The Student Room Group

Modern Languages Applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Flg15
Hi! I'm applying for Spanish and beginners German:smile: have you heard anything?

Well my application was only sent yesterday, so apart from an acknowledgment email no 😜
Original post by Flg15
Anyone applying to UCL?

Yes! For Spanish and beginners German.
Got a conditional offer this week and I'm super happy because it is my second choice, right next to Cambridge. :smile:
Reply 62
Original post by JoanaFelicio
Yes! For Spanish and beginners German.
Got a conditional offer this week and I'm super happy because it is my second choice, right next to Cambridge. :smile:

That's what I'm applying for as well! When did you send your application?
Original post by Flg15
That's what I'm applying for as well! When did you send your application?

September 15th. I was really nervous because UCL is pretty much tied for first place in my choices, so if I don't get into Cambridge I'll still be happy! What about you?
Reply 64
September 15th. I was really nervous because UCL is pretty much tied for first place in my choices, so if I don't get into Cambridge I'll still be happy! What about you?

October 9th I think. Yeah UCL is my first choice so hopefully I will hear soon!
Just heard back from Bristol for French, Spanish and Portuguese. Anyone got any offers from Exeter?
Original post by Flg15
October 9th I think. Yeah UCL is my first choice so hopefully I will hear soon!

Good luck, then! Maybe we'll meet there next year. :smile:
Original post by Flg15
Anyone applying to UCL?

Yes I applied to UCL for German and Norwegian and just got an offer on Wednesday. Incidentally, I'm applying for German and beginner's Spanish at Cambridge, sort of similar to you in that sense.
Reply 68
Good luck, then! Maybe we'll meet there next year. :smile:

Thanks and good luck with Cambridge! Yeah I hope so :smile:
Reply 69
Original post by blakeho96
Yes I applied to UCL for German and Norwegian and just got an offer on Wednesday. Incidentally, I'm applying for German and beginner's Spanish at Cambridge, sort of similar to you in that sense.

Congrats on the offer and good luck with Cambridge! When did you apply?
Anyway heard from Durham for languages yet? I'm so impatient, I really want an offer from Durham but they are known for not replying until February :/
Original post by blakeho96

Did you have to have an interview?
Original post by Flg15
Congrats on the offer and good luck with Cambridge! When did you apply?

I sent in my applications on September 9th, which was pretty early. Thank you! All the best with your applications as well :smile:
Original post by Diabolomenthe
Did you have to have an interview?

UCL didn't require me to have an interview; I just received an unconditional offer as I completed my A Levels last year and met all the requirements. As for Cambridge, I haven't received my invitation for an interview, but I think I'll receive it sometime soon, maybe next week.
Hey! :smile:
I've applied for French & ab inito Russian at the following (in order of preference):
Cambridge
Durham
St Andrews
Edinburgh
Exeter
I've got an awful feeling I'll be waiting for a long time, since from what I've heard these are all notoriously slow universities. I applied on October 4th and still haven't got anything, which is pretty frustrating D:
That said, my best friend's sister's first offer was from Cambridge, in January, when she applied a few years ago and she ended up getting all five!

For anyone who's into that sort of thing, my AS grades were 5As, in History, Geography, Economics, French (& General Studies, our school requires us to take it...), I've dropped history and I'm predicted 4A*s with a 7 in ab inito Russian (an IB certificate).

Oh, I've also applied to Magdalene college in Cambridge & St Mary's in Durham!

Good luck everyone! :biggrin: :biggrin:
Hey has anyone applied for languages at Bangor or Aberdeen and heard anything from them? They are the only two universities i am waiting to hear from now I've got my other three offers
I'm applying to French and German at Oxford and Edinburgh then French, German and ab initio Russian at Durham, Warwick and St Andrews
Original post by Tophat98
Hey!
I'm currently taking French and Spanish A Levels (as well as biology and psychology) and am a bit torn. I can't decide whether to do Spanish and Psychology or Spanish and French.

If I do Spanish and French, I'd like to start a third ab initio. I have a little knowledge of German and Italian but can't decide between them!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey I'm currently studying A2 German and AS Spanish and hope to take them both onto university. I enjoy learning German a lot and it is useful language to have. It's not to difficult to learn there are some grammar parts that are a bit confusing at first but once you have learnt them there not bad at all. German is a very logical language and lots of words are made up of other German words so you can sometimes still understand them. Obviously I have never studied Italian so can't help you much with that but I know that it is similar to French and very similar to Spanish so that might be the easiest option out of the two. I would personally say Spanish and French just because of languages are in high demand so you are more likely to get a job but really it depends on what you find interesting. Where are you thinking of applying?
Reply 78
Hey! On thursday my school sent my application for Spanish and German to Sheffield, Nottingham, Birmingham, Newcastle and Sheffield Hallam. I got a conditional offer on Friday from Sheffield Hallam, for 280 UCAS points :smile:
Hi! Thanks for the advice!

I decided to do pure languages so I've had offers for French, Spanish and German from Newcastle and for French and Spanish from Leeds and Manchetser. I'm waiting to hear from York and Durham too:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending