The Student Room Group

How to improve chances of a finance job from engineering degree

I have an engineering degree from Durham University with lots of engineering experience including a summer internship and a placement year both at Siemens. I am still unsure what I would like to but a finance role (investment banking) is one of my options - a role including that and engineering would be ideal! Without any finance experience, I think I don't stand a chance so I was wondering what I could do. I was thinking of online courses, lots of reading and a self project might help. What would stand out to them?
I'd suggest cold emailing/ LinkedIn connecting to try and get an internship - no matter how casual - to gain a little insight into the world of finance. It doesn't have to be investment banking right away, an internship in investment management etc. would be fine as a stepping stone.

And yeah, definitely online courses: Financial Modelling & Valuation (LBO/ DCF) etc.
Reply 2
Original post by confuzzledteen
I'd suggest cold emailing/ LinkedIn connecting to try and get an internship - no matter how casual - to gain a little insight into the world of finance. It doesn't have to be investment banking right away, an internship in investment management etc. would be fine as a stepping stone.

And yeah, definitely online courses: Financial Modelling & Valuation (LBO/ DCF) etc.

I have finished my degree so I don’t think it’s possible to get an internship as I am currently on one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending