The Student Room Group

Switching from an engineering focus to a finance focus

So I’m in year 12 and have been gaining a bunch of engineering work experience. I study maths physics and design technology. I’ve been thinking about possibily applying to finance based courses instead, but haven’t been applying to any finance work experience. When writing my personal statement, could I use my engineering work experience (at defence companies) in my personal statement.
Reply 1
Original post by Jett Loubser
So I’m in year 12 and have been gaining a bunch of engineering work experience. I study maths physics and design technology. I’ve been thinking about possibily applying to finance based courses instead, but haven’t been applying to any finance work experience. When writing my personal statement, could I use my engineering work experience (at defence companies) in my personal statement.
Hi, I am literally in a similar situation as you with similar subjects but feel like doing a finance based course due to me not having/able to find engineering WEx
You don't need work experience for either course, the benefit of work experience would be to gauge how you feel about that area as a career.

I'd note also you can go into finance careers from an engineering degree. In fact many finance careers (e.g. accountancy, investment banking, management consulting) you can go into with any degree - you could do Assyriology or evolutionary anthropology or marine biology. For the lBanking or consulting you'd need to go to a target uni ideally though.

In any event just do wider reading around your proposed subject area, see what kinds of related activities you can get involved in, and apply with that. That's all you really need at absolute most.

Quick Reply

Latest