The Student Room Group

What would you rather have? 500k or a 70k job of your choosing.

So you've got a choice,

£500k cash tax-free into your bank account

- or -

A job of your choosing in whichever company or organisation you want but your gross salary is 70k first year and capped to 100k for 3 years.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Id go for the money tbh.
500k for doing what? If it was something bearable I would do that. + depends on how much time I would have off :smile:
500k now, just because you get more on balance, and you can do more with a lump sum than with the same amount spread over a 3 year period.
Investments come to mind as to what I'd do with it.
Yeah money definitely. Apart from all the benefits of getting a lump sum today rather than a drip-feed over time, if I really wanted the £70k job that badly I could simply use the money to get the relevant qualifications and experience, or even set up a business which pretty much is me doing the job except I own it and therefore get control over all the money.
500k obviously - worst question asked on TSR ever!!
Original post by scrotgrot
Yeah money definitely. Apart from all the benefits of getting a lump sum today rather than a drip-feed over time, if I really wanted the £70k job that badly I could simply use the money to get the relevant qualifications and experience.

exactly!
Reply 7

whatever career i pick would be fun and i don't really care about money that much
What about getting an analyst job at a value investing mega fund?
70k job
In 8 years i will be earning more than the 500k tax free :tongue:
definitely £70k to have a happy job
I'm not going to accept a £500k job to be miserable for the rest of my life
money can mitigate misery but it doesn't prevent it
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Awesome Genius
What about getting an analyst job at a value investing mega fund?

No because you said the job is £70k, I assume forever
Original post by scrotgrot
No because you said the job is £70k, I assume forever

Nah in my original post I said capped at 70k first year, 100k third year. Then whatever you're worth :smile:
take the cash go travelling and invest some of it in a mutual fund i mean come on do most of you want to be trapped in an office for the rest of your life
Reply 15
Nah in my original post I said capped at 70k first year, 100k third year. Then whatever you're worth :smile:

That explains why you chose the money then...

Posted from TSR Mobile
70K and be a food critic :biggrin:

Dream job
Reply 17
I'd take the 500k and become self employed I'd be an architect and employ an architect checking everything I do is good to go.
Original post by *Stefan*
That explains why you chose the money then...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol Durhamitis
Reply 19
Lol Durhamitis

Still failing to find my choices despite it being so obvious. I guess you just proved my post :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest