The Student Room Group

"Does Britain owe reparations to her former colonies?"

Scroll to see replies

Original post by deborarosa
WHY are you REFUSING to UNDERSTAND. I suggest you do steady research on the servitude in Africa pre Europeans and the havoc the trans altantic Slavs trade caused. It actually isn't comparble. At all. I don't know what books you have been reading but I suggest don't read one by a Alavert apologist. Pre Europeans Africans didn't drag others from their families and shipped them half way across the world. They weren't thrown over ships. Stop trying to undermine what the slave trade involved. African lives matter. I wonder if Africans or Arabs invaded your land, stoleyour resources and people and killed millions of you, you would try underplay what really happened. No you would not. Of course Europeans will be asked to pay reparations and not other Africans lmao. after the land has been ravaged and stripped were meant to pay back whom.? Seeming as after imperialism, random tribes were put together to make different countries it could never work. After the amount of chaos that had happened to the continent, Africans have a sense of unity, we work toward helping eachother and building eachother up. Even after allll these years Europeans are STILL exploiting Africa. Don't even try bring up aid either LOL. That's like taking someone's diamond ring, give them a silver ring and try tell them to be grateful. Africans never stole resources sooo. Idek why you are trying to conpare. After the end of SLAVERY, SLAVE OWNERS got reparations. Slaves got nothing and their descendants are still owed money. This money should be given to these people/countries. In this case the Carrbbiean. I'm not even saying Africa should or can get reparations because I know that will never happen. If Museums across the world could give back our looted artefacts and stop exploiting our resources that would be nice tho. I've ranted enough feel free to stop being ignorant or continue too. I wouldn't choose the latter but that's just me. I didn't check for typos so there is zero pointing them out if there are any : )

Europeans bought slaves.

You completely forget about the large empires which existed, which sold the slaves to the Europeans

Oh and why didn't the Europeans colonise Africa during the slave trade?

Why much later during the scramble for Africa?

And you act as if all black peoples are the same, when they are not. There are countless ethnicities in Africa.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ESPORTIVA LUTA
Europeans bought slaves.

You completely forget about the large empires which existed, which sold the slaves to the Europeans

Oh and why didn't the Europeans colonise Africa during the slave trade?

Why much later during the scramble for Africa?

And you act as if all black peoples are the same, when they are not. There are countless ethnicities in Africa.

Yes, a lot of people say blacks 'sold their own' into slavery, but this is not true. various black kingdoms and tribes were at war with each other, just like Europeans were at war with other Europeans.

The Africans that sold other blacks into slavery weren't selling their own, they were selling their enemies.
(edited 8 years ago)
Ow boohoo the Irish were traded as slaves do you see us crying that we want an apology and our land back? No! Grow a set and move on with your lives.

Posted from TSR Mobile
wow you people know **** all about british colonialism and south asia... probably want to look into that before making such sweeping claims
Original post by zgb1
"Tharoor began by stating that before the British rule, India’s share of the world economy was 23% but by the time Britain left it was reduced to 4%."

And can some of the SJWs explain where is the evidence for this figure? It seems it is pulled from ass. India had no industry prior to the British. Not any country had industry in the early 19th century.

It's a genuine statistic but misleading.

Global GDP grew overall so the later 4% is more than the earlier 23%.

For example 4% of a million is more than 23% of 100
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by zgb1
Of course they had lot of trade with neighbours, but it was far from any industry and especially far from any "world trade". If the British did not came India would still be divided into smaller states and it woul not able to be what is today.

I agree with you, wholeheartedly. As a girl who has been to Calcutta, you have no idea how much the British have contributed. Railways, judiciary system, parliamentary buildings to name a few. Despite this, I am, by no means, sucking up to the British. All I'm saying is that except returning a few of the artefacts, especially the Kohinoor, Britain doesn't really owe anyone a pound of flesh, because if it does then so does Portugal, France, Dutch East India Company etc.

Edit: Just found out the Kohinoor issue was raised up in a parliamentary session, ohh yeahh!!
I would argue that the majority of the former colonies owe Britain BIG TIME for the investment into infrastructure, legal framework etc...and for generally pulling them out of the dark ages.

There's cheek, and then there's this :L
Original post by jf1994
I would argue that the majority of the former colonies owe Britain BIG TIME for the investment into infrastructure, legal framework etc...and for generally pulling them out of the dark ages.

There's cheek, and then there's this :L

True but alot of nations didn't benefit

I.E. china
Original post by ESPORTIVA LUTA
True but alot of nations didn't benefit

I.E. china

What about Hong Kong? We essential rented it and then gave it back better than it was?
Original post by Man.bear.pig
yes, and the speaker in the video said that as well, and as I found most compelling to point out :rofl: beautiful.

Its so crazy how people just want to undermine what really happened. How can slave owners get reparations that's sooooo disgusting...shows no one really wanted it to end anyway smh
Original post by zgb1
Well, this is defintly not true. Slavery existed in Africa centuries before the arrival of European and it was not uncommon. Also, the African slave traders were selling their slaves to Europeans and there is many recorded case of such things. Slaves in Africa would usually exist as a results of spoils of war between various tribes. Here is the source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_Africa#Slavery_practices_throughout_Africa

Also funny that you do not adress Arab slave trade that enslaved even more Africans than Europeans.

But the point is that slavery existed in every society on Earth so Africa does not get a free pass.

All live matter, not only African

Well, yes Arabs and Ottomans were raiding the shores of Europe for centuries and even catched slaves from Europe.

Miguel de Cervantes, the author of Don Quijote was captured by Arabs and worked as a slave.
Also, the Ottomans were using children of christian parents (mostly from the Balkans and Eastern Europe) an made into lave soldiers called jannisaries. Ye, you never hear Poland or Bosnia asking reparation from Turkey or Egypt.

"Of course Europeans will be asked to pay reparations and not other Africans lmao."
In that case so can Italy ask reparations from Marocco as well.

"After the amount of chaos that had happened to the continent, Africans have a sense of unity, we work toward helping eachother and building eachother up."
Yeah right. Africa is now plundered by wars and dictators. If that is true what you said than Africans would not go in Europe to work again for their former masters.

"Even after allll these years Europeans are STILL exploiting Africa. Don't even try bring up aid either LOL."
How are Europeans exploting Africa today? Yes, I agree Europe should stop sending aid to Africa. If you are right what you said before than they would not protesting since they are "working together".

"That's like taking someone's diamond ring, give them a silver ring and try tell them to be grateful. Africans never stole resources sooo."
Let us be honest. Even back than the Africans had no technlogy to exploit their own resources. Oil was not reachable for them.

"In this case the Carrbbiean. I'm not even saying Africa should or can get reparations because I know that will never happen."
True and it is social just because if Africa get reparations so should Africa pay to other countries as well. Not to mention it is hard to determine who should get it since there are not living people from the age of slavery

"If Museums across the world could give back our looted artefacts and stop exploiting our resources that would be nice tho."
Yes, Africa can have its artefacts especially since it is not of the top. Exploiting your resources? You mean the corrupt politicians who allowed the oil explotation? Well that is your own pproblem since not of others people.

"I've ranted enough feel free to stop being ignorant or continue too."
No, I am not ignorant. I confirmed all my statements with sources.

OH You're one of those 'ALL LIVES MATTER'......BUT when its black lives you're silent and are making excuses hmmm BRIGADE. LMAO. I can see now why you're so adamant. Lol at your nasty snide comments 'we can have our artefacts back because it is not of the top' LOL yeah right. People flock the world to see them. They are amazing. Also you know nothing. ALLOW OIL EPXLIATAION? you really are amazing. You can try justify anything right. Stop exploiting us simple as that. How are you victim blaming...Their are corrupt politicians across the world. Most Politicians are corrupt and selfish. EVERYWHERE. How can you try justify oil exploitation by saying corrupt politicians allow it like that even makes sense. wowwwww. Like they even represent the people. Let me teach you a bit of small history. The reason why some African politicians are corrupt is due to how the history of many of the countries began. For example Nigeria, was created by the British. Initially had a military leadership until it became democratic. Random tribes were put together to make one country simply because they were next to each other. Before this there were only tribes. Now when these countries were created and leaders were put in place, this caused friction between the tribes. People would only look out for people in their tribes but not care for the others. Seeming as not long ago, these other tribes meant nothing to them. Corrupt politicians would invest money towards their tribes people while others suffered. This is why till this day there is still tension between the North and South of the country. Conflicting cultures. Nowadays things are slowly changing.The scars of tribalism are slowly fading. Luckily many new leaders are losing the coloniser grip. Don't worry soon no European or Chinese companies will be allowed to 'invest' in Africa as you wish. We ourselves can be innovative. Good luck to the West. Sorry mate, you are trying to justify the atrocities of the trans-Atlantic slavery. You are very very very ignorant. You cant seem to even phantom the idea why reparations would be asked from the actual coloniser, imperialists and slave owners the British towards the Caribbean. That is very worrying. You cant even understand why people would think like this, not that you have to agree, but you cant even understand why this a reasonable suggestion....Are you a racist by any chance? How do you feel about immigrants? What is your reaction to all of these racist murders by police in America? How would you feel if a female family member married a black man? Answer honestly
Original post by zgb1
Of course there are some cases of slavery in Europe today but in all fairness it tackled and banned for more than a century now. Africa on other hand has still some places that allows slavery like Madagascar.

You should also stop having this victims complex and thank to the UK that it allowed many Africans to come into its country. They could as well be bad enough and not allow them into, but they did not as they were kind people.

My ancestors did not profite from slavery since they are not from Western Europe. In fact it is more possble they were slaves, and following your logic I should hate Northern Africa and Turkey because of that.

Who said I hate Western Europe. LMAO criticising and talking about what happened doesn't mean I hate the people of today. Talking about the fact that reparations should maybe be given doesn't = to hate. Your logic is LOL. Stop being so dramatic bruh. Also I knew it! Your flag looks Croatian? But you're riding out for Western Europe so extensively Hmm LOL. Have fun with that. You are wrong again Sir. Europe is actually still struggling with slavery. It is undercover but still a huge problem. Human and sex trafficking. In Western and Eastern Europe. It isn't tackled well....... The UK isn't as perfect as you want to believe.

TBF actually in Eastern Europe NOT all of course but MANY absolutely despise and HATE Arabs/Muslims. Many of you haven't gotten over what happened....You cant try tell me that. Obviously not you, but I know Eastern Europeans/Balkans that despise Western Europe too.

LOL actually just saw your bold comment. Don't even bother to reply to me please. That is really the worst statement you've said out of your whole lot. The WEST should stop allowing Eastern Europeans into the UK too then! Even when some British people are racist AF to you and the history that occurred, you should be grateful and worship them because they give you low paid jobs! How can you even say that as a descendant of immigrants wowwwwww. The UK cant even stop anyone from coming here after they INVADED the whole world (and ruined peoples homes). What kind of superioty complex is that................Bye tho. You are really different.
Original post by codegirl
Yes, a lot of people say blacks 'sold their own' into slavery, but this is not true. various black kingdoms and tribes were at war with each other, just like Europeans were at war with other Europeans.

The Africans that sold other blacks sold into slavery weren't selling their own, they were selling their enemies.

THIS!
Reply 233
OH You're one of those 'ALL LIVES MATTER'......BUT when its black lives you're silent and are making excuses hmmm BRIGADE. LMAO.

Actually no, of course I would speak out against any violence. To me all live matters, but I am blind on race and color so for me all live matters regardless of sex, religion, race and etc.

Also you know nothing. ALLOW OIL EPXLIATAION? you really are amazing. You can try justify anything right. Stop exploiting us simple as that. How are you victim blaming...Their are corrupt politicians across the world. Most Politicians are corrupt and selfish. EVERYWHERE. How can you try justify oil exploitation by saying corrupt politicians allow it like that even makes sense. wowwwww. Like they even represent the people.

But the Afrians vote for their politicians just like the British their and like the Brits the Africans are responisble for the action of their government. Use Souh Africa for example. The ANC is a deep and corrupt party that is plundering its peopleyet the South Africans still vote for them. Because of that the South Africans deserve nothing better.

The same goes for oil. It was the African politicians who did not protect the interested of their country. If the foreign oil company refused to exploit oil from Nigeria than the Nigerians would complaining how poor they are and how ebul foreigner do not want to invest into their country.

Let me teach you a bit of small history. The reason why some African politicians are corrupt is due to how the history of many of the countries began. For example Nigeria, was created by the British. Initially had a military leadership until it became democratic. Random tribes were put together to make one country simply because they were next to each other. Before this there were only tribes. Now when these countries were created and leaders were put in place, this caused friction between the tribes. People would only look out for people in their tribes but not care for the others. Seeming as not long ago, these other tribes meant nothing to them. Corrupt politicians would invest money towards their tribes people while others suffered. This is why till this day there is still tension between the North and South of the country. Conflicting cultures. Nowadays things are slowly changing.The scars of tribalism are slowly fading.

Actually the truth is the politicians are corrupt is because they care more about their own pockets than about their own people. They are using populism in form of tribal interests to distract the attention from the real problem.

Speaking about Nigeria I agree it should be divided into the southern and norther part since they have nothing in common with each other. It would be the best interest of all but the Northern muslim tribes would lose money coming from oil revenue ooil. The oild of Nigeria is from the South. Biafra tried to secede and we all know how it ended. The North started to invading Biafra

Sorry mate, you are trying to justify the atrocities of the trans-Atlantic slavery. You are very very very ignorant. You cant seem to even phantom the idea why reparations would be asked from the actual coloniser, imperialists and slave owners the British towards the Caribbean. That is very worrying

I do not justify Atlantic slave trade. I condemt it just like every form of slavery as it is deeply immoral. But I also condem African, Arab and Muslim slavetrade since they were also bad as well. You seem to be focused only on the Antlantic slave trade but you are hypocritical enough to not condem all slave trade.

"Are you a racist by any chance?"No.

"How do you feel about immigrants?"I am neutral toward them. Though if immigrant refuse to adapt to the native culture and do not respect their host country then they are bad.

"What is your reaction to all of these racist murders by police in America?"It is sensationalism at best.

The issue is here not about racism but it is the question of to much authority given to the police. I do not believe it is a racial issue becaue more whites are killed by the police according to statistics. The media are just exploiting this white-on-black cases for making profit

"How would you feel if a female family member married a black man?"I would not like it honestly and probably would not approve. But I personally would have no issue marring a black girl if she is hot.
Original post by TomMatt
What about Hong Kong? We essential rented it and then gave it back better than it was?

Hong Kong was only in a better position once the communists took over

China was screwed over hard.

Went from the eternal world super power to a joke.

However it's on the road to recovery

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 235
Who said I hate Western Europe. LMAO criticising and talking about what happened doesn't mean I hate the people of today. Talking about the fact that reparations should maybe be given doesn't = to hate. Your logic is LOL.

But according to your own logic critising African slave trade is very racist and downplaying the Atlantic slave trade. You are not very consistential.

Also I knew it! Your flag looks Croatian? But you're riding out for Western Europe so extensively Hmm LOL
Riding out of Western Europe? What?

I am actually from areas that is occupied by Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Europe is actually still struggling with slavery. It is undercover but still a huge problem. Human and sex trafficking. In Western and Eastern Europe. It isn't tackled well....... The UK isn't as perfect as you want to believe.
Well, I know. I never denied it. I am just saying Europe is tackling it compared to Africa where in many places it is still legal to own slaves.

Also, the last major incident is coming from Rotherham and we all know who were owning slaves and it were not the Brits.

TBF actually in Eastern Europe NOT all of course but MANY absolutely despise and HATE Arabs/Muslims. Many of you haven't gotten over what happened....You cant try tell me that. Obviously not you, but I know Eastern Europeans/Balkans that despise Western Europe too.
Well it is not hate. Eastern European are very aware that the Arabs/Muslims are not quite the best type of immigrants a country can receive. Allso, they are not fond of this multi-culti crap. It does not concernes us. The duty of immigrants is to adjust to the natives and not vice versa.

Well, there is some sentinment against Western Europe but for other reasons than you think (the issue are historical and whch is difficult for you to understand).That does not mean I would not defend my Western brothers if I see they are right.

"The WEST should stop allowing Eastern Europeans into the UK too then! Even when some British people are racist AF to you and the history that occurred, you should be grateful and worship them because they give you low paid jobs!"
If Brits would coming to Croatia and stealing jobs from Croats than Croats would also react as the same way. The same way would Africans react if Brits would come there and stealing their jobs, the Africans would reacting as well. The Africans would probably react racist more than the mentioned groups, they would screaming about COLONIALISUM and how the whites and Chinese are taking their jobs again.

"How can you even say that as a descendant of immigrants wowwwwww. The UK cant even stop anyone from coming here after they INVADED the whole world (and ruined peoples homes). What kind of superioty complex is that................Bye tho. You are really different."It is because I value the interest of the whole nation more than the particular selfish etnic interests of some immigrants. Because if immigrants issue is affected than they are the only one who are losing but if the whole nation is affected than the immigrants as well the whole populationof the country is losing. Capische?

And of course I rather indetify with the native Anglo-Saxon population rather than with the refugee seekers. I would rather sacrifice my spare time working free for the Royal family while singing Rule Britannia at the same time tha giving a damn penny for som stone age muslim in Luton.

it is because the former made possible for people to advance in life while the latter I have nothing in common with them.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 236
Original post by codegirl

The Africans that sold other blacks into slavery weren't selling their own, they were selling their enemies.

That is not different than what the Europeans did. many Africans were at war with the Europeans and got defeated. In both case it was bad and it is apsolutely the same.
Original post by TomMatt

Hong Kong had billions poured into it in infrastructure and development as both A) a shipping hub and B) a finance and trade hub, albeit mostly for the opium trade at first.

If our other colonies were treated anywhere near as well as Hong Kong was instead of a place to develop cash crops and mine resources, they would be far, far better off, but we didn't. We put in only what was necessary to maximise profits for us.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
How were they before?

Can everyone just stop asking for our money please? The amount of money we're already giving to india is absurd.

The thing is this money isn't even for the poor.

It's not aid.

It's probably a glorified bribe for some favours

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fandom-queen
I agree with you, wholeheartedly. As a girl who has been to Calcutta, you have no idea how much the British have contributed. Railways, judiciary system, parliamentary buildings to name a few. Despite this, I am, by no means, sucking up to the British. All I'm saying is that except returning a few of the artefacts, especially the Kohinoor, Britain doesn't really owe anyone a pound of flesh, because if it does then so does Portugal, France, Dutch East India Company etc.

Edit: Just found out the Kohinoor issue was raised up in a parliamentary session, ohh yeahh!!

Those improvements were made solely to maximise profits, not exactly to benefit the native population. The only reason they were built in the first place was because they were making far more money from India growing cash crops, mining, and running racketeering scams against local rulers, that they were a drop in the bucket compared to what the railways and buildings cost.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending