The Student Room Group

Friend owes me money & avoiding me

This is a tricky one. I basically went away with a friend in the summer and she owes me money from it. It’s about £150 which may seem small to some people, but I’m currently saving to move out, so every penny counts. Anyway, she also doesn’t seem to want to see me either. It’s been 3 weeks of me initiating message of trying to meet up and her saying she’s busy seeing other people (which is absolutely okay) and going through a hard time.

So this makes me feel even more guilty to ask for the money and I’m not in the wrong, but I feel like I’ve done something wrong and made to feel bad for asking. I’ve asked her now 5 times for it, and every time she says she’ll sort it out or come back to me on it. I don’t know what to do? It would be good to get people’s thoughts.
Reply 1
There is a pretty high chance you won't get your money back...
Reply 2
Original post by black tea
There is a pretty high chance you won't get your money back...

Yeah it’s a lesson learned, that’s for sure 😭
Reply 3
Never lend money without accepting a reasonable risk you wont get it back. People who borrow money from their friends are often struggling with some aspect of their finances, which means they can be very unreliable. Either leave the ball in her court and see what happens, and never lend to her again - or meet up and lay it on the line that it has to be paid back even if necessary by instalments. Personally I would do the former and hope that your good nature leads to repayment in some other way
Reply 4
Original post by Zarek
Never lend money without accepting a reasonable risk you wont get it back. People who borrow money from their friends are often struggling with some aspect of their finances, which means they can be very unreliable. Either leave the ball in her court and see what happens, and never lend to her again - or meet up and lay it on the line that it has to be paid back even if necessary by instalments. Personally I would do the former and hope that your good nature leads to repayment in some other way

It wasn’t necessarily borrowing. We split the cost on a lot of things but I ended up paying the large hotel bill at the end and another big expense, because she didn’t have enough money loaded onto her card - in hindsight I should of asked if we could split it or do it another way.
I think unfortunately that money doesn’t mean much to her, whereas for me it does, so there’s no urgency to repay it. I’ve made a mental note about it for sure, and not to do anything like that with them again. I have sent them a gentle reminder again today, so I’ll just have to see her response. However I can predict she will either ignore it or say she’s so busy and will take a look at it (but then she never does). Just feel like I needed to rant about it, as it’s putting me in a bad mood.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending