The Student Room Group

Is Uni the best option for a fashion business career?

I really want a career in Fashion, preferably Fashion Business and I could possibly do that course at uni. However at the moment I'm not 100% sure I would like to go to uni but I feel as if it's my only option to make it in the fashion world. I'm currently at sixth form and just finished my AS year, I could do a fashion course at college but I would like to have more than a btec and I can't find any information on which course would be right. If anybody has any advice or experiences of their own of what option they chose that would be a great help! I've searched the Internet and I'm still not sure on what I should do. Also, Should I finish the second year of sixth form or start a fashion course?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Original post by nicole1000
I really want a career in Fashion, preferably Fashion Business and I could possibly do that course at uni. However at the moment I'm not 100% sure I would like to go to uni but I feel as if it's my only option to make it in the fashion world. I'm currently at sixth form and just finished my AS year, I could do a fashion course at college but I would like to have more than a btec and I can't find any information on which course would be right. If anybody has any advice or experiences of their own of what option they chose that would be a great help! I've searched the Internet and I'm still not sure on what I should do. Also, Should I finish the second year of sixth form or start a fashion course?

It's a specific field so I can't really help you. But I would definitely finish your time at sixth form before moving on to the next stage. Are you interested in the creation of fashion or the management?

I would say a London based university is going to be your best bet as they will have the contacts - e.g. London School of Fashion. I do recall seeing placements for work experience in Milan on gap year experiences for the fashion industry. You could have a look into that if it is interesting by just searching on the many gap year/work experience abroad sites!
Original post by nicole1000

Hi there! Have you thought about doing an art foundation course after your A-levels? That way you still have your academic side covered (in form of your A-levels) but also an extra year which was dedicated to fashion. Art foundation is a really good extra qualification you can take which shows you're passionate about fashion without having to quit A-levels :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Artfanatic
It's a specific field so I can't really help you. But I would definitely finish your time at sixth form before moving on to the next stage. Are you interested in the creation of fashion or the management

I would say a London based university is going to be your best bet as they will have the contacts - e.g. London School of Fashion. I do recall seeing placements for work experience in Milan on gap year experiences for the fashion industry. You could have a look into that if it is interesting by just searching on the many gap year/work experience abroad sites!

Hi! I'm mostly interested in the business/ management side. I know I'd be better off going straight into work rather that's going to uni but if I must get a degree first then I will. And I will totally look into that too! Thank you
Reply 5
Original post by Tank Girl
Hi there! Have you thought about doing an art foundation course after your A-levels? That way you still have your academic side covered (in form of your A-levels) but also an extra year which was dedicated to fashion. Art foundation is a really good extra qualification you can take which shows you're passionate about fashion without having to quit A-levels :smile:

Hi, thanks for your reply! I think I might do a fashion business course to build my experience more before looking at jobs/internships etc.

Quick Reply

Latest