The Student Room Group

Modern Languages Applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Anybody nervous about Arabic? I have applied for Development and Arabic at SOAS. I haven't had an offer yet. I'm nervous as I haven't done languages for years (mature student). I have been trying to learn at home but I am on an Access course not much time etc and it's hard! Anybody else worried about language degree?
Original post by XcitingStuart
I'm being hopeful. :tongue:

(Some people said I won't get in, but it's worth a shot for me.)

yeah there's no harm in trying tbh!
Original post by StudentMature
Anybody nervous about Arabic? I have applied for Development and Arabic at SOAS. I haven't had an offer yet. I'm nervous as I haven't done languages for years (mature student). I have been trying to learn at home but I am on an Access course not much time etc and it's hard! Anybody else worried about language degree?

OK, so I was wanting to do Arabic at SOAS, and based on what I know from talking to a professor there etc, they will want you to have previous language-learning experience; I'm not sure whether it needs to be recent. Tbh though I think they'll be more concerned about what grades you get on your Access Diploma.
I really wish I made more of my options triple instead of two languages. :/ (Because I've finally decided on doing 3, and I only applied for one course with triple to keep my options open as I was undecided. And I might not get an offer for that one.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by eleanor27
So many people applied for Arabic! :biggrin: I've applied Spanish and ab initio Arabic at Durham (St Hild and Bede), Exeter, St Andrews and Edinburgh (oh and i've been rejected post interview by Oxford St John's lol :P )
Had offers from Durham (AAA) and Exeter (AAB). Pretty sure i'll firm Durham and have Exeter as my insurance. Was originally leaning towards St Andrews as insurance but put off by the lack of a year abroad....
Does anyone know much about Arabic at Durham or Exeter?? So excited to take Arabic up!!! :biggrin:

Do you mind saying what your AS grades were? (So I can look at your offers with those in mind.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by XcitingStuart
Do you mind saying what your AS grades were? (So I can look at your offers with those in mind.)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sure :smile: I got AAAC (spanish, french, english lit, history) oh and my A2 predictions are A*A*A/A*AA (Spanish, french, english lit)
probably me being stupid but why do you think the AS grades make a difference? :smile: Not meant to be said in an 'off' way- genuine interest :smile:
anyone applied for Abredeen or heriot-watt ?
Reply 227
Hello,
I have applied for French and Ab-initio German at (in order of preference)

UCL (University College London)
KCL (King´s College London)
EDINBURGH
BATH

Has anyone applied to any of theese universities or to this language combination?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 228
OMG, congratulations I have an offer for French and Ab initio German, have you visited UCL?
Original post by LamantChenille
I have an AAB offer for French and Danish :biggrin:
What are you applying for?
Original post by jb1997
Hello,
I have applied for French and Ab-initio German at (in order of preference)

UCL (University College London)
KCL (King´s College London)
EDINBURGH
BATH

Has anyone applied to any of this unmiversities or to this language combination?

I have an offer for French and Dutch at UCL! :smile: And applied to French and Swedish at Edinburgh..
Reply 230
Nice, congratulations i have offers from all expept edinburgh, i am still waiting from their response. Between Edinburgh and UCL which one will u choose?
Original post by Diabolomenthe
I have an offer for French and Dutch at UCL! :smile: And applied to French and Swedish at Edinburgh..
Original post by jb1997
Nice, congratulations i have offers from all expept edinburgh, i am still waiting from their response. Between Edinburgh and UCL which one will u choose?

Honestly, no idea- I'm the most indecisive person ever. Who knows I may even choose one of the other universities I applied to... Also yeah Edinburgh is the only one I'm still waiting on... Where are you thinking of going then? :smile:
Reply 232
What are your other universities, if I can ask?
As an international student i would chose UCL, as it is seen outside the UK as the 3rd best university in the UK after Oxbridge as well as having an exelent Modern Languages departament.
Honestly, no idea- I'm the most indecisive person ever. Who knows I may even choose one of the other universities I applied to... Also yeah Edinburgh is the only one I'm still waiting on... Where are you thinking of going then? :smile:
Original post by jb1997
What are your other universities, if I can ask?
As an international student i would chose UCL, as it is seen outside the UK as the 3rd best university in the UK after Oxbridge as well as having an exelent Modern Languages departament.

Interesting! Where are you from? But I don't know if I can afford to live in London :P and I applied to Sheffield, Newcastle and University of London institute in Paris as well UCL and Edinburgh...
Reply 234
Really? for me the London factor is one of the most important factors as I have already lived there and I am looking foward to go back, My dad di Economics at LSE and my uncle Chemical Engineering at Imperial so almost anyone in my familly can understand that i want to go to this wonderful city, however I understand the cost factor, I have seen that it costs around 1200 GBP per month to live in London.
Interesting! Where are you from? But I don't know if I can afford to live in London :P and I applied to Sheffield, Newcastle and University of London institute in Paris as well UCL and Edinburgh...
Original post by eleanor27
Sure :smile: I got AAAC (spanish, french, english lit, history) oh and my A2 predictions are A*A*A/A*AA (Spanish, french, english lit)
probably me being stupid but why do you think the AS grades make a difference? :smile: Not meant to be said in an 'off' way- genuine interest :smile:

I don't know how much AS grades sway the final judgement.

I got BBD. Got AAB predictions for A2. Could've got better grades, but closer to exams more work & effort declined. :frown: :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Late to the party; applications for Chinese (4yr), feedback so far:

Oxford: Rejected (feedback given)
Leeds: Rejected (no feedback given)
SOAS: Offer (2 Distinctions OU)
Durham: Pending
Edinburgh: Pending

Keen to get the all the feedback already so I can settle! :,) I have anxiety and the waiting is murder!
Had offers from KCL - European Studies, Uni of Hull -Chinese, Politics and IS, Uni of Westminster - IR and Arabic ... still waiting for Leeds :x .. anyone applied for a language degree in Leeds?
Original post by Darilinna
Had offers from KCL - European Studies, Uni of Hull -Chinese, Politics and IS, Uni of Westminster - IR and Arabic ... still waiting for Leeds :x .. anyone applied for a language degree in Leeds?

I applied to do French and Japanese at Leeds and their offer came last by quite a long time, like late November when I sent my application late October, I did get the offer though and it's AAB with an A in French.
Original post by Sarahchuu
I applied to do French and Japanese at Leeds and their offer came last by quite a long time, like late November when I sent my application late October, I did get the offer though and it's AAB with an A in French.

I applied on January 13 ( last moment ). Btw I am EU-student. I think there arent many people applied for this degree so I hope I will receive an offer soon :x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending