The Student Room Group

What uni for chemistry

I'm torn between the university of bath, Southampton or Manchester I've been to all 3 and I cannot decide what ones I like more. Any pointers in terms of graduate prospects, earnings and reputation for chemistry?
Original post by Tom.s1
I'm torn between the university of bath, Southampton or Manchester I've been to all 3 and I cannot decide what ones I like more. Any pointers in terms of graduate prospects, earnings and reputation for chemistry?

Firm: Manchester
Insure: Southampton
Reply 2
Original post by Wired_1800
Firm: Manchester
Insure: Southampton

What's making you leave out bath? As recent rankings show bath and Southampton higher than Manchester for chemistry or do the rankings not really matter in the real world
Original post by Tom.s1
What's making you leave out bath? As recent rankings show bath and Southampton higher than Manchester for chemistry or do the rankings not really matter in the real world

Rankings and league tables are rather unreliable as the criteria used to judge them is very subjective. Whilst I’m not entirely sure what basis Wired_1800 has for recommending Manchester as the firm, I imagine there is something more objective such as the rate of graduate employment they have taken into consideration.

All three unis are good choices, but I imagine what you ought to do is look at the course structures at each and decide that way if you are truly stuck.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by Tom.s1

I used overall prestige, social life and academic quality. You wont go wrong at Bath or Southampton, but I would pick Manchester over both any day.
Reply 5
bath has the best employability and is much more of a target for things in finance which makes it a better choice if you want to use your chemistry degree for something other than chemistry. Bath is also very good for Pharmaceutical chemistry and patrolium which are the 2 fields that will get you the most money in research. `Manchester has great post grad opportunities e.g. PhD places and will most likely make it easier to get you onto a phd course there. Can't speak much for Southampton though
Original post by Tom.s1
Honestly long term outcomes for the three are probably very similar if not functionally identical. They're also all well known chemistry departments considered academically strong.

Honestly I would focus on practical things- differences between the cities, costs in each place, transport options, location matters otherwise, non-academic facilities offered, clubs and societies etc, stuff like that. Its really going g to come down to the "soft" factors here I think.
Reply 7
Perfect thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending