The Student Room Group

Need some advice on my A-Level options please.. :')

Hello! I've just started my A-Levels this year and so far it's not so bad, but 2 of my favourite subjects clashed and I was forced to choose one and I'm not sure which is more beneficial.

Right now, I'm taking Film Studies, English Lit, Maths, and Further Maths - however, my original intention was Art instead of English, but it clashed with further maths.

In the future, I know that I'd definitely like to do something creative in the film industry, and hopefully at some point I want to direct some movies. I've researched lots of degrees in Animation, VFX etc. and none of them specify that they require A-Level Art, they just need a good portfolio which I feel I can make outside of school if I continue my original subjects but I was wondering if A-Level Art would still put me ahead at all or if it might take required time away from my other subjects and worsen my grades. I've always had a passion for art with my skill level being graded a 9, but my overall grade at GCSEs was a 7 due to unfinished coursework.

With Further Maths, I worry that I'm not prepared for the intensity despite achieving a 9 in GCSE Maths. All of the Maths department at my school (I'm an internal student) think I can do it but I don't know if it's worth doing if its not absolutely necessary for what I want to do - but my backup plan if the creative arts route doesn't pan out is a maths degree. I also hear that further maths isn't even needed for that. I understand that Maths also isn't just a walk in the park and will require lots and lots of practice but I honestly feel that I will be able to manage it with my other subjects better and am willing to put all of my effort into doing so.

I don't mind doing further maths as I know the work won't take away too much time from my other subjects so I should be able to do decently in all 4, but art has always been my passion and I'm hesitant to leave it behind if it will be helpful in the long run to switch it - but at the same time I would rather get better grades with further maths than terrible grades due to Art's coursework.

Earlier one of my friends was bragging about how amazing and free they feel doing Art a-level (we're in the same year) and it made me realise how trapped I'm feeling in my maths classroom because I can't express myself - though if I do my portfolio outside of school I may feel much better and have more freedom to do whatever I want without added pressure of deadlines and my teachers. But my Film teacher told me that they don't look too much at your subjects at university and only really care for your portfolio anyway so I suppose I'm asking what would give me the best chance at being accepted onto a film degree? I'm also going to get as much experience as possible while I can to make sure the path I chose is for me. I've been trying to decide for weeks now (between Further Maths and Art) so any advice would be helpful please?

Oh my goodness I didn't realise how long this post is, sorry :')
Reply 1
Tbh you can and probably should do a FAD course after 6th form.It is usually done at a local HE college and you can beef up your portfolio there.Fees are free and you may get help with travel and meal costs.
Reply 2
If you want to do maths FM is very useful,also if you were to change tack and want to do computer science for instance.Art is a lot of work with those other subjects and really is not necessary for what you want to do.
Reply 3
Original post by Scotney
Tbh you can and probably should do a FAD course after 6th form.It is usually done at a local HE college and you can beef up your portfolio there.Fees are free and you may get help with travel and meal costs.

Thank you so much! I'll probably do that :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Scotney
If you want to do maths FM is very useful,also if you were to change tack and want to do computer science for instance.Art is a lot of work with those other subjects and really is not necessary for what you want to do.

Okay, awesome! Thank you! I was worried that FM was a waste of time :')
Reply 5
Original post by Blooey_63
Okay, awesome! Thank you! I was worried that FM was a waste of time :')

See how it goes.It is certainly not a waste of time and keeps all your options open at uni.My daughter only took 2 Alevels in the end but then did a UAL FAD.She got offers from all her choices based on portfolio and interview.Art and creative courses really are unlike other courses in terms of how you are selected..
Hello! I've just started my A-Levels this year and so far it's not so bad, but 2 of my favourite subjects clashed and I was forced to choose one and I'm not sure which is more beneficial.

Right now, I'm taking Film Studies, English Lit, Maths, and Further Maths - however, my original intention was Art instead of English, but it clashed with further maths.

In the future, I know that I'd definitely like to do something creative in the film industry, and hopefully at some point I want to direct some movies. I've researched lots of degrees in Animation, VFX etc. and none of them specify that they require A-Level Art, they just need a good portfolio which I feel I can make outside of school if I continue my original subjects but I was wondering if A-Level Art would still put me ahead at all or if it might take required time away from my other subjects and worsen my grades. I've always had a passion for art with my skill level being graded a 9, but my overall grade at GCSEs was a 7 due to unfinished coursework.

With Further Maths, I worry that I'm not prepared for the intensity despite achieving a 9 in GCSE Maths. All of the Maths department at my school (I'm an internal student) think I can do it but I don't know if it's worth doing if its not absolutely necessary for what I want to do - but my backup plan if the creative arts route doesn't pan out is a maths degree. I also hear that further maths isn't even needed for that. I understand that Maths also isn't just a walk in the park and will require lots and lots of practice but I honestly feel that I will be able to manage it with my other subjects better and am willing to put all of my effort into doing so.

I don't mind doing further maths as I know the work won't take away too much time from my other subjects so I should be able to do decently in all 4, but art has always been my passion and I'm hesitant to leave it behind if it will be helpful in the long run to switch it - but at the same time I would rather get better grades with further maths than terrible grades due to Art's coursework.

Earlier one of my friends was bragging about how amazing and free they feel doing Art a-level (we're in the same year) and it made me realise how trapped I'm feeling in my maths classroom because I can't express myself - though if I do my portfolio outside of school I may feel much better and have more freedom to do whatever I want without added pressure of deadlines and my teachers. But my Film teacher told me that they don't look too much at your subjects at university and only really care for your portfolio anyway so I suppose I'm asking what would give me the best chance at being accepted onto a film degree? I'm also going to get as much experience as possible while I can to make sure the path I chose is for me. I've been trying to decide for weeks now (between Further Maths and Art) so any advice would be helpful please?

When I managed to get a uni placement, I got one off the back of good grades in History, English Language and Film Studies. I went to Southampton Solent University to study a joint-honours in Film and English and got a 1st Class Degree. I think you shouldn't have a problem getting a uni placement as long as your grades are decent.
Reply 7

hey! the choices you've made sound great and reasonable, they would definitely shine in any application you make! even if FM isn't necessary for a maths degree it would still make your application stronger than other applicants. if I were you I would continue with FM if you feel confident in the subject, and do your portfolio outside of school hours. open up doors for yourself and don't restrict any career path!! good luck in deciding!!! :biggrin:
In some unis, eg UCL, Bristol etc they require FM for a maths degree, so keep that in mind. Good luck with deciding!

Quick Reply

Latest