The Student Room Group

Self catering at cambridge

I really want to apply to cambridge this year but self catering is pretty important to me - not necessarily fully self catering but I really would like an oven. I was wondering if anyone could let me know which colleges are best for self catering/any that have ovens? Thanks!
Reply 1
hey I'm not entirely sure but i think downing college is known for the best accommodation including kitchen (ovens too?)
but you should defo come to the open day or ask the admissions/ separate college websites
I think YouTube videos from cam students might even help :smile:
Failing the above, you can always make friends with some ARU students and use their halls facilities :wink:

From what I've heard though the Cambridge kitchenettes tend to be more, hob/toaster/kettle than ovens and so on.

Your best bet is probably to check the accommodation options at each college carefully.
Original post by randomstudent230
I really want to apply to cambridge this year but self catering is pretty important to me - not necessarily fully self catering but I really would like an oven. I was wondering if anyone could let me know which colleges are best for self catering/any that have ovens? Thanks!

Selwyn has decent kitchens but I don't think there are full ovens - only in some of the houses for non-first years. But, I'd definitely recommend it as a college.
Reply 4
Original post by randomstudent230

From memory for first year (ovens):

Downing
Newnham
Fitzwilliam
Girton
Murray Edwards
Trinity (some not all)
Most "mature" (21+) colleges

A lot of colleges offer accom options with ovens in 2nd and 3rd year (the majority of colleges not mentioned yet fall under this)

The worst college for self catering is Caius who basically force students to pay for X meals per term up front.

A warning though: a lot of subjects are frankly going to overwhelm you in first year in terms of workload & it is well known that communal eating is quite important for getting to know people at your college. it is kind of by design that they discourage self catering for first years.
Fairly few colleges have ovens definitely look into this in detail on college websites.

Colleges where you live away from the main site (usually in second and/or third year) are probably more likely to have ovens in that accommodation, because they're obviously much less convenient for eating in the cafeteria/dining hall.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending