault. I haven't been injured, and thankfully, the other driver and passenger weren't either. I was frustrated because my water bottle wouldn't go into my cup holder, and out of the peripheral vision of my eye, I noticed the light was green and cars were moving. Since it was on a small decline, I rolled down faster than I would have if it were just on flat land. I just barely rolled into a trailer truck that was 5 feet in front of me. So there wasn't anything serious or anything. But it was untimely, because I was on my way to a doctors appointment, and we were on a busy intersection. The trailer truck I bumped into was a landscaping company, they cut grass and maintain people's yards and gardens. The manager was very nice about it with an understanding attitude and playful perspective, he kept reassuring me that, "Life happens, people make mistakes." I apologized profusely for wasting their time and mainly felt really stupid, because I knew better. I know better. Little things such as texting or wanting a water bottle to go into its place is trivial compared to the machine you're operating that could cause destruction at any time.

My mom was beyond annoyed and mad at first, but I admire her a lot. After her initial anger, she forgave me, and told me to move on. I helped her pay part of the towing company to haul our car away, and I walk to work now (it's not too far away). We will see how much the damage costs, but to really know how much my mom loves me and is willing to forgive me after I learned a hard lesson, of course, is what I'm truly thankful for. I've learned my lesson to never be distracted while driving, and that to move on past the event, because I don't want to be bogged down on it. I guess this is something I wasn't expecting, but something noteworthy to add onto the summer bucket list--get into my first car accident.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest