The Student Room Group

Degree in Art? Is it really worth it?

Hi,

Really sorry for posting this here, but need some advice since my sister is considering on doing art at uni next year but my family has been very skeptical about doing a degree in art since we are all science-minded.

One particular matter that's most worrying is job prospect.
How much money could you make each year?
Since eventually she has to move out and live independently.
She is really brilliant, and she would probably ended up with couples of A*'s. She is doing 4 science subjects and 1 art.
My parents think that doing art would be a waste to a girl with that much potential especially with such grades. And of course as a brother I would only support her if she is making a good decision. But like my parents, I'm very skeptical about a degree in art.

Also, we are internationals and from what I observed, students that come from my country and wanted to do art, or any course in general, in the UK are mostly academically not capable, unlike me and my sister, and most of them take the course of their choosing and use it as a gateway intended for people with money who are afraid to compete or has failed to gain a place at local universities. I'm worried that my sister is going to turn to one of those people who still earn the right to brag and like to brag about how they have graduated from a UK university, despite how low the uni they graduated from are ranked in the UK. People from my country especially the employers have this thing going on with people who decided to get their degree abroad.

Can someone please help clear my mind with this matter?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

No.
Reply 2
What type of Art degree is she thinking of? If she knows what job to get into specifically after the degree, and it has a good pay then let her. If not then no, it wont be worth it even though she may be capable getting an average paid job; but it would be difficult due to competition with other applicants with a more suitable degree.
I was in the same position as your sister 4 years ago. I studied Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Art for a levels (got 2 A*s and 2 As). Although I was keen on a creative career, my teachers and some family members pressured me to study something academic at a good university.. so I ended up studying Biological Anthropology at Durham. It was a totally alien place to me and I disliked much of the degree. Academically I was still one of the top, but my self esteem was totally shot. It almost destroyed me, but the degree also helped me to discover concepts I had never imagined before. Fortunately I managed to find a dissertation topic that interested me in my final year, as well as a supervisor who supported my rather strange research ideas. This worked out well and now I'm looking forward to starting a funded postgraduate degree related to my undergraduate research. Although I wasn't happy initially, I now consider myself very lucky to have taken this path.

Your sister is clearly very bright and I think she needs to consider her options carefully. Art might be her passion, but she may find that an art degree won't feed her hunger for knowledge (which I assume she has, with those grades in science). She can pursue art as a hobby, and this won't make her any less of an artist than people studying an art degree. Personally I think that my own artistic development progressed greatly due to it being a hobby, rather than something that was taught to me.

If I were you, I would encourage your sister to look into courses that combine strong science with scope to do her own projects and explore ideas that interest her. Depending on what subject she chooses, she could even study the origins of art and the evolution of culture from a scientific perspective. (if you like, i can try and give some pointers here)

Whatever she decides, I hope it works out well for her :smile:
There are a lot of people who get into top universities to study Art with similar grades to your sister
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by kkboyk
What type of Art degree is she thinking of? If she knows what job to get into specifically after the degree, and it has a good pay then let her. If not then no, it wont be worth it even though she may be capable getting an average paid job; but it would be difficult due to competition with other applicants with a more suitable degree.

The thing is the course she intended on applying is not available at top universities, she wants something really specific.
And I don't think it is worth the 15k-a-year tuition fee or about 50k a year all inclusive, also she's only allowed to apply for univ in the south, so she eventually lives not that far from me, which generally will be more expensive. Ideally I would want her to pursue STEM subjects.

Original post by memomemootoo
I was in the same position as your sister 4 years ago. I studied Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Art for a levels (got 2 A*s and 2 As). Although I was keen on a creative career, my teachers and some family members pressured me to study something academic at a good university.. so I ended up studying Biological Anthropology at Durham. It was a totally alien place to me and I disliked much of the degree. Academically I was still one of the top, but my self esteem was totally shot. It almost destroyed me, but the degree also helped me to discover concepts I had never imagined before. Fortunately I managed to find a dissertation topic that interested me in my final year, as well as a supervisor who supported my rather strange research ideas. This worked out well and now I'm looking forward to starting a funded postgraduate degree related to my undergraduate research. Although I wasn't happy initially, I now consider myself very lucky to have taken this path.

Your sister is clearly very bright and I think she needs to consider her options carefully. Art might be her passion, but she may find that an art degree won't feed her hunger for knowledge (which I assume she has, with those grades in science). She can pursue art as a hobby, and this won't make her any less of an artist than people studying an art degree. Personally I think that my own artistic development progressed greatly due to it being a hobby, rather than something that was taught to me.

If I were you, I would encourage your sister to look into courses that combine strong science with scope to do her own projects and explore ideas that interest her. Depending on what subject she chooses, she could even study the origins of art and the evolution of culture from a scientific perspective. (if you like, i can try and give some pointers here)

Whatever she decides, I hope it works out well for her :smile:

You pretty much sum them all up. I already told her that nothing can stop you from joining an art society later at university and she could develop her hobby in her free time. If she finds a way to incorporate that art skills later in her career then that would be even better. I supposed architecture course would be ideal since afaik it incorporates engineering and design.

Original post by Artfanatic
There are a lot of people who get into top universities to study Art with similar grades to your sister. I share similar grades to her (A*A*AAA) but as opposed to studying Maths I would much rather follow my passion. It is going to be a bumpy road for her applying especially if she isn't equipped with a foundation (I have found that out the hard way). If she is insisting on doing it, it's the right choice. I am sure when she looks back on her life the decision to either become a Scientist of Artist is going to greatly change how she lived - hopefully not one in regret. (again she could do it as a hobby but there are academically and artistically challenging art courses I would say)

She's taking an art course outside of school, not sure if it counts as a foundation though. Initially, my parents were kinda supportive about her decision and that's why she's taking the art course.
But even if she's taking the right choice, I'm not sure if it's the best choice for her career and her future. Also when she decided to do art, I kinda got the feeling that she wanted an easy way to get through uni cause that's what people from my country do when they decided to do their degree abroad, generally, not just art in particular. People tend to opted for a not-so-famous university without that much of engagement in their study but still having the prestige of graduating from a UK university, despite how crap the uni actually is.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by indieguy
The thing is the course she intended on applying is not available at top universities, she wants something really specific.
And I don't think it is worth the 15k-a-year tuition fee. Ideally I would want her to pursue STEM subjects.

What course is it that she wants to do? ..sometimes the specific courses offered at lower-ranked universities have much stronger links to industry and better employment prospects.
Reply 7
Original post by memomemootoo
What course is it that she wants to do? ..sometimes the specific courses offered at lower-ranked universities have much stronger links to industry and better employment prospects.

At first, she wanted to do graphic design but then the last time I asked, she wanted to do interior design. The thing with lower-ranked univ is they are not widely known outside UK. And I'm fairly sure she won't be staying in the UK after graduation. Even if she wanted to, I would not be surprised if my parents forbid it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Nope, not worth it.
Depends which industry she wants to go into.
And I don't think it is worth the 15k-a-year tuition fee or about 50k a year all inclusive, also she's only allowed to apply for univ in the south, so she eventually lives not that far from me, which generally will be more expensive. Ideally I would want her to pursue STEM subjects.

You pretty much sum them all up. I already told her that nothing can stop you from joining an art society later at university and she could develop her hobby in her free time. If she finds a way to incorporate that art skills later in her career then that would be even better. I supposed architecture course would be ideal since afaik it incorporates engineering and design.

She's taking an art course outside of school, not sure if it counts as a foundation though. Initially, my parents were kinda supportive about her decision and that's why she's taking the art course.
But even if she's taking the right choice, I'm not sure if it's the best choice for her career and her future. Also when she decided to do art, I kinda got the feeling that she wanted an easy way to get through uni cause that's what people from my country do when they decided to do their degree abroad, generally, not just art in particular. People tend to opted for a not-so-famous university without that much of engagement but still having the prestige of graduating from a UK university, despite how ****ty the uni is.

So much hatred coming from me for these people lol.

why you hating?
Reply 11
Original post by ChickenMadness
why you hating?

I'm not completely sure either. I guess I just hate it when people could get on with their life and get away with pretty much anything just because they have lots of money but no brains. And would hate it even more, if my sister turns out to be one of these people. Or at least, has the same way of thinking as they do.

However, I admire people who try and make real efforts despite all their limitations. But anyway it's outside the context of the thread.
Reply 12
Depends which industry she wants to go into.

She wanted to do graphic design or interior design.

Here is another thought of mine:
The disadvantage of studying abroad is when you go back to your home country, you'll have less connections to 'relevant' people thus it would be harder to get a job, unless you have acquired particular skills that put you on the upper hand. Thus eventually employers will come and look for you, instead of you who do the job hunting.

And I think the degree she's choosing won't put her on the upper hand. I don't think the art courses in my home country vary vastly from the art courses in the UK. Even if they are, I don't think the difference is enough to put her on the upper hand.

The course I'm taking on the other hand, computer science, certainly puts me on the upper hand. I've seen the curriculum they use at top unis in my home country and the assignments they have given. They just don't cover concepts and fundamentals as much and as deep as the top uni here and the difficulty of my assignments are harder by miles. The differences when you're studying at a developed country as opposed to a developing country are just really really apparent. For example, on my third year, I could do a project on Oculus Rift which will never happen if I do my degree in my home country.
(edited 9 years ago)
She wanted to do graphic design or interior design.

Here is another thought of mine:
The disadvantage of studying abroad is when you go back to your home country, you'll have less connections to 'relevant' people thus it would be harder to get a job, unless you have acquired particular skills that put you on the upper hand. Thus eventually employers will come and look for you, instead of you who do the job hunting.

And I think the degree she's choosing won't put her on the upper hand. I don't think the art course in my home country vary vastly from the art course in the UK. Even if it is, I don't think it is enough to put her on the upper hand.

The course I'm taking on the other hand, computer science, certainly puts me on the upper hand. I've seen the curriculum they use at top unis in my home country and the assignments they have given. They just don't cover concepts and fundamentals as much and as deep as I do and the difficulty of my assignments are harder by miles. The differences when you're studying at a developed country as opposed to a developing country are really apparent. For example, on my third year I could do a project on Oculus Rift which will never happen if I do my degree in my home country.

I also do work on Oculus Rift at my uni :tongue: I'm on an "art" course as well. I do game art. Theres also 3D animation and Visual effects if she wants to look into those. They're art courses that have a job at the end if you go to a decent university. (hertfordshire / NUA / bournemouthe / demontfort / etc.)
Reply 14
I also do work on Oculus Rift at my uni :tongue: I'm on an "art" course as well. I do game art. Theres also 3D animation and Visual effects if she wants to look into those. They're art courses that have a job at the end if you go to a decent university. (hertfordshire / NUA / bournemouthe / demontfort / etc.)

That's exactly what I would prefer her to do, a course where she could incorporates her art skill but doesn't put her potential in the field of science into waste.

Original post by yellowcopter
I'm sorry but she'll find herself going nowhere if she does an Art degree, there are little almost no jobs that want an Art graduate. The short answer is simply - never! There is literally nothing you can do with a BA in Art honestly.

The only respectable branch of Art is an Architecture degree (BArch) and whilst respected it is extremely hard to find a job as an architect. Next best is Digital Graphic Designers, who get an alright pay but again the jobs available are quite limited.

Any other form of Art degree is pretty much useless and the only benefit is learning new skills. That's pretty much it. If she is doing 4 Sciences she could get a BSc and get some of the best jobs out there... why is she honestly wasting her time and money on one of the most useless degrees.

Well said.
That's exactly what I would prefer her to do, a course where she could incorporates her art skill but doesn't put her potential in the field of science into waste.

Well said.

I don't know much about interior design but graphic design is something you're better off learning on your own using the internet etc. Same with most art related subjects. Paying £9k a year for a course is only worth it if you're on an award winning course that teaches you stuff that would be difficult to learn on your own.
Reply 16
[INDENT]hello ,
Nope, not worth it.

Thanks,
The Cheesy Animation - Corporate 3D Walkthrough Provider Studio
[/INDENT]
Reply 17
To study art is not to abandon core academic subjects, but rather is a platform to visually explore how the sciences and maths are intrinsically linked to Art. For example, the Fine Art course at Oxford University where in the first year anatomical studies are carried out, to understand the biological components of the human form to adopt an analytical approach to drawing with precision. Art is maths, it is applying formulas and specific measurements to create visually pleasing pieces, perhaps you could research into the golden segment. Furthermore, art is wonderful to explore through the social science of Psychology, particularly how we can appreciate art through cognitive and psycho-physical approaches, to then apply to art work to produce memorable and exciting pieces. The act of Art is undoubtedly a political process, where an individual applies their knowledge or history (alongside compulsory lessons in the History of Art at good universities) to project their moral and economic judgements.

For an individual who is supposed to have such innate ability for Science but the passion for Art, it can only be asked why she has not thought to combine the two. Money can be made from anything, if an individual is motivated enough and talented. If there are doubts over the income of the chosen field, there are doubts over the artist.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Who cares? Do you want to be drone dressed like a clown doing shifts in the office? Thanks, no.
I don't see any point in doing a degree in something you're not passionate about. So many people are so focused on getting a job where you can earn a lot of money but what's the point of having that job if you hate it? Or paying £9000 per year for a course you don't enjoy? Most art courses give work experience modules and many courses not only focus on developing your skills but also teach you how to work and get jobs in the industry. I applied to do photography and there were a couple times I though I should do a more practical subject as I got A*AB and I'd be able to, but I know I'd hate a course where I have to go to a bunch of lectures and do a **** ton of exams and essays. You may have a really good degree from a prestigious university but you could hate you're life because you're stuck in a job you don't like and you wasted your money and time on a course you weren't that interested in in the first place. To me, I'd much rather be an artist and not make a lot of money but doing something I enjoy rather than have a good decent paying job but living a life I'm not happy with.

Quick Reply

Latest