The Student Room Group

Degree for quantitative finance

Hi, I am thinking of working in the quantitative finance industry when I’m older (preferably analyst or trader) and wanted to ask whether these degree choices are good enough or not (they’re in order from the I want to do the most to the least, and also how hard they are for getting in) for my career choice:
1. UCL statistics, economics and finance
2. Warwick economics
3. Nottingham maths and economics
4. Manchester economics and data analytics
5. Southampton economics and data science
Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
You will need a much more quantative degree to become a quant from what ive heard (maths physics CS even engineering maybe)
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ollie5647
You will need a much more quantative degree to become a quant from what ive heard (maths physics CS even engineering maybe)

But isn’t economics and stats/maths quantitative enough?
Reply 3
Original post by user_29
But isn’t economics and stats/maths quantitative enough?

maybe for finance, but becoming a quant is highly competitve majority will have a Phd in maths
Reply 4
Original post by ollie5647
maybe for finance, but becoming a quant is highly competitve majority will have a Phd in maths

What if I get a masters in computational finance or financial engineering at a university like imperial or UCL. Will my application still be considered competitive compared to PHD students?
Reply 5
Original post by user_29
What if I get a masters in computational finance or financial engineering at a university like imperial or UCL. Will my application still be considered competitive compared to PHD students?

I mean maybe im not an expert in this its just that from what i have heard every one in quant finance is post grad level in a very quantitive course. I saw a thread with one guy who became a quant without doing masters or Phd but he did maths at cambridge. Maybe you will get into it and doing finacial engineering at ICL/UCL would be very usefull i guess. However people with degrees you were stating earlier most of the time dont get into IB or related areas in finace, let alone in quant finance. Anyway dont let what i say put you off quant as maybe you can achieve your goal through hard work but also dont just do a Phd for the aim of becoming a quant do it because youre passiontate about the subject.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending