The Student Room Group

M&A internship

What key things to learn before an internship in M&A?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How to stay awake.
Reply 2
Research on it, what tasks are involved with having a role in M&A. Maybe look at any information the people giving u the internship may have sent u.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
You are generally not asked to do a lot of work on an internship. The point is to get a full time job at the end. Do what you are asked to do and do it well and promptly. Be likeable and enthusiastic. Don't **** basic tasks up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
In terms of the actualities, what is required?

i.e would an intern be assigned a task creating models? what are people's experiences.

also, how much modelling work can we get exposed to? given most models can be found from templates and just adjusted accordingly with rejigging numbres.

forgive my ignorance if this is not the case.
Original post by gr8wizard10

i.e would an intern be assigned a task creating models? what are people's experiences.

also, how much modelling work can we get exposed to? given most models can be found from templates and just adjusted accordingly with rejigging numbres.

I'd get in contact with MAINE/fuuji, they'll give you a more insightful reply.

Posted from TSR Mobile

From my experience,

Even if you know a lot, it's not that useful because every bank does stuff differently and this is what you have to get to grips with very fast. Most models I work on, you're just adding extra analysis, using a template, updating them, or fixing something. Never had to do a model from scratch or if so, it's a very, very basic analysis on something. Also, lots of powerpoint and ****ing around with Excel to make a graph look sexy and getting it into Powerpoint with all the right analysis/conclusions, engineering it to come to the right conclusion etc. Actually, my biggest problem was trying to make so much data look good/simple in a graph and presentable etc. Also, you're the guy doing the work so if you think in the presentation, some analysis is missing or would look better another way, or you should add something, then say. My Associate was disproportionately impressed by adding an extra row in a table on a presentation showing the trend of a different way of measuring a certain metric. Little weird things like that matter.

And actually, before you do anything, get a pen and paper and ask an Analyst to walk you through all the formatting rules regarding colours, bold, italics, types of graphs, hard coded numbers, font size and font type. Will save you lots of time later. And make sure everything is consistent in everything you work on.

Most of it is just asking the right questions to get what you need done as quickly as possible and doing what is asked. I've actually found you can get quite a few abstract and weird requests from time to time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Tbh I have no idea I would do without this sub forum :biggrin:
Tell everyone you're going to be rich
Reply 9
Original post by will2348
From my experience,

Even if you know a lot, it's not that useful because every bank does stuff differently and this is what you have to get to grips with very fast. Most models I work on, you're just adding extra analysis, using a template, updating them, or fixing something. Never had to do a model from scratch or if so, it's a very, very basic analysis on something. Also, lots of powerpoint and ****ing around with Excel to make a graph look sexy and getting it into Powerpoint with all the right analysis/conclusions, engineering it to come to the right conclusion etc. Actually, my biggest problem was trying to make so much data look good/simple in a graph and presentable etc. Also, you're the guy doing the work so if you think in the presentation, some analysis is missing or would look better another way, or you should add something, then say. My Associate was disproportionately impressed by adding an extra row in a table on a presentation showing the trend of a different way of measuring a certain metric. Little weird things like that matter.

And actually, before you do anything, get a pen and paper and ask an Analyst to walk you through all the formatting rules regarding colours, bold, italics, types of graphs, hard coded numbers, font size and font type. Will save you lots of time later. And make sure everything is consistent in everything you work on.

Most of it is just asking the right questions to get what you need done as quickly as possible and doing what is asked. I've actually found you can get quite a few abstract and weird requests from time to time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Q: if you apply to say 3 divisions at an IB for SA internship, do you have to talk about all 3 divisions in your cover letter?

And would you say it wise to apply to 3 divisions?
Original post by e^x
Quick Q: if you apply to say 3 divisions at an IB for SA internship, do you have to talk about all 3 divisions in your cover letter?

You'd have to word the cover letter so it could be applicable to all divisions as it would be seen by representatives from all those divisions you'd applied to - it'll get binned if they feel like it's not relevant/very good. Although most people don't read them anyway so would probably be fine...

In light of that, I'd apply to one division or two if they are very similar and then really go for it.

Just my two cents.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by will2348
You'd have to word the cover letter so it could be applicable to all divisions as it would be seen by representatives from all those divisions you'd applied to - it'll get binned if they feel like it's not relevant/very good. Although most people don't read them anyway so would probably be fine...

In light of that, I'd apply to one division or two if they are very similar and then really go for it.

Just my two cents.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If a CL is not required, then would you apply to as many divisions as you can?
Original post by e^x
If a CL is not required, then would you apply to as many divisions as you can?

Varies by bank but I doubt it matters as you'll be assessed by each division separately. Does it increase your chances? Meh...Each division is as competitive as the other so whether it increases your chances is debatable.
Reply 13
What key things to learn before an internship in M&A?

What kind of an internship is it? Summer, long-term, year long placement?

Original post by Ib7637ib
You are generally not asked to do a lot of work on an internship.
Only really true for a summer internship, and even then you might end up with a whole bunch of more or less real work

Pretty much what will2348 said.
In my previous teams we'd always quite like to give interns company profiles to do and lots of research.
Modelling wise it is highly dependant on how long you'll be there for, your team / staffer and how good you are. You are unlikely to build a model from scratch, but if you're not just a sumemr intern and your team is kind (or completely under water) you can get some decent modelling exposure. That can range from just plugging in a few multiples and figures into a football field to running a full template. If you have lots of previous experience you could even get a shot at building a model from scratch.
Whether tempaltes are used a lot or not is also a point. Many teams will have tempaltes for valuations. Some won't. Folks in my last team didn't beleive in tempaltes, so we rarely broke out a proper valuation for pitching purposes. And since we didn't model for the sake of filling in one figure on a slide with a football field which is meaningless, we never had tempaltes.
If you're working on a deal you won't (or at least shouldn't) use tempaltes but always build from scratch. An intern woudn't get to model for a live mandate.

That said, if you're really desperate you can try what an intern once did to me. Asked me if he can sit next to me and watch me build a model.

Original post by e^x

Sounds like you're applying to GS. I beleive there the cover letter was optional so I tihnk I left it out last time I applied. Got me interviewed at my 2nd choice office (not London) . for my 3rd choice.
Original post by KLL

Only really true for a summer internship,

It's August...

Original post by KLL

No one I have ever spoken to did work that required thought on a summer internship (in finance) and I certainly didn't in mine. What kind of company would let an intern have actual input on a live deal?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
It's August...

No one I have ever spoken to did work that required thought on a summer internship (in finance) and I certainly didn't in mine. What kind of company would let an intern have actual input on a live deal?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Built from scratch 2 3 statement DCF models for airlines at the buyside firm I'm at.
Original post by LMSZ
Built from scratch 2 3 statement DCF models for airlines at the buyside firm I'm at.

And I'm guessing someone else went though every single line checking it (unless you had significant previous experience)?

I should amend my previous statement to "I've never heard of someone doing real work that wasn't also done by someone else at the firm who was full time".

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
It's August...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because it's August, its a bit late to ask what to do BEFORE an internship, so who knows....
It's august, how long have you been interning? And if you read what I said, you'd see that I did say the duration of your stay is relevant. So it is indeed unlikely a summer intern would do modelling unless they had significant previous experience. And some summer interns do come with up to 12 months worth of M&A internships and can be competent enough to handle more important tasks.
I also do mention that an intern would not get to model on a live deal.
Furthermore, I'd like to refer to the first sentence of mine you quote where I do say that this is generally true, meaning my statements thereafter are not the rule.
Now if you could read and apply common sense better, amybe you would get better tasks in your internship
Reply 18
And I'm guessing someone else went though every single line checking it (unless you had significant previous experience)?

I should amend my previous statement to "I've never heard of someone doing real work that wasn't also done by someone else at the firm who was full time".

Posted from TSR Mobile

Obivously every peice of work by the intern, unless utterly meaningless and superficial, gets checked by the analyst. The analyst's work in turn gets checked by the associate. The VP doesn't really need to check every detail, but it doesn't reflect well on him either is he lets an obvious mistake pass. Doesn't really negate the fact that both the intern and analyst actually did work.
Original post by KLL
Because it's August, its a bit late to ask what to do BEFORE an internship, so who knows....
It's august, how long have you been interning? And if you read what I said, you'd see that I did say the duration of your stay is relevant. So it is indeed unlikely a summer intern would do modelling unless they had significant previous experience. And some summer interns do come with up to 12 months worth of M&A internships and can be competent enough to handle more important tasks.
I also do mention that an intern would not get to model on a live deal.
Furthermore, I'd like to refer to the first sentence of mine you quote where I do say that this is generally true, meaning my statements thereafter are not the rule.
Now if you could read and apply common sense better, amybe you would get better tasks in your internship

I'm not an intern.

And I'm sorry if I'm being rude. I'm cranky at the moment. In the context of this thread we are talking about someone who clearly does not have significant experience. S/he is not going to get to do real stuff, unless it is a very unusual situation. And even with experience very few interns get to do real stuff, although i do not know enough about smaller firms to generalize to those cases.

Original post by KLL
Obivously every peice of work by the intern, unless utterly meaningless and superficial, gets checked by the analyst. The analyst's work in turn gets checked by the associate. The VP doesn't really need to check every detail, but it doesn't reflect well on him either is he lets an obvious mistake pass. Doesn't really negate the fact that both the intern and analyst actually did work.

But there is a difference between checking, which is what an associate will do to an analyst, and doing the same thing, which is what an analyst would do to an intern.

I doubt this is an argument worth either of our times continuing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending