The Student Room Group

Unit 7 Business decision making exam January 2023

Hi, does anyone have any guide on tackling this exam or any guide for a Merit or a Distinction that can help me and others in this situation?
Find the main aims on early pages of task information. I’m thinking of refurbishing a restaurant or creating a mobile street food stall.

Make sure you know how to Calculate Gross Profit from given revenue and % of cost of sales. Calculate Net profit by taking away given salaries / expenses / fixed cost. Once you have these calculations work out Gross Profit Margin and Net profit Margin as we have practiced in class.

You may be able to consider point from your project planning that you completed for unit 4 last year. Consider amount of loans in comparison to start-up capital available. Consider the timeline here.

Risk and Alternatives

restaurant risk - limiting food options (Spanish). etc

Alternatives - theme nights (different styles of foods) or Just eat/ Uber-Eats / Deliveroo etc

Mobile risks weather, demand, repair/breakage, fuel costs, enough work for 5 days etc.

Thank me later pal
Hopefully you see this

Alternatives a set spot/contract with business to guarantee income i.e. outside football ground etc
Original post by sparktee21
Hi, does anyone have any guide on tackling this exam or any guide for a Merit or a Distinction that can help me and others in this situation?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by CHRISDOR
Find the main aims on early pages of task information. I’m thinking of refurbishing a restaurant or creating a mobile street food stall.

Make sure you know how to Calculate Gross Profit from given revenue and % of cost of sales. Calculate Net profit by taking away given salaries / expenses / fixed cost. Once you have these calculations work out Gross Profit Margin and Net profit Margin as we have practiced in class.

You may be able to consider point from your project planning that you completed for unit 4 last year. Consider amount of loans in comparison to start-up capital available. Consider the timeline here.

Risk and Alternatives

Alternatives - theme nights (different styles of foods) or Just eat/ Uber-Eats / Deliveroo etc

Mobile risks weather, demand, repair/breakage, fuel costs, enough work for 5 days etc.

Thank me later pal
Hopefully you see this

Alternatives a set spot/contract with business to guarantee income i.e. outside football ground etc

Thank you so much pal! also would you reckon what this exam would be about the theme?
Hi, is this going to be the topic for tomorrows exam? (I’m thinking of refurbishing a restaurant or creating a mobile street food stall.) Thanks
Reply 4
how did you all do?
Hi All

My last minute tips for tomorrows exam are as follows:

Risk and Alternatives

Thank me later pal

Thank you so much pal! also would you reckon what this exam would be about the theme?

Spanish food. Think i got a possible distinction
Original post by Haroon1919
Hi, is this going to be the topic for tomorrows exam? (I’m thinking of refurbishing a restaurant or creating a mobile street food stall.) Thanks

Yeah. I conducted some primary research to get the possible themes
Reply 7
Original post by aminaxb
how did you all do?

I think I messed up on some numbers. Idk if you know but will I get marked down if I get numbers wrong
Original post by aminaxb
how did you all do?

I believe I did really badly I ran out of time and didn't get to finish the PowerPoint, and also they gave us a lot of information that we didn't have time to analyze and put into context my resources were detailed but my swot wasn't and could you get merit at least if the PowerPoint wasn't completed but the report is alright?
Reply 9
Name Number
AF1 Information data selection and interpretation
Introduction self
background info ¾ sentences
justify why they need to consider different options
Open a driving school for new car drivers.
Open a driving school for lorry drivers
List data like trends relevant to option and say what it means and how they can make decisions based of it. Link it to the aims of the business
Af2 Implications for resources based of decisions made
Human resources People needed to run the business. Does the business already have staff, do they need more?
Financial resources State what the start-up costs will be and how much money they need to run the business and how they will get the money they need to run the business and how they will het the money. E.g. loan venture capitalist.
Physical resources Refer to tangible assets needed to run the business that could be the premises, stock, equipment
Time How long is needed for each option to complete.
Example - A human/ physical resource the quired for option A/B is… a risk for this is …. and alternative to this is …. Link to aims
AF3 Financial
Calculate revenue, Calculate breakeven profit
Ratio analysis Gross profit margin revenue cost of goods sold and net profit margin, Acid test and ROCE one sentence for eatch
Do this for both options At the end of each, state which option is more viable. Link to aims

Financial
Option 1
Gpm revenue cost of goods sold / revenue x 100=
66000 X 100 = 80%
The gross profit margin is 80%
Npm revenue costs x 100 =
24750 X 100 = 30%
The net profit margin is 30%. Which is higher then option 2 which makes this business more profitable.
Option 2
Gpm =
416500 X 100 = 85%
The gross profit margin is 85%. Which is higher then option 1.
Npm =
66640 X 100 = 13.6%
The net profit margin is 13.6%. Which is much lower then option 1.
The gross profit for Option 2 is 150500with a 70% gross profit margin. This means that for
every pound they make, they make 70p gross profit this is higher than option 1. However,
their cost of sales is more. Furthermore, their net profit is also higher than option 2.
However, the average spend per customer is less at £28. This tells us that option 2 is more
financially viable especially in the long run. However, they will have to sell their existing
business to cover the costs of starting the business. This will give them 45, 000 and help
them a lot. However, they will need to take out a 45, 000 loan to give them all the finances
they need. This is a good medium to long term source of finance that is efficient and
available to the company, A disadvantage to this will be the fact interest will be added onto
the payments and will amount up if not paid in time.

Roce net profit / capital employed
AF4 Key factors
PESTLE/SWOT/PORTERS
Risks and Alternatives
Legal- if the business doesn’t follow legislation, then they would face legal issues. Not only does this cost money to fight in court, but it would also damage its reputation. Option 1 would be easy for compliance, as it is a similar business model to other businesses. Option 2 would be harder due to the moving address and lack of clarity on employment terms for this. Legal advice should be sought to minimise risk.
Reputational- the business must ensure its quality is high to keep its customers. If they don’t handle reputational issues such as complaints well, then they would lose customers which will mean less profit, which they are aiming to increase. Option 1 would improve their reputation, however this would depend on them being able to gain back customers which could be difficult. Option 2 will see more customers, so the chance for reputation growth is better.
Financial- The business must ensure it keeps its expenses and liabilities as low as possible to have better liquidity and profitability. Option 2 is more of a financial risk as it includes a loan which is a liability. However, it has much better profit margins, which reduces the risk. Option 1 is also a financial risk as they would be paying for the £12,000 renovation upfront. This could cause cash flow issues.
Alternatives-
Take on a business partner with business experience so the owners can focus on food quality and experience. This would increase profit but decrease their share of the business. This would bring in expert knowledge

Conclusion Make a decision/ Justify a decision

Thank me later
Original post by CHRISDOR
Name Number
AF1 Information data selection and interpretation
Introduction self
background info ¾ sentences
justify why they need to consider different options
Open a driving school for new car drivers.
Open a driving school for lorry drivers
List data like trends relevant to option and say what it means and how they can make decisions based of it. Link it to the aims of the business
Af2 Implications for resources based of decisions made
Human resources People needed to run the business. Does the business already have staff, do they need more?
Financial resources State what the start-up costs will be and how much money they need to run the business and how they will get the money they need to run the business and how they will het the money. E.g. loan venture capitalist.
Physical resources Refer to tangible assets needed to run the business that could be the premises, stock, equipment
Time How long is needed for each option to complete.
Example - A human/ physical resource the quired for option A/B is… a risk for this is …. and alternative to this is …. Link to aims
AF3 Financial
Calculate revenue, Calculate breakeven profit
Ratio analysis Gross profit margin revenue cost of goods sold and net profit margin, Acid test and ROCE one sentence for eatch
Do this for both options At the end of each, state which option is more viable. Link to aims

Financial
Option 1
Gpm revenue cost of goods sold / revenue x 100=
66000 X 100 = 80%
The gross profit margin is 80%
Npm revenue costs x 100 =
24750 X 100 = 30%
The net profit margin is 30%. Which is higher then option 2 which makes this business more profitable.
Option 2
Gpm =
416500 X 100 = 85%
The gross profit margin is 85%. Which is higher then option 1.
Npm =
66640 X 100 = 13.6%
The net profit margin is 13.6%. Which is much lower then option 1.
The gross profit for Option 2 is 150500with a 70% gross profit margin. This means that for
every pound they make, they make 70p gross profit this is higher than option 1. However,
their cost of sales is more. Furthermore, their net profit is also higher than option 2.
However, the average spend per customer is less at £28. This tells us that option 2 is more
financially viable especially in the long run. However, they will have to sell their existing
business to cover the costs of starting the business. This will give them 45, 000 and help
them a lot. However, they will need to take out a 45, 000 loan to give them all the finances
they need. This is a good medium to long term source of finance that is efficient and
available to the company, A disadvantage to this will be the fact interest will be added onto
the payments and will amount up if not paid in time.

Roce net profit / capital employed
AF4 Key factors
PESTLE/SWOT/PORTERS
Risks and Alternatives
Legal- if the business doesn’t follow legislation, then they would face legal issues. Not only does this cost money to fight in court, but it would also damage its reputation. Option 1 would be easy for compliance, as it is a similar business model to other businesses. Option 2 would be harder due to the moving address and lack of clarity on employment terms for this. Legal advice should be sought to minimise risk.
Reputational- the business must ensure its quality is high to keep its customers. If they don’t handle reputational issues such as complaints well, then they would lose customers which will mean less profit, which they are aiming to increase. Option 1 would improve their reputation, however this would depend on them being able to gain back customers which could be difficult. Option 2 will see more customers, so the chance for reputation growth is better.
Financial- The business must ensure it keeps its expenses and liabilities as low as possible to have better liquidity and profitability. Option 2 is more of a financial risk as it includes a loan which is a liability. However, it has much better profit margins, which reduces the risk. Option 1 is also a financial risk as they would be paying for the £12,000 renovation upfront. This could cause cash flow issues.
Alternatives-
Take on a business partner with business experience so the owners can focus on food quality and experience. This would increase profit but decrease their share of the business. This would bring in expert knowledge

Conclusion Make a decision/ Justify a decision

Thank me later

how do you know the business and market???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending