The Student Room Group

Is an Art degree/going to Art school always a waste of time?

Inspired by the other thread :lol:

I know some people in good jobs with History of Art degrees... what about doing pure Art? Obv not exactly Medicine for job prospects but still...

I guess it depends how good you are beforehand too. I'm rubbish at Art lol
(edited 8 years ago)
Depends on your reasons for doing it. If it's less of a career decision and more of a desire to be around highly creative individuals and immerse yourself into the art word for 3 years then great. You don't need a degree in Art to be a full time professional artist though. Some people go on to have really good careers in the creative industries afterwards and some become professional job seekers. It's one of those degrees where things could work out great career wise or disastrously but if your only interest and passion is art then it would be useless to apply to do a Biology degree, wouldn't it?
Original post by somethingbeautiful
Depends on your reasons for doing it. If it's less of a career decision and more of a desire to be around highly creative individuals and immerse yourself into the art word for 3 years then great. You don't need a degree in Art to be a full time professional artist though. Some people go on to have really good careers in the creative industries afterwards and some become professional job seekers. It's one of those degrees where things could work out great career wise or disastrously but if your only interest and passion is art then it would be useless to apply to do a Biology degree, wouldn't it?

Exactly. If you're only desire in life is to earn loads of money, then fine. But people are wrong to claim that those who do Art degrees (or Arts degrees in general) are 'wasting their time'. They are choosing to train in a highly creative environment, and want to do so as they are passionate about Art.

TSR in my opinion has far too many students who are obsessed with salaries, and not much else. I just hope these students grow out of that obsession in ten years time. Yes, money is good. But as the daughter of highly paid (actually, over-paid) barristers, I can tell you it's not the key to happiness. I should know as my parents are ****ing miserable, and their salaries and big house haven't eased that misery.
I wouldn't bother. It's not like they even attempt to turn you into a good artist. Tracy Emin, who is rubbish at drawing, is professor of drawing at the royal academy ffs!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending