The Student Room Group

Do employers value an online degree?

I have been cut off from being able to progress to an EE honours degree because i don't have a work placement, i'm not going to find one either.

So do you think it's a good idea to get an online degree? in your experience what have employers said about these? If i do an online degree who do you recommend it with? And do they give you UCAS points?

I thought I should just make up that I had a degree and had a previous employer, because usually they don't even ask, the EE degree is not completely relevant anyway, so when you go for a job you'll be nearly in the same position before you got the degree. Agreed?

I seriously don't think I have any option now, I can't get the course because of employment, and can't get the employment because I don't have experience. It's literally impossible to start.

You can easily print off a degree using a generator and get the job, also just search for a closed down company to say you have experience. A lot you just learn online.
I am a little confused. When you say EE do you mean Electronic Engineering? I am also unsure why your degree is void given you can't get a placement. Certainly in my experience, 4 year sandwich degrees are interchangeable with three year straight degrees.

Have you spoken to your course administrators? Also go to the student advice centre in your union. They will offer much better and relevant advice than anything you can get on here.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by ByEeek
I am a little confused. When you say EE do you mean Electronic Engineering? I am also unsure why your degree is void given you can't get a placement. Certainly in my experience, 4 year sandwich degrees are interchangeable with three year straight degrees.

Have you spoken to your course administrators? Also go to the student advice centre in your union. They will offer much better and relevant advice than anything you can get on here.

Good luck!

I have completed a hnc in electrical engineering.

I can't get onto the fdsc at my local college as it requires a work placement.

I would like to get an online degree at arizona state university for example seeing as it makes it possible, or even an FdSc then go to southampton for the honours degree top up. And I'll make sure it's accredited.

Is that a good idea? I am doing what I can and would take any option if it gets me to complete this honours degree.
Original post by NullDrone

I would like to get an online degree at arizona state university for example seeing as it makes it possible, or even an FdSc then go to southampton for the honours degree top up. And I'll make sure it's accredited.

Is that a good idea?

Hmmm - I can't help feeling that you are making life hard for yourself. When you apply for jobs, especially in this country, the first question you will be asked is "Why have you got such an elaborate educational background?" and if it comes out that it was because you couldn't get a works placement, the next logical question is "Why couldn't you get a work placement?"

So why can't you? Other people do, so why not you? If the answer is that you haven't had much luck, then chances are, no matter what your educational background, you are going to struggle to get jobs.

You therefore need to address this inability to get a placement. Is it your application, CV or interview technique or a combination? Get it sorted and get that placement. Glossing over the cracks by doing an online course with a university no one has heard of will put off the inevitable for another few years.

Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by ByEeek
Hmmm - I can't help feeling that you are making life hard for yourself. When you apply for jobs, especially in this country, the first question you will be asked is "Why have you got such an elaborate educational background?" and if it comes out that it was because you couldn't get a works placement, the next logical question is "Why couldn't you get a work placement?"

So why can't you? Other people do, so why not you? If the answer is that you haven't had much luck, then chances are, no matter what your educational background, you are going to struggle to get jobs.

You therefore need to address this inability to get a placement. Is it your application, CV or interview technique or a combination? Get it sorted and get that placement. Glossing over the cracks by doing an online course with a university no one has heard of will put off the inevitable for another few years.

Good luck!

But of course, I will just say that it was cheaper than the local education around me.

What I want to know is if I do it this way will I end up with a good job?

Also do you need a degree to get this placement? Or can you go just as far with a HNC? To me a degree doesnt seem worth it as you get like £18,000 of debt then that debt compounds, the interest rates will rise and itll quickly accumulate. For example a £9,000 debt unpaid for 25 years with 5% interest will accumulate to £31,000 hence why they tell you that you dont have to pay it off straight away, they are good at tricking people, that's what they're like. They'll wait until you are deep in debt when the interest rates are more attractive and then BOOM! It'll rise, it won't be pretty.

I'd prefer to keep the debt down low because if you have a high debt and struggle to find a job, chances are you'll be £100,000 worse off from going to uni.

I think I'm probably going to forget going to university altogether because regardless because I can be a web developer and earn a similar salary, plus they accept you if you don't have a degree, it just takes longer to find the job. Ultimately they want experience, every single job advert i've seen asks me if I have experience. If you can do the job then *******s to the degree lol.

You could also lie that you have a degree then that's fine right? Its only when you print a fake degree do you get fined. At the end of the day I dont give a **** about lying, the bankers can be very deceptive and screw over everyone despite being incredibly rich, they don't get any punishment, nor do they live by any decent morality IMO.

If you put yourself in the employers position you'll understand that they just someone that can do the job and do it well, they have no reason to employ someone that has no experience when they can get someone that's been doing it for years, hence why they don't bother offering apprenticeships or internships unless it's slave labour.
(edited 8 years ago)
Right. A few points here.

1. I am an employer. I have just helped hire x3 graduates.
2. I am really confused about this placement. You started out saying that without one you couldn't get into uni. Now you are asking if it is necessary. My understanding is that you can do a degree without. Some degree courses allow for a placement year.
3. A degree will get you an interview. Only you can get a job. There are no guarantees.
4. There is no point in lying. If you have the skills get a job on merit. If you are caught lying most companies would ask you to leave and you will struggle to get a referee.
5. Student finance is significantly different to normal loans. After a certain time when they have not been paid off, they are written off.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by ByEeek
Right. A few points here.

1. I am an employer. I have just helped hire x3 graduates.
2. I am really confused about this placement. You started out saying that without one you couldn't get into uni. Now you are asking if it is necessary. My understanding is that you can do a degree without. Some degree courses allow for a placement year.
3. A degree will get you an interview. Only you can get a job. There are no guarantees.
4. There is no point in lying. If you have the skills get a job on merit. If you are caught lying most companies would ask you to leave and you will struggle to get a referee.
5. Student finance is significantly different to normal loans. After a certain time when they have not been paid off, they are written off.

Do you take people on without just a HNC or is a degree only what you'll accept.

Yeah I want to do well but I have this strong gut feeling i'll come out of university in trouble, a large debt and they won't accept me, seeing as they can get people who can do the job.

If I could struggle into a position with just a HNC then i'd prefer that, I could get a FdSc next year maybe but I am unsure about the last year, the degree (top up).

By the way I've been seriously applying for jobs in the last year but I've never heard anyone say about a degree, they only ask if I have experience, IMO they don't care about a degree.
(edited 8 years ago)
what course are you applying for, are you trying to get onto a day release course when full time would be appropriate?
Original post by NullDrone
Do you take people on without just a HNC or is a degree only what you'll accept.

Yeah I want to do well but I have this strong gut feeling i'll come out of university in trouble, a large debt and they won't accept me, seeing as they can get people who can do the job.

Here we only take people with degrees. However I have worked at companies that have hired people with exemplary skills but no degree as such. If software dev is what you want to do, don't fear the loans. They are not like the sort of loan you get from the bank where bailiffs start chasing you if you can't pay. Sure it needs to be paid back, but you pay at source so you can't accidentally spend your repayment monies.

The software industry in the UK is currently booming. We are desperate for more people and there is more and more choice about where you can work. With a trend of more automation, things are only going to improve in our field. The future is very bright indeed!

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest