The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
kellywood_5
Lol, you don't want to get me started on private schools either, I'd be ranting for ages! :p: Although it would be nice to be able to express my views without being lynched by an angry mob, which I probably would be at Exeter given the high proportion of ex private school students here! The debate has been done to death, but I'd be happy to join in if you want to start one.

Kattrin: Sorry for completely hijacking your thread, by the way!

Bring it on...
Reply 81
Meh, maybe later :p:
Reply 82
so on monday i will talk to my referee. if she writes a letter to durham it will be more convincing, i think :smile:

heh anyone can help me to invent some serious personal circumstances which would basically explain why i decided to apply to durham ??so that i can persuade them to consider my application?
any ideas???

postcript . it should seem sound to my referee as well, so any drastic health problems or anything is not the best option :wink:
Reply 83
I don't think too many TSRians will condone you lying to get a place, to be honest.
Reply 84
Ronove
I don't think too many TSRians will condone you lying to get a place, to be honest.

I wouldn't condone lying because that would disingenous and dishonest.

But, you have to sound very apologetic and explain the fact that you feel you made a massive mistake etc..just be creative.
Ronove

:ditto: Anyway, I'd imagine most serious personal circumstances would need to be backed up with some sort of evidence, and I doubt your referee would knowingly lie for you.
Reply 86
There are options to do vocational education at college instead of GCSEs, some people from my school left at the end of year 10 and went off to do courses at the local college, however they still had to do some english and maths (but i think it wasn't at GCSE level but was some form of qualification)

Oh and can anyone tell me if the fact that the government are very soon making education up until the age of 18 compulsory, someone told me the other day it would be in place for people who are currently in year 10 or something

Edit: forgot to read the 5th page cause i'm half asleep so sorry for the randomness of this compared to the stuff above
Juncture
There are options to do vocational education at college instead of GCSEs, some people from my school left at the end of year 10 and went off to do courses at the local college, however they still had to do some english and maths (but i think it wasn't at GCSE level but was some form of qualification)

Oh and can anyone tell me if the fact that the government are very soon making education up until the age of 18 compulsory, someone told me the other day it would be in place for people who are currently in year 10 or something

Edit: forgot to read the 5th page cause i'm half asleep so sorry for the randomness of this compared to the stuff above

Yeah, some people at my school did that as well. It was called Vocational Horizons and they spent 3 days at college/work and the other 2 at school doing GCSEs in English language, maths, single science and short course RS.

I'm not sure if it's definitely going to happen or when they're going to do it, but it has been suggested.
Reply 88
i didn't mean lying 'cause that's smth I'd never do. I was rather thinking about writing a true story, but present it in such a way that someone would believe that this is the uni which means the most (and you may believe me or not- i love it, esp.the collegiate system)

the main reason for this change are the new circumstances that arose in my life. someone important to me has already got an offer from durham, and was rejected by london, warwick and bristol. so i guess it's the only chance we could live and study together.

from the unis with really good law courses durham seems to be the last chance.

well, i don't think the admission tutor would be pleased after reading a story like that. so what should i do??
There's nothing else you can do really. To be honest, I doubt Durham will give you an offer because it's a very competitive uni and course, it's after the deadline and I don't think unis are allowed/supposed to give offers other than through UCAS, but there'd be no harm in trying by writing a letter saying how good the uni/course is and how much you want to go there.
Reply 90
Dark and Lovely
Their policy for law this year is having more than 20 in the LNAT so it seems..

i guess im an exception then cuz i did poorly on the LNAT (due to certain reasons although the unis didnt know that) and i got a 15 :s-smilie:..My predicted IB grades are 39 to 40 plus 2 or 3 bonus points dont know the exact number cuz they dont tell us..anyway i did get an offer from durham and its not that hard either..34 points..i dont know whether i should go there or not:confused:
Reply 91
oh and kattrin i hope everything works out for u :smile:
Reply 92
34 points??? That's an extremely low offer- of course you should go there!!! big congrats :smile: to give you an idea, warwick asked me for 38 points and even poor essex wants 36 !!!

Latest

Trending

Trending