The Student Room Group

From Engineering to Finance

Hey guys,

So basically as the title says I study Engineering. I just finished my first year and thought it was about time to really start to build up a background in order to end up in Finance. Engineering being a completely different field from what I really want to do, I planned on not doing anything this summer except studying everything needed to start applying for internships next year (Which I regret now since apparently the younger you show your interest in Finance, the better it is). I've been following some free courses on the internet which are about learning financial accounting and some financial modeling. Which brings me to ask the forum what can I study/learn/do before going back to uni which would help me improve my profile for my future applications? And btw I don't have any experience on the field so I'm willing to try and give a shot to whatever you think would improve my application profile!
Original post by Snake113
Hey guys,

So basically as the title says I study Engineering. I just finished my first year and thought it was about time to really start to build up a background in order to end up in Finance. Engineering being a completely different field from what I really want to do, I planned on not doing anything this summer except studying everything needed to start applying for internships next year (Which I regret now since apparently the younger you show your interest in Finance, the better it is). I've been following some free courses on the internet which are about learning financial accounting and some financial modeling. Which brings me to ask the forum what can I study/learn/do before going back to uni which would help me improve my profile for my future applications? And btw I don't have any experience on the field so I'm willing to try and give a shot to whatever you think would improve my application profile!

What area of finance are you interested in?

There is not much you can do at this moment in time. I would advise you to read a lot of financial news not only to gain more knowledge about the financial sector but also to form your own sentiments and talk intelligently about the markets.

What you study is not really essential, they recruit from diverse backgrounds. A Spring Insight in your first year at top BB would have put you in a better position but this doesn’t have to be the end for you, especially since you’ve just finished your first year.

Research the fields that interest you, read a lot of financial news, start networking, join the finance/investment society at your University in your second year etc.
Reply 2
Original post by EquityResearch
What area of finance are you interested in?

There is not much you can do at this moment in time. I would advise you to read a lot of financial news not only to gain more knowledge about the financial sector but also to form your own sentiments and talk intelligently about the markets.

What you study is not really essential, they recruit from diverse backgrounds. A Spring Insight in your first year at top BB would have put you in a better position but this doesn’t have to be the end for you, especially since you’ve just finished your first year.

Research the fields that interest you, read a lot of financial news, start networking, join the finance/investment society at your University in your second year etc.

Hi, I am more interested in IB.. I actually try and follow the markets and joined the finance related societies during my first year. However,my main goal is to end up my 2nd year with at least a pre-internship or an insight thing on my CV. Reason why I'm asking, what do you think I should do that would improve my profile for those internships?
Hi, I am more interested in IB.. I actually try and follow the markets and joined the finance related societies during my first year. However,my main goal is to end up my 2nd year with at least a pre-internship or an insight thing on my CV. Reason why I'm asking, what do you think I should do that would improve my profile for those internships?

1. The University you attend will/can matter. If you are studying at a non-target you will still stand a chance, however the process will be harder.
2. Good academics.
3. Plenty lot of extracurricular activities related to investment banking.
4. They also want people who are team-workers, people who have verified leadership abilities, communication skills, analytical handiness and other indispensable employability skills.

You have to apply early; most investment banking internships are open for applications from September to November.

Do more investment banking research, continue to follow the markets etc., update your CV, and start networking, volunteer...

I am not too well informed about investment banking, but there are plenty of people on this website who are far more clued-up than I am about this profession, so let's hope another user replies.

Another forum if you are interested would be ‘wallstreetoasis.com’. I occasionally make use of this site a very good site!
Reply 4
Original post by EquityResearch
1. The University you attend will/can matter. If you are studying at a non-target you will still stand a chance, however the process will be harder.
2. Good academics.
3. Plenty lot of extracurricular activities related to investment banking.
4. They also want people who are team-workers, people who have verified leadership abilities, communication skills, analytical handiness and other indispensable employability skills.

You have to apply early; most investment banking internships are open for applications from September to November.

Do more investment banking research, continue to follow the markets etc., update your CV, and start networking, volunteer...

I am not too well informed about investment banking, but there are plenty of people on this website who are far more clued-up than I am about this profession, so let's hope another user replies.

Another forum if you are interested would be ‘wallstreetoasis.com’. I occasionally make use of this site a very good site!

I am actually doing everything you just said except the volunteering part..Thank you for your help though, very appreciate it !!
I am actually doing everything you just said except the volunteering part..Thank you for your help though, very appreciate it !!

You are welcome, I wish you all the best!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending