The Student Room Group

choosing sociology or changing to fashion business/Media communications?

I am an international student who studied Sociology Yr1 in Uni and I am going to apply to 2024 UCAS Yr 2 as a transfer student . I am in gap year now and I found fashion business seems interesting and fancy but I heard that fashion is a quite competitive industry. So, is it really hard to find jobs in fashion industry in the UK / Manchester( I live in Manchester)? I am considering continue to study sociology or choosing fashion business/ media and communications. It is a really important decision because it is a bit unaffordable for my family to support the tuition fee so I cannot change my major or repeat after I back to campus.

As far as I known, entering fashion industry to become a buyer/ PR/ HR/ marketing manager doesn't require a specific degree, which can be traditional degree e.g sociology,business management ,media communications apart from fashion degree. Media communications degree is the common prioritised choice for recruiter apart from fashion degree and I have a bit experience with studying media communications. But I think sociology is theoretical and it usually makes simpple things become complicated, not as pratical as business or media. My assignment grades for Yr 1 sociology are just fair, the average marks are only fifty something ( maybe because I didn't get used to it in the beginning, but I improved a lot in the second semester because I can at least submit the assignments in the 2nd sem compared to non-submission in the 1st sem). At the end of Yr 1, I can finally get used to it and so I think Sociology is okay for me , at least I don't hate it and there are some modules and topics seem interesting to me. Also, Sociology should be the subject that is easier for me to transfer credits. However, I am not confident in my performance when I study Yr2 or Yr 3 Sociology in the future. Although I spent a lot of effort and time on doing the essays, most of the grades are just fair (around second hon lower).

For fashion business/ media communications, these are the subjects that I have never studied before so I don't know whether I can perform well in these subjects even though they are practical and should be easier to understand. Another important thing is I can write my favourite topic fashion as my dissertation topci for these subjects. But I am a bit afraid that suddenly changing to a subject that I have never studied before will make me cannot handle it when I study it in the future or lowering the possiblity of admission team to accept my application as I just have sociology background. I am worried about the worst scenario --- my fashion business/ media comminications application will get all rejected at the end. But I am really interested in fashion knowledge and fashion career right now. From what I seen so far, fashion business seems more interesting than sociology and I am passionate with it . I am just interested in some parts of sociology. But at the same time, I am also not so confident in fashion industry as the competitiveness is strong and I am not living in London( more opportunities in London). Therefore,to conclude, my ideal and favourite subject is fashion business, but the more rational choice( seems) is sociology. And I don't know how to decide which one is the best chocie for my situation now and what is the most important factor I need to consider.

Thank you all for reading this long paragrpahs. I know these contain a bunch of complicated information so hope you guys don't mind :smile:)
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 1
Hey I was in your position. I got into a Russel Group to do sociology at uni of Sheffield I’m from Manchester too so going elsewhere always felt a bit of a downgrade to me because I like the bustle of Manchester. I did a gap year because I just wanted to asses my options.

I found over the year I wanted to go into business maybe a fashion buying role and would naturally gravitate towards jobs that were like analyst or buying roles within businesses but retained an element of creativity. So I decided to do business with law to keep my options open but I didn’t feel it was creative enough so I transferred to fashion business. I really enjoy the course and I find it gives me motivation because I genuinely enjoy it and you find because it’s so specific it really helps to work towards a career and keeps you driven. I do plan on doing a masters in sociology however just for my own personal development because I still feel it’s important to me to explore that field and have a well rounded education in something more broad.

I think you have to remember that this subject you choose is what you’ll be expected to be a mini expert in once it’s completed so I would do the thing that you want to go into a role in and are passionate about. It’s really vital that you actually enjoy what you study and you’re interested in it because if not you’re going to dread university and stop engaging and feel like the whole experience is not for you. It’s a really big grounding technique when other things aren’t going your way if at the core of it you enjoy your subject you feel like you are the right path it suddenly feels better.

With sociology you can most definitely go into marketing but you just have to remember the people that have studied that directly and can prove they have the best understanding and passion for the area will most likely be the best candidates naturally.
Reply 2
Original post by StudentE1l
Hey I was in your position. I got into a Russel Group to do sociology at uni of Sheffield I’m from Manchester too so going elsewhere always felt a bit of a downgrade to me because I like the bustle of Manchester. I did a gap year because I just wanted to asses my options.

I found over the year I wanted to go into business maybe a fashion buying role and would naturally gravitate towards jobs that were like analyst or buying roles within businesses but retained an element of creativity. So I decided to do business with law to keep my options open but I didn’t feel it was creative enough so I transferred to fashion business. I really enjoy the course and I find it gives me motivation because I genuinely enjoy it and you find because it’s so specific it really helps to work towards a career and keeps you driven. I do plan on doing a masters in sociology however just for my own personal development because I still feel it’s important to me to explore that field and have a well rounded education in something more broad.

I think you have to remember that this subject you choose is what you’ll be expected to be a mini expert in once it’s completed so I would do the thing that you want to go into a role in and are passionate about. It’s really vital that you actually enjoy what you study and you’re interested in it because if not you’re going to dread university and stop engaging and feel like the whole experience is not for you. It’s a really big grounding technique when other things aren’t going your way if at the core of it you enjoy your subject you feel like you are the right path it suddenly feels better.

With sociology you can most definitely go into marketing but you just have to remember the people that have studied that directly and can prove they have the best understanding and passion for the area will most likely be the best candidates naturally.

Are you working in the fashion industry in Manchester now, or anywhere in the UK? If yes, what role/ positions are you working as? is it really hard to find fashion jobs and internships in Manchester, especially when I just have sociology bachelor degree? I discovered that the fashion internships in Manchester are jut a few and I won't find fashion jobs in London because it is too far away from my home. I would like to work at luxury brand Chanel/Dior/ Prada or Boohoo, PrettyLittleThings.

I don't know if it is too difficult to find fashion jobs and internships in Manchester without a fashion degree ( if I just have a sociology bachelor degree), because all of the universities in Manchester provide fashion business courses and the students can gain some practical skills that are especially for fashion business. Therefore, employees may tend to hire students who already acquired fashion skills and experience on fashion , rather than students with sociology’s transferable skills. But I will try to do some extra works and put them onto my CV such as attending short online fashion courses, Excel courses, learning Adobe illustrator or any software for fashion. I am not sure if this will be much useful for me to apply to fashion jobs in Manchester.

I want to transfer to study fashion business Yr 1 at Manchester Metropolitan University but I am afraid that I won't be accepted as I only have sociology background. I am an international student who studied social sciecnes international foundation and sociology year one at Sussex Uni . So, I don't have any business background . As far as I known, MMU is a relatively lenient university for international students. But I don't know if they will still accept students with no business background to enroll in their fashion business courses e.g fashion business management, fashion marketing, fashion buying and merchandising. From your reply, I saw you mentioned you chose to change from sociology to business with law and then transferred to fashion business at the end. Therefore,in the UK, it is possible for business subjects in the universities to accept students with non-business background to enroll in business courses? even though the students have never studied modules that learn about business?

Many Thank!
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Ruby12hty
Are you working in the fashion industry in Manchester now, or anywhere in the UK? If yes, what role/ positions are you working as? is it really hard to find fashion jobs and internships in Manchester, especially when I just have sociology bachelor degree? I discovered that the fashion internships in Manchester are jut a few and I won't find fashion jobs in London because it is too far away from my home. I would like to work at luxury brand Chanel/Dior/ Prada or Boohoo, PrettyLittleThings.

I don't know if it is too difficult to find fashion jobs and internships in Manchester without a fashion degree ( if I just have a sociology bachelor degree), because all of the universities in Manchester provide fashion business courses and the students can gain some practical skills that are especially for fashion business. Therefore, employees may tend to hire students who already acquired fashion skills and experience on fashion , rather than students with sociology’s transferable skills. But I will try to do some extra works and put them onto my CV such as attending short online fashion courses, Excel courses, learning Adobe illustrator or any software for fashion. I am not sure if this will be much useful for me to apply to fashion jobs in Manchester.

I want to transfer to study fashion business Yr 1 at Manchester Metropolitan University but I am afraid that I won't be accepted as I only have sociology background. I am an international student who studied social sciecnes international foundation and sociology year one at Sussex Uni . So, I don't have any business background . As far as I known, MMU is a relatively lenient university for international students. But I don't know if they will still accept students with no business background to enroll in their fashion business courses e.g fashion business management, fashion marketing, fashion buying and merchandising. From your reply, I saw you mentioned you chose to change from sociology to business with law and then transferred to fashion business at the end. Therefore,in the UK, it is possible for business subjects in the universities to accept students with non-business background to enroll in business courses? even though the students have never studied modules that learn about business?

Many Thank!

Hey I still study at MMU, although finding experience can be hard with fashion business I could essentially work for any retailer or business based job. It’s essentially a business degree with also a fashion degree.
You can most certainly study fashion business at undergrad with your sociology background. Your first year wouldn’t really count as experience in your desired degree so don’t worry a lot of us in the UK don’t have direct experience in our pre degree qualifications. I entered with applied business, photography and sociology ALevels. I did enter with business with law and change but I could have entered with English and switched a lot of subjects you can do that and also go onto study at higher level without background experience it’s just more competitive and “cleaver” degrees where background knowledge is essential like sciences, health and veterinary.

With sociology you could most definitely get on with business studies graduate schemes a lot of English literature and language graduates end up in general business graduate degrees. A common graduate career for sociology students is literally marketing and also research based roles.
What I would advise for you is continue your sociology and then do your post grad in something more specific like fashion business.

Working for Chanel, Dior, Vouge etc back of house is the dream but a lot of the time youd probably be looking at a job working for next, dunelm, george, JD, River Island etc than high fashion it’s probably a better work culture too.
Reply 4
Original post by StudentE1l
Original post by Ruby12hty

Many Thank!

Hey I still study at MMU, although finding experience can be hard with fashion business I could essentially work for any retailer or business based job. It’s essentially a business degree with also a fashion degree.
You can most certainly study fashion business at undergrad with your sociology background. Your first year wouldn’t really count as experience in your desired degree so don’t worry a lot of us in the UK don’t have direct experience in our pre degree qualifications. I entered with applied business, photography and sociology ALevels. I did enter with business with law and change but I could have entered with English and switched a lot of subjects you can do that and also go onto study at higher level without background experience it’s just more competitive and “cleaver” degrees where background knowledge is essential like sciences, health and veterinary.

With sociology you could most definitely get on with business studies graduate schemes a lot of English literature and language graduates end up in general business graduate degrees. A common graduate career for sociology students is literally marketing and also research based roles.
What I would advise for you is continue your sociology and then do your post grad in something more specific like fashion business.

Working for Chanel, Dior, Vouge etc back of house is the dream but a lot of the time youd probably be looking at a job working for next, dunelm, george, JD, River Island etc than high fashion it’s probably a better work culture too.

May I know what degree are you studying at MMU?

Which MMU fashion business courses (Fashion business management/ fashion marketing/fashion buying& merchandising/fashion communication) is the best, based on teaching quality/graduate prospects/ student experience?

I discovered that MMU fashion business management has CMI (the chartered management institute) accreditation and graduates will be awarded the CMI diploma in management and leadership.
Fashion marketing graduates will have CIM( The chartered institute of marketing) accredited degree.

For fashion buying and merchandising, from the course outline it mentions that this course has a strong reputation for producing industry ready and professionals. It also has British Fashion Council endorsement.

For fashion communication, it is a course which combines fashion digital marketing and creative IT elements.

All these four courses sound great so I don't know which ones would be the best among these four courses and which course can be the backup choice after the most recommended one. I am open to any positions in the fashion industry that I am interested in being a buyer or marketer or whatever. I will apply to multiple MMU fashion courses as it is not guaranteed to provide an alternative similar course to me once I get rejected by the most favourite one. So I will choose another one or two MMU fashion courses as the backup choices. All my firm choice and insurance choice/backup choice are MMU.

Another question is about Salford Uni fashion business course, Is Salford Uni's fashion business & promotion course accredited in the UK? I saw Salford Art & design graduate prospects is even higher than MMU So MMU vs Salford, which Fashion business course is better for working in the fashion industry? I don't know if I should choose Salford as my backup choice.

Although Salford fashion ranking is good enough, its overall QS ranking is below the average If I work in the fashion industry Salford would be fine for me as its fashion ranking is not bad, even though the uni's overall QS ranking is not high.

However, there is a chance that I may want to work outside the fashion industry. So the university's overall QS ranking may become important in this situation. I don't know if employers in the UK will focus a lot on the university's ranking, especially if I don't have any working experience. I am afraid that it will be difficult to find internships/ jobs if my university ranking is low.

I know the questions I ask may be too many,hope you can provide me with some information if you know. Many thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending