The Student Room Group

do bristol uni ppl get into investment banking?

^^
I know target are oxbridge, lse, ucl and Warwick......
but how many bristol uni ppl get into IB or say in consulting or in Big4?
Is it good enough? Is it too difficult to get in since its semi target?
I got rejected by LSE so no target for me... ill be studying economics....
Bristol is a good target uni! It’s not so much about your uni, just be proactive with applying to spring weeks in your forst year!
Plenty of people from Bristol get into IB every year lol. All you have to do is go on LinkedIn to verify this. Same goes for any other semi target.
Original post by wizkid44
Bristol is a good target uni! It’s not so much about your uni, just be proactive with applying to spring weeks in your forst year!

hey, is spring weeks like the internship? or is it different? Can I get into spring week even if I don't have any previous work exp.? and then apply for internships at firms showing that spring week as work exp.?
are these spring weeks as competitive as an actual internship at jp Morgan, goldman, Stanley, Lazard etc? or does everyone who applies gets in?
Original post by anonuser99
Plenty of people from Bristol get into IB every year lol. All you have to do is go on LinkedIn to verify this. Same goes for any other semi target.

Yes I do have LinkedIn and quite some good connections... but my thing is I don't have any work exp. so I'm not sure how to get internships at firms without previous exp.
Ps im international student and we were only trained to do good in academics and leave everything else...but from what I can see work exp is a must
Original post by Legiterspams
hey, is spring weeks like the internship? or is it different? Can I get into spring week even if I don't have any previous work exp.? and then apply for internships at firms showing that spring week as work exp.?
are these spring weeks as competitive as an actual internship at jp Morgan, goldman, Stanley, Lazard etc? or does everyone who applies gets in?

Hey, spring weeks are different to internships. Spring weeks are undertaken in the first year of uni (if you’re on a three year course) and as the name suggests it lasts for around a week in the summer.
An internship would be in your penultimate year of university and is normally for an extended time (6-10 weeks) in your summer after second year.
Yes you can apply to them with no exp but you have to usually do a cover letter and CV so you’d need to leverage things you’ve already done.
And yes the spring weeks are quite competitive to get into, usually a multi stage application process. No, not everyone gets in!
Hope this helps!
If you want to be successful at Bristol start researching the industry, how to progress, etc.
Use these forums and other resources.
Plenty of people at Bristol place in IB, I know of some people that have got many springs (and summers) when going to Bristol - they're very prepared and know how to do well in applications.
Knowledge about applications, the industry as a whole and how you can progress is very important.
Original post by yephahagottem
If you want to be successful at Bristol start researching the industry, how to progress, etc.
Use these forums and other resources.
Plenty of people at Bristol place in IB, I know of some people that have got many springs (and summers) when going to Bristol - they're very prepared and know how to do well in applications.
Knowledge about applications, the industry as a whole and how you can progress is very important.

Hey, spring weeks are different to internships. Spring weeks are undertaken in the first year of uni (if you’re on a three year course) and as the name suggests it lasts for around a week in the summer.
An internship would be in your penultimate year of university and is normally for an extended time (6-10 weeks) in your summer after second year.
Yes you can apply to them with no exp but you have to usually do a cover letter and CV so you’d need to leverage things you’ve already done.
And yes the spring weeks are quite competitive to get into, usually a multi stage application process. No, not everyone gets in!
Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info... I’ve really done some deep research in this field and also took as much resources available from wherever I can.... I will keep doing this and hopefully can be the best of myself.
Btw, i have seen my LinkedIn connections, ppl who are studying at LSE 2020-2023 batch.... have already secured internships and they are doing it while they are in 1st yr, i.e., they claim to have started in feb’21 or some april’21 but are in first yr or end of first yr... and that too like each person getting into 3-5 firms at the same time.... how’s that possible? Are they faking it? Or since they are lse students they have special privilege that allows them to do so?
Thanks for the info... I’ve really done some deep research in this field and also took as much resources available from wherever I can.... I will keep doing this and hopefully can be the best of myself.
Btw, i have seen my LinkedIn connections, ppl who are studying at LSE 2020-2023 batch.... have already secured internships and they are doing it while they are in 1st yr, i.e., they claim to have started in feb’21 or some april’21 but are in first yr or end of first yr... and that too like each person getting into 3-5 firms at the same time.... how’s that possible? Are they faking it? Or since they are lse students they have special privilege that allows them to do so?

Thats completely possible. Internships and spring weeks are so competitive so it’s standard for people to apply for like 10+ , so they can get multiple offers back. Then they can choose to do which ones to do, as long as they don’t clash. Some people will announce they’ve got accepted even if they can’t do it!
And with LSE, a lot of people will put their internships in advance (e.g incoming m&A intern ect). A lot of people in LSE are aiming for corporate roles so it makes it seem like they have special privileges but they don’t

It's possible to do multiple Spring Insight weeks if you can get through the application processes successfully, people often refer to themselves as 'Spring Interns' on their Linkedin account. These are for first years on 3 year courses, or second years on 4 year courses (for UK students).
You can receive a return offer for the following year Summer Internship, as a result of your performance during the Spring, generally you'll be fast-tracked to the assessment centre (final stage) for the Summer Internship the following year. Generally Summer Internships are undertaken during the summer after your penultimate years. If you convert your Spring into a Summer, you'll tend to hear from around now onwards. People often put 'Incoming Summer Analyst at x' on their Linkedin.

You can do a first year Summer but these are less commonplace.
Hopefully this is all clear.
Thats completely possible. Internships and spring weeks are so competitive so it’s standard for people to apply for like 10+ , so they can get multiple offers back. Then they can choose to do which ones to do, as long as they don’t clash. Some people will announce they’ve got accepted even if they can’t do it!
And with LSE, a lot of people will put their internships in advance (e.g incoming m&A intern ect). A lot of people in LSE are aiming for corporate roles so it makes it seem like they have special privileges but they don’t

Thanks! this is very helpful :smile:
Original post by yephahagottem
It's possible to do multiple Spring Insight weeks if you can get through the application processes successfully, people often refer to themselves as 'Spring Interns' on their Linkedin account. These are for first years on 3 year courses, or second years on 4 year courses (for UK students).
You can receive a return offer for the following year Summer Internship, as a result of your performance during the Spring, generally you'll be fast-tracked to the assessment centre (final stage) for the Summer Internship the following year. Generally Summer Internships are undertaken during the summer after your penultimate years. If you convert your Spring into a Summer, you'll tend to hear from around now onwards. People often put 'Incoming Summer Analyst at x' on their Linkedin.

You can do a first year Summer but these are less commonplace.
Hopefully this is all clear.

Thanks! this is very helpful :smile:
^^
I know target are oxbridge, lse, ucl and Warwick......
but how many bristol uni ppl get into IB or say in consulting or in Big4?
Is it good enough? Is it too difficult to get in since its semi target?
I got rejected by LSE so no target for me... ill be studying economics....

i imagine this not relevant anymore but Big 4 consulting do not care about where you go, just whether you pass their exams and interviews. I knew someone at deloitte consulting who was at Nottingham Trent, so just goes to show it doesn't matter where you go, but who you are. At least with the big 4 that is. In regards to IB I knew a few people get Barclays IB by second year,including my old housemate. I am also did Law at bristol and am doing some final rounds of consulting at PA, Accenture, , EY and KPMG

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending