The Student Room Group
Yes you can, although you will usually need at least a 2:1 but preferably a first in biomedical science. It would take 8 years total although 9 if your biomedical science degree contains an industrial placement year. Although not part of your question, I personally feel it is easier to get the A level grades first time round than doing a whole degree that you must attain a very high mark in and then do dentistry after.
Reply 2
Original post by Zara A
If you are studying biomedical science, can you then study dentistry?

Approximately how many years altogether would that take if you could study bio-med then dentistry?

I've personally met a lot of dentist who studied bio medical science as a first degree. Providing you pass your biomedical degree with good grades it shouldn't be hard for you to apply for dentistry. Most students applying for dentistry with a relevant medical or science related degree usually go into the the third year of dentistry depending on which university you apply to. Therefore all together it would take 6/7 years. If you do decide to study bio medical science and then change your mind during the degree you can always transfer to dentistry.

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/biomed/study/transfer/
I have done this myself personally. I'm a 3rd year dental student at Barts and the London now. I did a BSc in Medical Biochemistry at Leicester before I applied to get into a BDS course. So yes it is definitely possible and all in all will take you 8 years from start to finish to complete if you want to take that route.
Reply 4
Hi I have a couple of questions for you! I was wondering whether or not you had to do UKCAT even though you did a biochem degree? and also did you start onto the 3rd year straight away after biochem? Is it very competitive to get onto the dentistry course through this route? Are you content with choosing to continue onto dentistry?

Hope you get the chance to answer and thank you so much in advance!:biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
bump
Hi guys I'm looking to do this myself! Any life updates?
Original post by qwertyuiop555
Hi guys I'm looking to do this myself! Any life updates?

I am applying for Dentistry as a graduate as well with achieved 1st in Biomed. This would be my third time though due to getting poor UCAT all the time (<2400). :frown:
I would say to take a gap year and reapply since you don't know what will happen in the next three years after you graduate your BSc.
Can you apply with a healthcare degree if its a BSc (Hons)? Like nursing, operating department practice etc?
Original post by Melodie92
I've personally met a lot of dentist who studied bio medical science as a first degree. Providing you pass your biomedical degree with good grades it shouldn't be hard for you to apply for dentistry. Most students applying for dentistry with a relevant medical or science related degree usually go into the the third year of dentistry depending on which university you apply to. Therefore all together it would take 6/7 years. If you do decide to study bio medical science and then change your mind during the degree you can always transfer to dentistry.

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/biomed/study/transfer/

I only know of graduate entry where you do 4 years so at best 7 years.
Reply 10
IIf I do biomedical degree as in undergraduate for 3 years, and than go into dentistry as a post graduate, will it still take me 8 years? Or just 4 years of postgraduate?
Also going from biomedical, do I have to do UCAT EXAM? (Can u give me some info about it)
Is dentistry better than medicine? (Which is easier or better?)
Original post by No_00
IIf I do biomedical degree as in undergraduate for 3 years, and than go into dentistry as a post graduate, will it still take me 8 years? Or just 4 years of postgraduate?
Also going from biomedical, do I have to do UCAT EXAM? (Can u give me some info about it)

I think most postgrad training for dentistry, if not all, are 4 years.
Dentistry vs. medicine will always be a hot debate. imho, it comes down to personal choice but dentistry gives you a better work-life balance and an opportunity to own a business sooner (im biased). I know more medics who have left medicine to pursue other things than dentists.
Original post by No_00

3 years science degree + 4 years grad entry dentistry = 7 years minimum if things go smoothly

Dental schools which require the UCAT will still ask for this whether you are applying from college or after having done a science degree

Dentistry vs medicine: both are hard and both are rewarding. You would need to do work experience in both to figure out which one is better for you. This is a very individual thing. An intelligent person with no passion for dentistry will make a terrible dentist. Likewise with medicine
Reply 13
Original post by konanakon
I have done this myself personally. I'm a 3rd year dental student at Barts and the London now. I did a BSc in Medical Biochemistry at Leicester before I applied to get into a BDS course. So yes it is definitely possible and all in all will take you 8 years from start to finish to complete if you want to take that route.

Did u take the graduate entry route or internal transfer? Also what exam did u do? UKAT or GAMSAT? (How long did that take you?)

Latest