The Student Room Group

Oxbridge

I'm a french undergraduated student applying for UCAS (want to study mathematics)
I understant that entering to Oxbridge is more difficult that entering to other of the british universities, what do they truly expect from us which makes this special (especially in mathematics)?
Reply 1
Original post by iadnani1
I'm a french undergraduated student applying for UCAS (want to study mathematics)
I understant that entering to Oxbridge is more difficult that entering to other of the british universities, what do they truly expect from us which makes this special (especially in mathematics)?

Firstly, be aware you can only aply to Oxford OR Cambridge, not both.

Cambridge (and Oxford, but I'm not so familiar with their admissions processes) fundamentally want the very best candidates and you need to demonstrate that you will be succesfull if you go on to take the degree. They (Cambridge) do this by asking for very high marks in your public exams - are you doing IB, or something else? - and most importantly in any maths modules.

Cambridge interviews most applicants and if you do get an interview you may asked to do a pre-interview test, and then be asked mathematics questions during your interview. It's not necessary to get all the questions right - they want to see how you think and develop a potential solution. i.e. it's a bit of a trial run for the supervision/tutorial system at the heart of the teaching methods in Oxbridge.

If you get an offer from Cambridge you will also have to do well in STEP - the Cambridge maths entrance exams.

Also, do you have any maths super-curiculars - e.g. participation in IMO, or similar?
Reply 2
Thanks for the answer! I understand that, actually I want to apply for Cambridge so you truly answer to my question
Thank you for the informations about the interviews, if there is a special preparation to have for the interviews it'd great if you could tell me

So STEP needs to be taken only after getting an offer to Cambridge? There's no hurry?
I did NMO only
Reply 3
Original post by iadnani1
Thanks for the answer! I understand that, actually I want to apply for Cambridge so you truly answer to my question
Thank you for the informations about the interviews, if there is a special preparation to have for the interviews it'd great if you could tell me

So STEP needs to be taken only after getting an offer to Cambridge? There's no hurry?
I did NMO only

Yes STEP is taken after getting your offer, but many start their preparation early. Look for the TSR STEP prep thread.

Also I recommend you join this thread for potential applicants (many of the regular posters are planning to do Maths, and some live in France :wink: ):
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3370493
The Official Cambridge Applicants Thread 2016 Entry MK II

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
thank you very much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending