The Student Room Group

Edexcel Paper 3: The witch craze in Britain, Europe and North America, c1580-c1750

Hi guys, is anyone else studying this specification option? I have searched through every single forum but I don't think anyone else is sitting this exam... Please let me know if you are because I am struggling with how to structure my revision. Thanks! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Danny Dorito so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Hi I'm also studying this option
I've found it really beneficial to split it up into breadth and depth and work from there. It's lucky that edexcel do this (for me I think lol) as it gives me a clear indication what to put in each essay and how to revise by splitting it up.

In the breadth section, there are the same factors they well ask you but with different topics in. For example they could ask you this witch craze question, "How far do you agree that the publication of Scot's The Discoverie of Witchcraft (1584) was the key turning point in belief in the power of witchcraft in the years 1580-1750?". The factors I would put would be, Scot and his impact, other skeptical writes, Fraudulent cases and Judicial scepticism. These would work if any other question to do with the end of belief were asked, and getting into the habit of having pre-formed ideas definitely helps. Learning lots of dates would also be recommended, as the science and reason is all about what happened when. I wouldn't say it necessary to learn every single thing on science developments, but as long as theres a basic understanding of how it impacted witches and belief in rational thinking that's the main thing.The science that is most important would be the Royal Society, the changing approach of scientists and the coming of age and reason. Its a pain learning all the Kepler/Ptolemy stuff but i think its in there so you can show off how you know and how you can see how approaches changed.

In terms of the depth cases, of Berwick, Pendle, Bamberg, East Anglia and Salem, the clearest thing to do is find factors on what caused it, what led it to be widespread, and why is ended/the impact it had. They ask the same style just switch around the factor so making sure you're aware of social background, economic & political backdrops, as well as more case specific details (such as James trip to Denmark for Berwick) which will help. As there is a choice of two questions for the depth and only 5 cases, our teacher told us if we were struggling to study or understand one of them, it wasn't the end of the world as it might not come up. Of course its good to be prepared, but if you are really hard pressed on one of the depth studies and you think its a waste of time (Bamberg for me is really hard) then as long as you are prepared for the other four it shouldn't matter too much.

The source question should hopefully tie in with the other sections. In our mock, it was a extract from the court account of Pendle, which definitely helped as we had our own knowledge and approached it normally. There is only one source so as long as you evaluate it against own knowledge and perhaps die in breadth with depth to show you have a wide and clear knowledge, you should be good. Looking through the textbook, a lot of the sources have similar questions, such as popular beliefs, revealing the role of _____ (such as children for Salem or torture for Bamberg), so the own knowledge of general witch craze is probably the key thing here.

I now witch craze is probably my favourite out of all the history papers, and i definitely find it the most interesting. If you have any more questions just ask and good Luck!!
Reply 3
Original post by rh1999
Hi I'm also studying this option
I've found it really beneficial to split it up into breadth and depth and work from there. It's lucky that edexcel do this (for me I think lol) as it gives me a clear indication what to put in each essay and how to revise by splitting it up.

In the breadth section, there are the same factors they well ask you but with different topics in. For example they could ask you this witch craze question, "How far do you agree that the publication of Scot's The Discoverie of Witchcraft (1584) was the key turning point in belief in the power of witchcraft in the years 1580-1750?". The factors I would put would be, Scot and his impact, other skeptical writes, Fraudulent cases and Judicial scepticism. These would work if any other question to do with the end of belief were asked, and getting into the habit of having pre-formed ideas definitely helps. Learning lots of dates would also be recommended, as the science and reason is all about what happened when. I wouldn't say it necessary to learn every single thing on science developments, but as long as theres a basic understanding of how it impacted witches and belief in rational thinking that's the main thing.The science that is most important would be the Royal Society, the changing approach of scientists and the coming of age and reason. Its a pain learning all the Kepler/Ptolemy stuff but i think its in there so you can show off how you know and how you can see how approaches changed.

In terms of the depth cases, of Berwick, Pendle, Bamberg, East Anglia and Salem, the clearest thing to do is find factors on what caused it, what led it to be widespread, and why is ended/the impact it had. They ask the same style just switch around the factor so making sure you're aware of social background, economic & political backdrops, as well as more case specific details (such as James trip to Denmark for Berwick) which will help. As there is a choice of two questions for the depth and only 5 cases, our teacher told us if we were struggling to study or understand one of them, it wasn't the end of the world as it might not come up. Of course its good to be prepared, but if you are really hard pressed on one of the depth studies and you think its a waste of time (Bamberg for me is really hard) then as long as you are prepared for the other four it shouldn't matter too much.

The source question should hopefully tie in with the other sections. In our mock, it was a extract from the court account of Pendle, which definitely helped as we had our own knowledge and approached it normally. There is only one source so as long as you evaluate it against own knowledge and perhaps die in breadth with depth to show you have a wide and clear knowledge, you should be good. Looking through the textbook, a lot of the sources have similar questions, such as popular beliefs, revealing the role of _____ (such as children for Salem or torture for Bamberg), so the own knowledge of general witch craze is probably the key thing here.

I now witch craze is probably my favourite out of all the history papers, and i definitely find it the most interesting. If you have any more questions just ask and good Luck!!

Honestly thankyou so much for that! That is majorly helpful. I'm going to revise like that and get back to you :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by esmenich
Honestly thankyou so much for that! That is majorly helpful. I'm going to revise like that and get back to you :smile:

no probs :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by rh1999
no probs :smile:

Hey! Do you have any notes that you'd be willing to share?
Reply 6
Hey! Do you have any notes that you'd be willing to share?

I have a document which I find really useful - its collated notes from my teacher on the context on each of the cases, which you can use for political/social/economical etc factors and is background knowledge for the 5 cases which I'll pm :smile:
Does anyone have any revision notes they could share, would be a great help!
How is everyone structuring their answer for section A?
Reply 9
Hi guys, is anyone else studying this specification option? I have searched through every single forum but I don't think anyone else is sitting this exam... Please let me know if you are because I am struggling with how to structure my revision. Thanks! :smile:

i am doing the paper 3 british experience of warfare 1700-1917

also same here there isn't much stuff out there
Does anyone have essay structure notes for this paper
Could someone explain to me the Massachusetts bay colony??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Charleyb_x
Could someone explain to me the Massachusetts bay colony??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey! The Massachusetts Bay Colony was simply the name of the Puritan colony formed shortly after the colony of Catholics and High Church followers was formed in virginia. It's a bit of a vague topic and you won't need to know it in detail. It just helps with a bit of background in regards to Salem because it helps you understand the divide and how close knit the Puritans were especially within this colony. The only time I could ever imagine this cropping up in a question is if they were to ask why the Salem witch hunt were so widespread or why they started in the first place. Because you could mention that because the Massachusetts Bay Colony was formed in whenever it was formed, it meant that suspicions were heightened and there was a lot more capacity for ideas and fear to spread throughout the community who were already instilled with the idea that the devil is present. If that makes sense?
Thank you so much!!! That's so helpful!

Posted from TSR Mobile
How much knowledge do we really need to know about the scientific and social ideas regarding the witchcraze? Does anyone have any notes on it, I don't know how to break it down
Reply 15
Original post by chloe_nicole_
How much knowledge do we really need to know about the scientific and social ideas regarding the witchcraze? Does anyone have any notes on it, I don't know how to break it down

this is the last section on the paper and as there's a choice of two. i think its almost certain the two questions will be on both breadth bits - one with decline in belief with the science stuff and the other with changing attitudes - this is the sceptical cases, publications etc. You could take a chance and break it down like this, and just make an essay plan for what was the most important factor - by doing this you'll have opinions already formulated and should be easier to 'jump in' to the essays tomorrow.
good luck for the exam and the rest of today, i'm just tryna cram it all as I was focused on the other exams so kinda know how you feel haha
Original post by rh1999
this is the last section on the paper and as there's a choice of two. i think its almost certain the two questions will be on both breadth bits - one with decline in belief with the science stuff and the other with changing attitudes - this is the sceptical cases, publications etc. You could take a chance and break it down like this, and just make an essay plan for what was the most important factor - by doing this you'll have opinions already formulated and should be easier to 'jump in' to the essays tomorrow.
good luck for the exam and the rest of today, i'm just tryna cram it all as I was focused on the other exams so kinda know how you feel haha

Haha good luck with that and thanks just need to try and find all my notes on the science parts because the text books have hardly anything about it in them
Just in case anyone needs it for tomorrow's exams here is a mind map about the changing attitudes to witchcraft including the fraudulent cases, books and Sir John Holt in a lot of detail
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/diagrams/changing-attitudes-to-witchcraft-in-britain
I got Edmund Robinson and the Boy of Burton mixed up in the exam today...ffs
Reply 19
how did everyone find it? I thought it went well but mainly bc I'd gone over and over Berwick & Pendle lol - the questions were nice and straightforward tho with a good source.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending