The Student Room Group

Modern Languages Applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by AC57
Ahhhhh no don't say that :'( Are you an international applicant or a Scottish applicant by any chance?
French and Portuguese :smile:

Im international but I've been studying in England since 4 form
Original post by sb17
Have you received any offers?

I ended up applying for French and Linguistics at Leeds, Warwick, Newcastle, Edinburgh and York, and have received offers from all except Edinburgh :smile: Leeds is my absolute favourite! What are you applying for and where?
Original post by jasmineh23
Applied for French and beginner's Spanish at Warwick, Southampton, Birmingham, Bristol and Liverpool and got an offer today from Warwick (AAB)! :biggrin:
Is anyone else the only person at their school applying for languages? :wink: It's so unpopular!!

Yes I'm one of two people applying for a language!
I'm applying for Spanish and Linguistics. I can't wait to take a course with other passionate people, languages are so unpopular at my school and I don't understand why!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 184
I've got an offer to study Modern Languages (French, German and Arabic) at Warwick
Original post by Elliee321
I'm applying for Spanish and Linguistics. I can't wait to take a course with other passionate people, languages are so unpopular at my school and I don't understand why!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I feel the same! Where have you applied?
I've got offers from Bristol, Cardiff, Warwick, Exeter and Southampton for French :smile: going to put Southampton as my firm offer- AAB and not sure about my insurance- between Warwick and Bristol- both ABB. Any suggestions?
Original post by Bewardy98
I've got offers from Bristol, Cardiff, Warwick, Exeter and Southampton for French :smile: going to put Southampton as my firm offer- AAB and not sure about my insurance- between Warwick and Bristol- both ABB. Any suggestions?

I've applied for the exact same unis but I'm doing French and ab initio Spanish :smile:Still waiting for offers from Exeter and Bristol though, one of which will be my insurance with Southampton likely to be my firm.
Personally, I prefer Bristol to Warwick because I live in rural area and I want to be within a city rather than on a campus that might feel a bit isolated ... Plus, my family are originally from Somerset so I've been to Bristol a lot and love the city :smile:
Reply 188
Is anyone applying that does the IB? :smile:
Original post by AC57
Is anyone applying that does the IB? :smile:

Me! What language/languages have you applied for. I take French at HL and have applied for History of Art and French at Nottingham, Warwick, Exeter, KCL and Durham. Offers from KCL, Exeter and Nottingham and an interview at Warwick! I'm pretty certain I'm going to firm Exeter regardless of the outcome of my application at Durham :smile: What about you? It's so great to find other IB people here!
Reply 190
Original post by emilys7
Me! What language/languages have you applied for. I take French at HL and have applied for History of Art and French at Nottingham, Warwick, Exeter, KCL and Durham. Offers from KCL, Exeter and Nottingham and an interview at Warwick! I'm pretty certain I'm going to firm Exeter regardless of the outcome of my application at Durham :smile: What about you? It's so great to find other IB people here!

Yeah it's great to find someone who understands the struggle! I do French HL too, and I've applied for French and beginners' Portuguese at Bristol, Edinburgh, Exeter, Southampton and Oxford :smile: Got offers for all apart from Edinburgh who are taking ages to respond... Pretty sure I'll firm Oxford (38 points) and have Bristol (32 points) as my insurance! Pretty exciting.
Original post by AC57
Yeah it's great to find someone who understands the struggle! I do French HL too, and I've applied for French and beginners' Portuguese at Bristol, Edinburgh, Exeter, Southampton and Oxford :smile: Got offers for all apart from Edinburgh who are taking ages to respond... Pretty sure I'll firm Oxford (38 points) and have Bristol (32 points) as my insurance! Pretty exciting.

Huge congrats for Oxford!!! Which college did you apply to? I was quite surprised that a number of unis were only asking 32 for french which when compared to other courses and some A-level requirements was really low! Notts for me was 32, KCL 35 and Exeter 36 but overall I'm predicted 39/40 so I'll just have to see! How are finding the HL course? I personally love all the cultural aspects of it and the french politics and francophone international relations bit was the most interesting bit for me :smile: I have my french mock tomorrow so I'm currently cramming all the section B useful phrases 😂
anyone doing a joint honours with a language? :smile: I'm doing german and business
Reply 193
Original post by emilys7
Huge congrats for Oxford!!! Which college did you apply to? I was quite surprised that a number of unis were only asking 32 for french which when compared to other courses and some A-level requirements was really low! Notts for me was 32, KCL 35 and Exeter 36 but overall I'm predicted 39/40 so I'll just have to see! How are finding the HL course? I personally love all the cultural aspects of it and the french politics and francophone international relations bit was the most interesting bit for me :smile: I have my french mock tomorrow so I'm currently cramming all the section B useful phrases 😂

Haha thank you! I'm pretty pleased. I applied to and was successful at New College :smile: Yeah I know right! I was so surprised at the Bristol offer, especially considering it's Russell Group! Yeah I'm predicted 42... so I was expecting higher offers. I loooooooooove higher French :smile: My favourite is hands down the literature. We did Thérèse Raquin by Zola and La Cantatrice Chauve by Ionesco. Loved them both so much!!! Best part of the IB. Ahhh good luck! You'll smash it.
Original post by Jennieee_
anyone doing a joint honours with a language? :smile: I'm doing german and business

Yes French and Linguistics :smile:
Got an offer to do German and Beginner's Spanish at Wolfson College at Cambridge! I'm over the moon :smile:
Original post by blakeho96
Got an offer to do German and Beginner's Spanish at Wolfson College at Cambridge! I'm over the moon :smile:

congrats!! what are ur grades for AS and predicted? :smile:
Original post by cherrycola98
Yes French and Linguistics :smile:

nice! where hav u applied for? and have u got offers yet? :smile:
Hey guys, having trouble deciding between Cambridge, Surrey, Lancaster and Sheffield for Modern Languages :/ any advice??
Original post by blakeho96

I've had an offer for French and Beginners Spanish at Clare:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending