The Student Room Group

Have I injured a nerve in my foot/big toe?

For some time I've noticed that when I get up in the morning I can barely walk on my left foot because it feels like I'm stepping on an exposed nerve in my big toe. It isn't exactly painful but it feel like electricity is shooting around the bottom right side of my toe (the pad part)and it's impossible to put pressure on it.

This feeling only lasts for about 5-10 minutes anc then I'm absolutely fine for the rest of the day. I can't squeeze my big toe in that regiom when I wake up but after a while I can, even if I go back to bed again and lie down.

My toe looks normal except for a tiny faint black dot in the region but I can't remember if that's always been there. My other toe is unaffected.

Can anyone give me any advice/a possible diagnosis? I can't find anything on google except it possibly being a bunion but both my toes are the same shape, it's only affecting one region of my big toe and it's not in the right place for a bunion and I'm only 19.

Thank you :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
GP.png
Original post by Moonstruck16
For some time I've noticed that when I get up in the morning I can barely walk on my left foot because it feels like I'm stepping on an exposed nerve in my big toe. It isn't exactly painful but it feel like electricity is shooting around the bottom right side of my toe (the pad part)and it's impossible to put pressure on it.

This feeling only lasts for about 5-10 minutes anc then I'm absolutely fine for the rest of the day. I can't squeeze my big toe in that regiom when I wake up but after a while I can, even if I go back to bed again and lie down.

My toe looks normal except for a tiny faint black dot in the region but I can't remember if that's always been there. My other toe is unaffected.

Can anyone give me any advice/a possible diagnosis? I can't find anything on google except it possibly being a bunion but both my toes are the same shape, it's only affecting one region of my big toe and it's not in the right place for a bunion and I'm only 19.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Omg I have the same issue but my right toe and I have had this problem since January. The GP recommended we do an x Ray because the pain never goes away. Anyway I have read online that it could be 'arthritis of the big toe which starts in your early 20, yikes!
Original post by queen-bee
Omg I have the same issue but my right toe and I have had this problem since January. The GP recommended we do an x Ray because the pain never goes away. Anyway I have read online that it could be 'arthritis of the big toe which starts in your early 20, yikes!

Errr may go visit my GP when I go back to uni...

How long do you have to wait until you have your x-ray?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just one phrase stands out in that to me. Where you say that it 'feels like electricity shooting around' I have something that feels exactly like that.

This is years ago, i got these pains like you described it ias like electricity shooting up my arm. It went from my fingers to elbow, sometimes to my sholder. I went to doctors and they said it's probably a trapped Nurve, and the 'cure' is to strap the 2 fingers together a bit like if youve broken a finger, then continue to do as much as things as you can normally, just with 2 fingers stuck together. Wait until you get none of the pain, then wait at least 24 hours with no pain before removing the tape. If it returns, simply repeat.
Basically doing that means I don't use the fingers, so it 'resets' the nurves, and they work again.
I have no idea how many times it's happend since but that's always what I do and it still works, if it dident id go back to the GP.

To anyswer your question I'd say it is likely that you have damaged a nurve yes as your symptoms are electricity are like mine. But maybe not injured, yes I do get times randomly when the pain comes back but it's fairly easy to treat as above-takes about a week of having it on, but is more affective the quicker I tape the fingers together from first feeling it.

I'm sorry I cant find any article online about traped nurves, but I suggest that you try taping your toes together, although I know you may struggle to walk as it's your big toe I don't know what elce to suggest. Other than go to your GP.
Original post by dipka
Just one phrase stands out in that to me. Where you say that it 'feels like electricity shooting around' I have something that feels exactly like that.

This is years ago, i got these pains like you described it ias like electricity shooting up my arm. It went from my fingers to elbow, sometimes to my sholder. I went to doctors and they said it's probably a trapped Nurve, and the 'cure' is to strap the 2 fingers together a bit like if youve broken a finger, then continue to do as much as things as you can normally, just with 2 fingers stuck together. Wait until you get none of the pain, then wait at least 24 hours with no pain before removing the tape. If it returns, simply repeat.
Basically doing that means I don't use the fingers, so it 'resets' the nurves, and they work again.
I have no idea how many times it's happend since but that's always what I do and it still works, if it dident id go back to the GP.

To anyswer your question I'd say it is likely that you have damaged a nurve yes as your symptoms are electricity are like mine. But maybe not injured, yes I do get times randomly when the pain comes back but it's fairly easy to treat as above-takes about a week of having it on, but is more affective the quicker I tape the fingers together from first feeling it.

I'm sorry I cant find any article online about traped nurves, but I suggest that you try taping your toes together, although I know you may struggle to walk as it's your big toe I don't know what elce to suggest. Other than go to your GP.

Hmm I did think that to but it really is only located to that one region on my toe. I know the electricity feeling you're describing but it doesn't feel like that. It kinda feels like their is a centre in that region and the electricity is spreading outwards, just not very far. The rest of that toe, my foot and my legs aren't affected.
Could it just be very localised nerve damage?
Reply 6
Hmm I did think that to but it really is only located to that one region on my toe. I know the electricity feeling you're describing but it doesn't feel like that. It kinda feels like their is a centre in that region and the electricity is spreading outwards, just not very far. The rest of that toe, my foot and my legs aren't affected.
Could it just be very localised nerve damage?

That's possible I imagine. But as I'm not a doctor or any kind of medical knowlege then I don't really know. All I can really suggest is to go to your doctor. Sorry.

Quick Reply

Latest