The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Should I resit my A-Levels to move from Bristol to LSE?

My A Level results this year were a bit of a mess. On results day I was graded at ABC (A in history, B in Economics and a C in Politics) after a remark I was moved up 18 marks in one politics paper and 5 overall in economics and now have AAB (B in politics).

I emailed LSE and complained that I believed I would have been given a space on the course this year had it been that I received AAB on results day due to the harsh grade boundaries (one of my friends missed her Imperial mark by 2 grades and still received an offer).

LSE actually gave me an offer for next year provided I’m able to achieve 3 A’s in my A Levels; this would mean having to resit my politics papers next year to move it from a B to and A.

I’m now at Uni of Bristol studying History & Russian which is a 4 year degree. However I could received a similar qualification, History (With Russian) from LSE in just 3 years. Re-sitting (provided I got into LSE) therefore wouldn’t take any more time than my current course as a mandatory year abroad exists.

There’s also a significant cost save to living in London as my family have recently moved there and with the state of the Bristol housing market.

I’m also concerned with Prestige and understand LSE is viewed, particularly by international students as a well respected university whilst Bristol, whilst still a top UK university, still pales in comparison to LSE’s prestige. I’m also interested in Economic History and unfortunately Bristol offers very little in this regard with my feeling being that the course focuses more on cultural studies and treats history more as an art than the social science I like to view it as.

I also would love to live in London, as specially with my family moving there, I’m not particularly fond of Bristol and only put it as an insurance choice in the event of something like this happening.

My question is, long story short, should I leave University of Bristol and redo my A Levels this year considering my guaranteed offer at LSE? Perhaps even apply to Oxbridge again? Or should I stay at Bristol and resit my a levels during university; considering this would still be cheaper than doing 4 years at Bristol overall. Alternatively, should I not bother and stay at Bristol, would this be likely to make my career harder considering I would like to work in Court of Protection in a Law firm.

Finally, are there any other potential options. Perhaps transfers (although these appear to be uncommon and only occur between universities within the Uni of London group).
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Christyhorgann
My A Level results this year were a bit of a mess. On results day I was graded at ABC (A in history, B in Economics and a C in Politics) after a remark I was moved up 18 marks in one politics paper and 5 overall in economics and now have AAB (B in politics).

I emailed LSE and complained that I believed I would have been given a space on the course this year had it been that I received AAB on results day due to the harsh grade boundaries (one of my friends missed her Imperial mark by 2 grades and still received an offer).

LSE actually gave me an offer for next year provided I’m able to achieve 3 A’s in my A Levels; this would mean having to resit my politics papers next year to move it from a B to and A.

I’m now at Uni of Bristol studying History & Russian which is a 4 year degree. However I could received a similar qualification, History (With Russian) from LSE in just 3 years. Re-sitting (provided I got into LSE) therefore wouldn’t take any more time than my current course as a mandatory year abroad exists.

There’s also a significant cost save to living in London as my family have recently moved there and with the state of the Bristol housing market.

I’m also concerned with Prestige and understand LSE is viewed, particularly by international students as a well respected university whilst Bristol, whilst still a top UK university, still pales in comparison to LSE’s prestige. I’m also interested in Economic History and unfortunately Bristol offers very little in this regard with my feeling being that the course focuses more on cultural studies and treats history more as an art than the social science I like to view it as.

I also would love to live in London, as specially with my family moving their, I’m not particularly fond of Bristol and only put it as an insurance choice in the event of something like this happening.

My question is, long story short, should I leave University of Bristol and redo my A Levels this year considering my guaranteed offer at LSE? Perhaps even apply to Oxbridge again? Or should I stay at Bristol and resit my a levels during university; considering this would still be cheaper than doing 4 years at Bristol overall. Alternatively, should I not bother and stay at Bristol, would this be likely to make my career harder considering I would like to work in Court of Protection in a Law firm.

Finally, are there any other potential options. Perhaps transfers (although these appear to be uncommon and only occur between universities within the Uni of London group).

Frankly, LSE and Bristol are broadly similar level of universities for History etc. If you were doing Economics perhaps I would strongly advise going to LSE but your future career prospects will depend more on what you do during your university time. London has much better interning opportunities of course.

However, it is also important to enjoy university and you've said you are keen on London more

Advantages of LSE:
Prestige
Career opportunities in London
London
Save one year tuition
Can apply to Oxbridge again

Advantages of Bristol:
Can start university earlier.

I would wait for LSE
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Drop out and focus on getting an A in your Politics A level.
Nothing is garanteed about this offer. You don't know you will get an A grade and as far as I can see, they are not obligated to offer you again. Especially as you would need to add to your new application that you dropped out of a university course.

I can see you are having trouble settling in Bristol with the dream of what might have been but be very careful that you don't end up in a worse position next year. Better to finish the course you are actually on?
Original post by totallyfine
Nothing is garanteed about this offer. You don't know you will get an A grade and as far as I can see, they are not obligated to offer you again. Especially as you would need to add to your new application that you dropped out of a university course.

I can see you are having trouble settling in Bristol with the dream of what might have been but be very careful that you don't end up in a worse position next year. Better to finish the course you are actually on?

Thanks for responding, however, I think you misunderstand my situation slightly. They have already offered me entry for next year provided I get an A during my resits that I am considering sitting whilst still attending Uni of Bristol.
Thanks for responding, however, I think you misunderstand my situation slightly. They have already offered me entry for next year provided I get an A during my resits that I am considering sitting whilst still attending Uni of Bristol.

I did understand but it sounds a bit iffy to me. I hope you get the A you need but it is not a given, so you do not have a guaranteed place. And is this through your current UCAS application? I can't see how it is if you have also accepted a place to Bristol. So you will have to apply again for next year with the email from them as evidence?

I think it is ill advised to try a retake and keep on a first year Uni course. The Uni course deserves your full focus. But it is your choice.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 6

This is so risky - keeping up with a degree and revising. Have you checked when the exams are, how much they will cost and found a centre that will take you? How do you know they won't clash with uni assessments? Hiestly LSE is not worth it and you won't save any SFE course costs - in fact you'll lose your gift year.
Original post by Muttley79
This is so risky - keeping up with a degree and revising. Have you checked when the exams are, how much they will cost and found a centre that will take you? How do you know they won't clash with uni assessments? Hiestly LSE is not worth it and you won't save any SFE course costs - in fact you'll lose your gift year.

Factoring in the costs of accommodation in Bristol during the next 3 years as well as centre costs for re-sitting A-Levels I'd still save over £10,000 overall due to my family living in London.

We're not going through Student Finance England at the minute anyway as we can afford to pay it off and don't want the extra interest so SFE not paying out for a possible 5th year is fine with me (I'm convinced I don't want to do a Masters degree anyway)

I think it will be hard work however It's been several weeks at Bristol now and I'm still not really happy here so I think it's worth the hard work.

Thank you for replying! I haven't considered clashes with university assessments so I'll look into that; I believe my course is almost entirely coursework based at the minute anyway.
Original post by totallyfine
I did understand but it sounds a bit iffy to me. I hope you get the A you need but it is not a given, so you do not have a guaranteed place. And is this through your current UCAS application? I can't see how it is if you have also accepted a place to Bristol. So you will have to apply again for next year with the email from them as evidence?

I think it is ill advised to try a retake and keep on a first year Uni course. The Uni course deserves your full focus. But it is your choice.

It's through another UCAS application that I've filled out and LSE have confirmed the offer several times. The offer is in the bag luckily it's just if I'm able to get an A or not.

I think I should be able to give getting an A a shot, the only thing I'll lose if I don't get in is the cost of resitting which I'm able to take a hit on.

Do you think you could shed more light on how important the first year exams are around May-July as that's when the Politics A-Level is likely to be sat? Thanks for replying, it's good to get some fresh perspectives on this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending