The Student Room Group

THE STRAIGHT A's AT AS THREAD

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheHopefulMedic
Tbh I knew I wanted to work for the NHS since I was in year 5 - it fascinated me. But I've wanted to be a doctor for the last year or just under but it was me for years trying to deny it and now I've just accepted it and am aiming for 97+ ums in all subjects.

Biology OCR A
Chemistry OCR A
Math AQA
English language and literature WJEC

How about you?

Biology aqa
Chemistry aqa
Maths edexcel
Fm edexcel
I'm aiming for high ums too... I want to get close to 100 for maths AS especially, or an A* in the first year.
Reply 41
Original post by semise
Really annoying that the sciences are on the new spec :/ I hope to do Maths, Physics, Chemistry and French but I actually think I'll need FM (desirable but not essential) for my future career - I dont want to swap any of them though and 5 A-levels is a stretch for me :L
results day will decide!

Yeah, I agree :/ Ooo, nice choices! What do you hope to study?
And true, good luck for that day!!! :redface:
Hi!

I have so far completed headstart to biology and read the books for English. I am trying to find a part time job as well. I will also complete head start to chemistry and math.

I also want to do the first module of all my subjects before the year starts. Hopefully I will be able to get this all done and out of the way for next year:smile:

Do you think that is too much? Because I want to get 97 plus ums which I know is going to be difficult but if there's a will there's a way:smile:

That's pretty good!! No not really, though people have said that I should take this summer easy as AS to A2 will be very involved compared to past summers. I wish you the best and hope that we all achieve our goals. :smile:
Reply 42
Original post by FatimaHere

I'm interested in Physics and Chemical Engineering - which is why FM is desirable :/What do you hope to do at Alevel/degree?:biggrin:
Reply 43
Original post by semise
I'm interested in Physics and Chemical Engineering - which is why FM is desirable :/What do you hope to do at Alevel/degree?:biggrin:

Oooo, nice! Ahhh I see what you mean.
At A-Level, the sciences and maths only :P Then for degree, Medicine!! :h::tongue:
Reply 44
Oooo, nice! Ahhh I see what you mean.
At A-Level, the sciences and maths only :P Then for degree, Medicine!! :h::tongue:

Good luck! I'd never be able to pursue medicine since it's so competitive but as long as you have the dedication it shouldnt be so bad! Ah, all the sciences and maths are going to get tiring after a while since they all involve high levels of commitment but I hope you still do well! :smile:
Reply 45
Original post by semise
Good luck! I'd never be able to pursue medicine since it's so competitive but as long as you have the dedication it shouldnt be so bad! Ah, all the sciences and maths are going to get tiring after a while since they all involve high levels of commitment but I hope you still do well! :smile:

Thank you!! Awhh yep I hope ^^ And I'm glad I like them then! XD
Aww, you too :biggrin:

That's pretty good!! No not really, though people have said that I should take this summer easy as AS to A2 will be very involved compared to past summers. I wish you the best and hope that we all achieve our goals. :smile:

Thank you! I hope you achieve your goals as well! What exams boards will you be sitting if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 47
Thank you! I hope you achieve your goals as well! What exams boards will you be sitting if you don't mind me asking?

Aww thanks!:h:
Biology- AQA
Chemistry- OCR
Maths- OCR MEI
Physics- OCR
:tongue:
Hi Guys,

I really want to read Law at Cambridge University. I'm hoping to get about 95% UMS for AS exams.

Come September I will be taking:

Maths - Edexcel
Further Maths - Edexcel
Economics - OCR
History - AQA
General Studies ( Compulsory at my sixth form, I don't know the exam board)

I am moving to a new school and won't know many people there....I am set on getting excellent marks for both my AS and A2 exams and I was wondering if anyone could give any tips on any good books to read or do over the summer, or tips on how to hit the ground running in Year 12.Thanks in advance!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 49
Original post by QuantumStuff
Hi Guys,

I really want to read Law at Cambridge University. I'm hoping to get about 95% UMS for AS exams.

Come September I will be taking:

Maths - Edexcel
Further Maths - Edexcel
Economics - OCR
History - AQA
General Studies ( Compulsory at my sixth form, I don't know the exam board)

I am moving to a new school and won't know many people there....I am set on getting excellent marks for both my AS and A2 exams and I was wondering if anyone could give any tips on any good books to read or do over the summer, or tips on how to hit the ground running in Year 12.Thanks in advance!

Hello there! Welcome to the thread. :smile:
Those seem like good subjects to take for Law, especially if you have Cambridge in mind!
Same here, I'll be the only one from my school going!
I think you could perhaps just complete the Headstart guides, then for maths go over the Exam Solutions videos (not sure if the guy has made videos on Further Maths though, so sorry)
That's what I'm doing, as I'm taking all Sciences and Maths (no FM though). But for books I searched recommended reads for medicine (especially Cambridge Medicine) and borrowed a few of the recommended books from my local library (ended up buying two). I've really liked the reads, so perhaps it'd be useful for you to do the same sort of thing?

Good luck for the entirety of your A-Levels, not just AS! I hope we both achieve what we want to!:tongue:
Hello there! Welcome to the thread. :smile:
Those seem like good subjects to take for Law, especially if you have Cambridge in mind!
Same here, I'll be the only one from my school going!
I think you could perhaps just complete the Headstart guides, then for maths go over the Exam Solutions videos (not sure if the guy has made videos on Further Maths though, so sorry)
That's what I'm doing, as I'm taking all Sciences and Maths (no FM though). But for books I searched recommended reads for medicine (especially Cambridge Medicine) and borrowed a few of the recommended books from my local library (ended up buying two). I've really liked the reads, so perhaps it'd be useful for you to do the same sort of thing?

Good luck for the entirety of your A-Levels, not just AS! I hope we both achieve what we want to!:tongue:

Your options sound great too :smile:

Is anyone else having dreams about getting bad grades for GCSE's. I counted up my marks, as best as I could, at the end of each exam and definitely got either an A/A* for each subject based on past years boundaries. Hopefully, I get grades good enough for a competitive course like Law, especially at Cambridge :smile:

I think it's best if I just by the revision guides for AS subjects and complete them ahaha :P
Im going to sixthform to do the typical combination of maths biology chemistry and last but not least, physics (and I MUST get 100 ums in all lol). I am not sure whether to do medicine or pharmacy in the future
Reply 52
Your options sound great too :smile:

Is anyone else having dreams about getting bad grades for GCSE's. I counted up my marks, as best as I could, at the end of each exam and definitely got either an A/A* for each subject based on past years boundaries. Hopefully, I get grades good enough for a competitive course like Law, especially at Cambridge :smile:

I think it's best if I just by the revision guides for AS subjects and complete them ahaha :P

Oh gosh, yep- but moreso just after exams, especially with Maths. I still sometimes worry that I didn't do enough to get the A* that I so badly want in it. I've definitely gotten either an A or A* though for each, but I really really really would like far more A*s than A grades. *I can't even put into words how badly I want it*
But hopefully! I think with the long wait we're all bound to become apprehensive.

Original post by Kai Diawara
Im going to sixthform to do the typical combination of maths biology chemistry and last but not least, physics (and I MUST get 100 ums in all lol). I am not sure whether to do medicine or pharmacy in the future

Aha, ditto XD Good luck though!! I'm just aiming for at least 95%, but I have my eye on that 100 definitely!!
Oo, may I ask why pharmacy? I don't really know any people thinking of perhaps pursing pharmacy.

Oh gosh, yep- but moreso just after exams, especially with Maths. I still sometimes worry that I didn't do enough to get the A* that I so badly want in it. I've definitely gotten either an A or A* though for each, but I really really really would like far more A*s than A grades. *I can't even put into words how badly I want it*
But hopefully! I think with the long wait we're all bound to become apprehensive.

Aha, ditto XD Good luck though!! I'm just aiming for at least 95%, but I have my eye on that 100 definitely!!
Oo, may I ask why pharmacy? I don't really know any people thinking of perhaps pursing pharmacy.

Sure, I really like chemistry, but I feel not enough biology/biochemistry is involved plus the salary after a chemistry degree is a joke and medicine does not have enough chemistry and looks too stressful. so I guess pharmacy is in the middle
I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics for A-Levels. I'm hoping for a pleasant 90+ UMS in all of them, but who knows? :ahee:

I'm in the same position, out of the 10 GCSE's I have taken I really want, and I mean really want, more A*'s than A's :smile:
Reply 56
Original post by M0nkey Thunder
I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics for A-Levels. I'm hoping for a pleasant 90+ UMS in all of them, but who knows? :ahee:

Nice choices! Good luck! :h:

Sure, I really like chemistry, but I feel not enough biology/biochemistry is involved plus the salary after a chemistry degree is a joke and medicine does not have enough chemistry and looks too stressful. so I guess pharmacy is in the middle

Ahh, makes sense. :smile:

I'm in the same position, out of the 10 GCSE's I have taken I really want, and I mean really want, more A*'s than A's :smile:

Let's hope we get what we we deserve! :biggrin::u:
Reply 57
THE STRAIGHT A's AT AS THREAD

So is this for those of us that achieved straight A's at AS, or those that wish to? Or both? :bl:

Nice, I did the exact combo
Guys no offence right but yall need to chill over the summer big time. This is the last carefree summer you'll ever have. Next year you'll be waiting for your AS to come which will dictate what unis you can apply to and then A2 to see if you actually get into uni or not. You'll be stressing for two years straight so you need to have some chill time because trying to cram stuff in two months before you start sixth form is literally pointless.
(Also pls don't think I'm some idiot, I'm also aiming for straight As but after my GCSEs I didn't do anything til September, and even if I did it would be pointless because AS start from scratch anyway)

Quick Reply

Latest