Nottingham Trent
Oxford Brookes
Manchester
Sussex
Royal holloway
Brunel

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If I were an employer and got applications from people in those universities I would be like..... "Is there anyone else?.... please..??? o_o"

Manchester is good though.
Original post by iAmanze
If I were an employer and got applications from people in those universities I would be like..... "Is there anyone else?.... please..??? o_o"

I lol'd

Original post by kishothangathura
Manchester met
Aston
Portsmouth
Bournemouth
Bradford
Kent
Reading
Coventry
Queenmary
Keele
Liverpool
Nottingham Trent
Oxford Brookes
Manchester
Sussex
Royal holloway
Brunel

Manchester is the best by far, then Liverpool. Queen Mary depending on who you speak to.

Royal Holloway and Reading are both decent as well.

It really depends what type of employers you are aiming for, the majority don't care too much about prestige as long as you hit the 2:1 and UCAS point requirements (which is a uni sifter in itself).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iAmanze

This is for a marketing course, so they're not exactly terrible

No offence, but you're not helping your case here...
Reply 5
Original post by iAmanze

I'm curios. What were your a levels and what university are you at?

overall like prince said
Manchester royal Holloway liverpool keele and queen Mary deffo good unis
oxford Brookes and coventry not that bad either.

few years down the line employers won't care about uni or even whether you got a 2.2. Choose the best one for marketing is what I would say
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Furios
I'm curios. What were your a levels and what university are you at?

overall like prince said
Manchester royal Holloway liverpool keele and queen Mary deffo good unis
oxford Brookes and coventry not that bad either.

few years down the line employers won't care about uni or even whether you got a 2.2. Choose the best one for marketing is what I would say

According to the The Complete University Guide

Aston, royal holloway, reading , Liverpool, Manchester , Kent, Keele, and Oxford Brookes are ranked in between 6 to 15. And that's in order
Reply 7

Aston, royal holloway, reading , Liverpool, Manchester , Kent, Keele, and Oxford Brookes are ranked in between 6 to 15. And that's in order

narrow it down from there. See how keele and Brookes are there. They are good unis. Sometimes tsr really amuses. Me.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Furios
narrow it down from there. See how keele and Brookes are there. They are good unis. Sometimes tsr really amuses. Me.

Why does it amuse you :3
And I'm going for Manchester, Reading, Kent, Keele and unsure about the other one
Employers dont care where you did your marketing degree, they are going to ask for relevant work experience and that is what is going to get you a job. TSR is full of elitist 18 year old *****, don't listen to their 'LOL u dont go to oxford u will never get a job lol im smarter than u' BS
Reply 10
Why does it amuse you :3
And I'm going for Manchester, Reading, Kent, Keele and unsure about the other one

it amuses me because people like the first poster think they know soo much when they have never even held a real job.

Original post by driftawaay
Employers dont care where you did your marketing degree, they are going to ask for relevant work experience and that is what is going to get you a job. TSR is full of elitist 18 year old *****, don't listen to their 'LOL u dont go to oxford u will never get a job lol im smarter than u' BS

second poster was right. You know what they say about snobs. There is a lot of rational thinking that is thrown out the window by some.
(edited 8 years ago)

Basically this lol unless you're going into a very specific field such as IB or law

That made me laugh LOL, I guess you're right as well
Original post by iAmanze

Manchester AND QM, surely? They're both Russel Group, aren't they?
Original post by iAmanze

LOOOL

lmao the guys on here are literally guessing which unis are good etc. for management - Bradford, Manchester n Aston are good (According to Financial times).
Manchester met
Aston
Portsmouth
Bournemouth
Bradford
Kent
Reading
Coventry
Queenmary
Keele
Liverpool
Nottingham Trent
Oxford Brookes
Manchester
Sussex
Royal holloway
Brunel

From the universities you posted I would rank them accordingly:

Tier 1: Liverpool, Manchester and Queen Mary.
Tier 2: Reading, Royal Holloway and Sussex.
Tier 3: Aston, Bradford, Brunel, Keele and Kent.
Tier 4: Bournemouth, Coventry, Manchester Met, Nottingham Trent, Portsmouth and Oxford Brookes.

Explanation: Tier 1 group universities are Russell Group (RG) members, Tier 2: Are universities which used to belong to the 1994 Group which eventually dissolved in 2013. Tier 3: We find other traditional universities (i.e pre 1992 universities) which do not belong to the RG or the former 1994 group. Tier 4: Are universities which gained university status post 1992 and are ex-polys or ex-colleges.

Generally speaking most employers will shun ex-polys or so called post 1992 universities so try to keep away from them. It does not matter how far up they may rank is some league tables, 23 years after they have been awarded university status they still carry the ex-poly label.
(edited 8 years ago)
This is the order I would put them in

Manchester
Liverpool
Reading / Royal Holloway / Kent
Aston
Queen Mary
Sussex
Oxford Brookes
Portsmouth
Bournemouth
Coventry
Brunel / Bradford / Keele / Manchester Met / Nottingham Trent

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ppapanastasiou
From the universities you posted I would rank them accordingly:

Tier 1: Liverpool, Manchester and Queen Mary.
Tier 2: Reading, Royal Holloway and Sussex.
Tier 3: Aston, Bradford, Brunel, Keele and Kent.
Tier 4: Bournemouth, Coventry, Manchester Met, Nottingham Trent, Portsmouth and Oxford Brookes.

Explanation: Tier 1 group universities are Russell Group (RG) members, Tier 2: Are universities which used to belong to the 1994 Group which eventually dissolved in 2013. Tier 3: We find other traditional universities (i.e pre 1992 universities) which do not belong to the RG or the former 1994 group. Tier 4: Are universities which gained university status post 1992 and are ex-polys or ex-colleges.

Generally speaking most employers will shun ex-polys or so called post 1992 universities so try to keep away from them. It does not matter how far up they may rank is some league tables, 23 years after they have been awarded university status they still carry the ex-poly label.

Ranking universities simply according to whether they are members of the Russell Group or used to be in the 1994 Group etc is ridiculously simplistic. The Russell Group does NOT contain all good universities; Bath, Lancaster and St Andrews are at least the equal of several members of the RG.

Also, please don't spread inaccurate information such as 'most employers will shun ex-polys or so called post 1992 universities' because it is simply untrue. Much depends on the subject taken - and marketing has a long tradition at many of the institutions which you disparage - the degree class obtained, and the overall experience and personality of the applicant. I speak from experience here, having recruited people as part of my profession.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ageshallnot
Ranking universities simply according to whether they are members of the Russell Group or used to be in the 1994 Group etc is ridiculously simplistic.

Also speaking as someone with a lot of experience in recruiting over a long period of time, I agree. A lot of rubbish has been spouted in this thread, as is usual among students discussing university rankings.

British employers can be grouped as follows:

Those that pay scrupulous attention to the university (including, for example some financial institutions and law firms). This is a relatively small group, but some of these recruit from a very small group of universities indeed. Candidates will generally be aware of these employers before they apply.

Those that advertise for candidates from Russell Group universities but don't actually know what that means (like the majority of students, in fact) and do not normally filter out those that do not comply. This is a large group. Few people seem to realise that the Russell Group is self-selecting, has grown by over a third since it was formed, and is nothing to do with quality.

Those that pay pretty well no attention whatever to your university, such as the medical profession.

The rest, most of which will have their own completely unpredictable idea of what constitutes a good tertiary education.

The final recruiting decision in nearly all instances is going to be about whether the recruiter thinks you are the best candidate for the job, regardless of your education, and a lot of factors will be taken into account - and the name of the university is likely to be low on that list in most cases.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending