The Student Room Group

UNSW VS The University Of Birmingham (Mechanical Engineering)

Hey guys, I'm currently looking into these two universities to complete my undergrad studies. Right now, UNSW is ranked 19th overall in general rankings and 49th for mechanical engineering, while on the other hand, the University of Birmingham is ranked 84th and 104th for Mechanical Engineering according to the QS rankings.
Due to me following my school's transfer program plan, I'll be transferring to either one of those universities in my third year of study and will graduate with an Honours degree if I choose to go for UNSW or a Master's degree from the University of Birmingham (Still kind of unsure about the difference between the two as I heard they are equivalent because they both take 4 years to complete? ).
By my estimations, the difference in overall funds needed for the two years of my study in those two universities amounts to 32000 USD and I'm thinking hard if UNSW is worth the extra cash. Also if I go to UNSW I'll be going there alone in my third year which is another major turn-off for me as I fear it might be quite isolating.

Hope to hear your opinions soon and thank you in advance.
Original post by bruhshun
Hey guys, I'm currently looking into these two universities to complete my undergrad studies. Right now, UNSW is ranked 19th overall in general rankings and 49th for mechanical engineering, while on the other hand, the University of Birmingham is ranked 84th and 104th for Mechanical Engineering according to the QS rankings.
Due to me following my school's transfer program plan, I'll be transferring to either one of those universities in my third year of study and will graduate with an Honours degree if I choose to go for UNSW or a Master's degree from the University of Birmingham (Still kind of unsure about the difference between the two as I heard they are equivalent because they both take 4 years to complete? ).
By my estimations, the difference in overall funds needed for the two years of my study in those two universities amounts to 32000 USD and I'm thinking hard if UNSW is worth the extra cash. Also if I go to UNSW I'll be going there alone in my third year which is another major turn-off for me as I fear it might be quite isolating.

What is UNSW, and where are you planning on working after graduation?

although I’ll make clear I am no expert in your subject area (mechanical engineering )
I do know that Birmingham is highly respected and if you gain a Masters there,
assume this would count for UK job applications and placements, at least.

Is there any advantage to your studying in Australia over the UK?
Reply 3
Original post by Smack
What is UNSW, and where are you planning on working after graduation?

University of New South Wales in Sydney Australia. As for where am I planning to work after graduation, I'm fine working anywhere that offers decent pay whether it be in Australia or the UK.
Reply 4
To MedMama
From what I've read online UNSW is a great school for Engineering which boasts a pretty high score for employer reputation and employer outcomes according to the 2024 QS ranking. As a reference, UNSW scored 88.1 for employer reputation, 95.5 on employment outcomes while on the other hand, the University of Birmingham scored 75.5 and 29.5 in each respective category. I'm not sure if these stats are accurate or if it only applies to domestic students but it seems like the chances of me landing a mechanical engineering job in the UK is far less compared to Australia?

Furthermore, other than the difference in ranking between the two institutions, I heard that Birmingham is kind of grim and I think that Sydney would be a better place to live in but with a huge problem - the cost.

(Was hit with the Oops! something went wrong error apparently i can't directly reply to posts now )
(edited 3 months ago)
University of New South Wales in Sydney Australia. As for where am I planning to work after graduation, I'm fine working anywhere that offers decent pay whether it be in Australia or the UK.

Australia typically offers better pay than the UK. Do you have, or will you be easily able to obtain, the required visas for working in either the UK or Australia?
Reply 6
Original post by Smack
Australia typically offers better pay than the UK. Do you have, or will you be easily able to obtain, the required visas for working in either the UK or Australia?

Nope i don't have any working visas for the UK or Australia and as for the ease of getting one I'm still kind of in the dark about it.
(edited 3 months ago)
Nope i don't have any working visas for the UK or Australia and as for the ease of getting one I'm still kind of in the dark about it.

I'd advise looking into how to secure a visa for work after graduation before being set on working in a particular country. I don't know the ins and outs but I understand it's not easy to get one for the UK.

No idea on how reputable UNSW although I have heard of it (and I have very little knowledge of Australian universities)m so id say based on that it’s probably a pretty decent overall university but I can’t comment on just how strong it is, Birmingham in the UK is very reputable, UK engineering employers would have no qualms with it.

My understanding is Australia engineers generally earn slightly more then in the UK although where jobs are in Australia cost of living is also higher (so it probably all averages out). Id probably focus on what industry you want to work in & which country has better opportunities in it (as well as where you are more likely to qualify for a visa).

Quick Reply

Latest