The Student Room Group

forced to go to college

Hey guys, I'm currently doing my AS level waiting for results. Meantime in Malawi, my parents pressured me to apply to university using GCSE grades.I got selected to do a Bachelor of science in metallurgy and materials engineering(hons). The college is new and prominent, and everyone knows I got selected.
However I want to continue with A2 after getting good AS results, so that I apply to the USA or UK for scholarship in mechanical or aeronautical engineering, as my parents can't afford the fees abroad. Neither can they afford to pay for my full A2 course because my dads company stops paying my fees this December for personal reasons.
I have relatives and friends who were forced to do a course they never wanted and now their lives are miserable and unstable. Now I'm going to be in their shoes soon and EVERYONE is expecting me to enroll into the college because its new & apparently has good courses and teachers and equipments. But honestly I don't even know the course. I want to fulfil my dreams abroad which I worked hard for during all exam periods. Because at the end of the day it'll be my choice which could end up being a lifetime burden or joy.

The pressure is alot for me, please I need assistance to make the right choice, should I go to uni in december? Or find ways of finishing my full A-levels? Thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Original post by Peter_PJ
Hey guys, I'm currently doing my AS level waiting for results. Meantime in Malawi, my parents pressured me to apply to university using GCSE grades.I got selected to do a Bachelor of science in metallurgy and materials engineering(hons). The college is new and prominent, and everyone knows I got selected.
However I want to continue with A2 after getting good AS results, so that I apply to the USA or UK for scholarship in mechanical or aeronautical engineering, as my parents can't afford the fees abroad. Neither can they afford to pay for my full A2 course because my dads company stops paying my fees this December for personal reasons.
I have relatives and friends who were forced to do a course they never wanted and now their lives are miserable and unstable. Now I'm going to be in their shoes soon and EVERYONE is expecting me to enroll into the college because its new & apparently has good courses and teachers and equipments. But honestly I don't even know the course. I want to fulfil my dreams abroad which I worked hard for during all exam periods. Because at the end of the day it'll be my choice which could end up being a lifetime burden or joy.

The pressure is alot for me, please I need assistance to make the right choice, should I go to uni in december? Or find ways of finishing my full A-levels? Thanks

In my opinion I would say that you should do everything in you power to stay and finish a levels IF your AS exams have gone as well as you hope they have. If so then possibly see of you can get a job and possibly contact your school to see if there is anything they can do with helping with your living fees. In the long run I imagine it would be best to keep your options open with good A level results so you can go to a better university studying something you actually want to read because if you try and succeed in a course you don't even enjoy it will make life far more difficult and could possibly hinder your ability to get a good job in the future.

I would say it is definitely worth trying to make a good decision at this point in time and not doing something that you may regret for a long time but of course if circumstances do force you to go to that college then I would try and start looking to get placement jobs at firms or even internships so that you can get some work experience and possibly open up more avenues to do something you actually wanted.

Quick Reply

Latest