The Student Room Group

i need help with my law module problem based question !!!

Hi i am a second year forensic science Student and i have a law module and I've been given a problem based question and have been told to use IRAC I was wondering if there are any law students or anyone who could help me with this question and help me with some guidance and also with referencing because your referencing is completely different lol . If yes I don't mind giving you other socials if its easier to contact thank you ! , T
(edited 2 months ago)
whats the topic and what exactly do you need help with? the referencing used is often OSCOLA, theres loads of guides online about it.
Reply 2
I think the main thing I need help with it how I would define what charge he would be suffering with and the terminology like but for and how I would use this terminology whilst still using the IRAC structure this is the question Jasmine and Paul have lived together for 12 years. When he is sober, Paul is a loving partner, but when he has been drinking alcohol, he takes pleasure in mentally and verbally abusing Jasmine. Recently, when Paul came home from the pub, he was very drunk. He immediately started verbally abusing Jasmine and calling her insulting names. Jasmine walked away from Paul into the kitchen, but he followed her and kept on verbally abusing her. He tried to grab her arm, but she turned and pushed him away. He stumbled, regained his balance and then punched her in the arm. Jasmine slipped, lost her footing and fell to the floor, banging her head on the corner of the table and on the floor as she fell. Paul could see blood pooling on the floor and knew that Jasmine was seriously injured. He fled from the house in panic.
[start]Paul ran into the road then tripped and fell but was not visibly injured. A passer-by called the police and an ambulance. The paramedics tried to get Paul into the ambulance, but he was flailing his arms around and almost hit Bella, the paramedic. Bella stepped back and Paul put his face close to hers and aggressively told her that he hadn’t finished with her yet. Paul looked so angry that Bella was scared that he was going to hit her. A second ambulance had arrived on the scene.[/start]
[start]The paramedics went into the house to check if there was anyone inside, but it was too late, Jasmine was already dead.[/start]
[start]Advise Paul on his potential criminal liability together with any defences that may be available to him.[/start]
[start] [/start]
[start][NOTE TO STUDENTS: Do NOT consider any potential offences that may have been committed by Jasmine].[/start]
[start] [/start]
[start] I’ve got drafts of my answer but I’m not sure on them [/start]
I think with criminal law, I like doing subheadings, so splitting up the Actus reus, mens rea and defences. this makes it very easy to go through. in this question it doesnt seem too complex with AR and causation, seems to be clear intent with MR but also need to mention intoxication,. may be some other offences like battery with Bella he also does omit in not calling the paramedics. I also dont use irac so cant be of help with that but just go thru it chronologically, use subheads, and im sure u will be fine.
Reply 4
Thank you that helps :smile:
Reply 5
Just seeing this, and hope this may be of help for future assignments; a core reading book that's indispensable is Problem Questions for Law Students: A Study Guide.
It takes you through how to stage each answer using a CLEO (viz IRAC) structure, splitting a question up via issue or by party. It also the easiest to follow OSCOLA guide to help with footnotes, referencing and formatting

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending