The Student Room Group

Is the prestige of Bristol underrated compared to other Oxbridge alternatives?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Novelist
I am blown away by the beauty of Bristol's university buildings. They have such amazing architecture, and on such a scale, that even Oxbridge would be proud of. Why don't people on TSR rate Bristol better than Durham, in light of this?

because elvet riverside = un****withable
Reply 61
Original post by C_Richards99
So because they have good architecture, it somehow makes their reputation amazing? Bristol already has a good reputation anyways - to suggest that people should think an institution is academically amazing because of its buildings makes no sense.

https://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/news/top-20-universities-for-students-first-impressions/2015575.article

What is your obsession with prestige and forcing your opinion on everyone else?

This C_Richards99 is such an idiot. I have read his posts over the last few weeks, and he endlessly attacks Nottingham to the point where other TSR members have expressed worry towards his state of mind. He thinks Nottingham is on the same level as Reading all because of the UK league tables. Nottingham has an Oxford and Harvard educated head of Physics, and an Oxford and Cambridge educated head of Plant Sciences. And I could go on and on. Such facts aren't reflected in UK league tables because they are rubbish.

- Student satisfaction - I think we all agree this one should never have replaced the Teaching Quality assessment scores!

- Green score - Not even worthy of discussion.

- Student/staff ratio - This doesn't tell us how good the staff are does it?! I'd rather be taught by a Harvard educated lecturer in a lecture of 500 than some guy educated from Nottingham Trent in a group of 50.

- Graduate prospects - this measure doesn't differentiate the prestige of the company the graduate is going to. Nottingham graduates often end up at PWC or Goldman Sachs, whereas Lancaster graduates may end up on a graduate scheme for a logistics firm. Huge difference.

- Academic services spend - this one is ok, no issues really.

- Facilities spend - this one is ok.

- REF - The league tables reward universities that target a high GPA over ones which go for Research Power. It is Research Power which brings in the extra funding and resources from the government. GPA is rewarded in league tables but not in terms of income.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending